Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Indy" Comebacks...

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I only got the Indy comment once...I just smiled. Like was said earlier, "kill 'em with kindness". :) Due to my enormo-head I can't ever find a decent Fedora anyway (short of spending hundreds of $$ for custom) so I wear a newsboy with my brown A-2. Today I wore a ball cap in blue (-GASP-!) which I'm thinking is more Ernest Hemingway or WWII. No, Hey Hemingway comments yet...just can't get that beard to grow....;)

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
I've only ever encountered the comments with Jones-esque (to the casual, uneducated observer) hats. The homburg only elicits guffaws. To which i rejoinder my best Churchillian scowl

bk

I actually got up the courage to wear my homburg to a screening of Rudolph Valentino movie last night at the vintage theatre here in Austin. I had someone come up to me just to ask what the type of hat I was wearing was called. They were very complimentary however.

At least they didn't say I looked like Indy...

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Sefton said:
I only got the Indy comment once...I just smiled. Like was said earlier, "kill 'em with kindness". :)
I'm right there w/ you and IGB...I just wink and give my lopsided grin. ;) I never have a problem or a confrontation. They are 'in' on the joke.

Doh!

One Too Many
Maybe my parents just raised me right -- or I just don't have that gene -- but I've never felt compelled to go up to a total stranger and mock them for what they were wearing no matter how "deserved" it was (trust me: I live near Melrose and have seen PLENTY of outfits worth mocking ["Hey! It's Sid Vicious -- I thought you were dead!!]").

I just don't get people who think it's normal behavior to mess with other people on ANY level. I guess I'm just getting old...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
green papaya said:
one time in the grocery store I was wearing an A2 leather jacket and khaki trousers, brown desert boots
and a girl starts humming the tune from the Indiana Jones movies and laughing.

For this one:
"May you be disemboweled and left to rot on an ant mound in the curdled milk of your mother."

Man, she was ghastly rude. What a cow.

Otherwise, killing with kindness is the way to go.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
two options

I usuaslly wear my black Stetson Mallory or my grey Dobbs fedora and I get comments like those once in a while. It seems there are two solutions.
One is to go up to person and say "You think that's funny?", pull out a tire iron and beat them about the skull and body, then stand over their limp body yelling "Now who's laughing? Hunh? Now who's laughing?"
The other option is to tip one's hat and smile, maybe adding "Actually, I'm called Wolf." Of course, the name part depends on the individual.
I believe the choice depends on ones mood.

The Wolf

Siirous

One of the Regulars
Here's a new one for you guys

So today I was at the UCF championship football game supporting my team. We were supposed to wear all black clothing so we could shadow the stands. Of course this is a perfect opportunity for me to wear my black stetson, black leather jacket, and black dockers slacks. A drunk sorority girl came up to me and yelled out, "Hey, I like your hat, It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!", which I believe is an dumb song where the singer wore some kind of hat, and started to try and break dance in front of me making a fool of herself. After 30 seconds she stopped and said, "But seriously, I really like that hat, you look great" and stumbled away with her friends.

That was by far the weirdest thing I've had happen so far. Most of the time I just get very complimentary comments.

Sincerely,
Rob

farnham54

A-List Customer
IGB and myself are on the same page.

I usually go with a smile and a thanks, and then be on my way. I like it, and frankly don't give a damn who else does--its not on their head!

Cheers
Craig

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Maybe if someone asks whether you're Indiana Jones, you should laugh knowingly and say, "No, he was my grandfather..." and introduce yourself. That certainly will throw them off.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
"Hey, I like your hat, It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!", which I believe is an dumb song where the singer wore some kind of hat, and started to try and break dance in front of me making a fool of herself. After 30 seconds she stopped and said, "But seriously, I really like that hat, you look great" and stumbled away with her friends.

You do realize that she was coming on to you?

Siirous

One of the Regulars
I am sure she was crushed by my lack of response! :p On a note to keep true to the thread I've only gotten one "Hey Indy" response and I just replied "My hat is black, Indy wore a brown hat. Are you color blind or do you just have no knowledge of what you're making a reference to?"

Sincerely,
Rob

GraveRobberGreg

Familiar Face
I cant say that anyone has ever said anything bad about my fedora. I do though have a little story about my MKVII bag. Bufflehead Jones and I went to tour the Farm where they filmed the Witness staring Harrison Ford. While getting off the tour bus I hear the woman behind me say, " Oh look dear he's got a purse" :) I thought it was kinda funny. I told Bufflehead about it and we had a good laugh. I think the reason is cause my daughter calls it that and how are you going to correct a cute little 2 year old?

Bottum line is I really dont care what other people think of my hat. I know I like them and I love wearing them. Thats good enough for me.

Steve

Practically Family
Whenever someone mocks one of my fedoras, I will calmly compliment them on their exposed backside as they walk through the mall.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Even I get Indy comments, especially when I wear my light brown Borsalinos or my Akubra Federation.

If asked "who are you supposed to be?", I just say "I am me. At least the last I looked, I was."

If they say "Hey, Indy!", I say "no, actually I am his daughter."

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner