Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Indy" Comebacks...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
And if you incounter the small minded indevitual that is just compelled to mock you (wether about a fedora or anything else) just to make him or herself look good in front of their friends, well then, you look them square in the eyes and say, "I'm sorry, but I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed indevidual." This usuall confuses them enough where the can't come up with a snappy one-liner too quickly and they just stand there with the dumb look they were born with. Of course, I've only seen this effectively done. Can't wait to use it some day.
The other one that sounds so great is a line from the movie Fight Club. When the try to quip something clever you smile and casually say, "So, how's that worling for you? You know, being clever.";)

Cheers!

Dan

varga49

One of the Regulars
So far...

I havn't gotten any clever/sarcastic or disparaging comments about any hat I wear! when that time comes. Of course I don't own an indy style fedora (yet!) I see a lot of tourists in town wearing them. I always without fail, say "nice hat" I've actually sold a few of my hats that don't fit that way!:cool:

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
I wear my fedora everyday and I rarely get any comments. Someone I met today said "Howdy", but I think that just might be the way she greets people. I hope she didn't mistake my Adventurebilt for a cowboy hat.

But last year, again as I was wearing my Adventurebilt, someone jokingly said, "Where's your horse?".

I think there are so many fedora wearers here in the San Francisco Bay Area, that people don't have any reason to make silly comments...KC

vespasian

One of the Regulars
The best one I can think of and that generally comes to mind at the time (havent had the need for years) was:

"Sorry mate, I had no idea you were boring."

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Daisy Buchanan and I were speaking about a related subject: what to say when someone asks why are you dressed vintage?

The best I could come up with is to look confused and worried and ask them ,"What do you mean? What year is this?" Then look harried and more confused and scream, "Why are YOU dressed that way? What YEAR IS THIS!!!" And run out of the room screaming, "What year is this? How did I get here!!!".

I am waiting for a chance to try this. ;)

Hemingway Jones said:
Daisy Buchanan and I were speaking about a related subject: what to say when someone asks why are you dressed vintage?

The best I could come up with is to look confused and worried and ask them ,"What do you mean? What year is this?" Then look harried and more confused and scream, "Why are YOU dressed that way? What YEAR IS THIS!!!" And run out of the room screaming, "What year is this? How did I get here!!!".

Followed by Twilight Zone theme music from a nearby ipod. ;)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It could only happen to me ...

Yesterday I took my Dad out to eat at the local steak house. It was after church, and I was dressed in a grey wool-tweed coat, grey wool-tweed vest, white shirt, red tie, and black wool pants. I was wearing a grey, snap-brim fedora.

As we were going through the line, one of the ladies behind the counter said, "You look just like Mat Dillon" (from Gunsmoke - that is). I smiled and said "thank you" and went on, all the time thinking to myself "how in the heck does she get Mat Dillon?" Of course maybe she meant I looked like James Arnes, not his character Mat Dillon - but I doubt it.

When I got home I took a long look in the mirror to see if there was any way I resembled "Mat Dillon", but I couldn't see anything. I'm still scratching my head over that one. If I had received an "Indy comment" I could have (kind of) understood, but Mat Dillon - give me a break!

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:

:p
hehehehe...if only we could time it so I run in wearing my Star Trek uniform the moment you run out, then follow after you w/ the phaser drawn..."The temporal prime directive must not be broken! We must restore the space-time continuum before this dimension tears itself apart!"

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rigby Reardon said:
hehehehe...if only we could time it so I run in wearing my Star Trek uniform the moment you run out, then follow after you w/ the phaser drawn..."The temporal prime directive must not be broken! We must restore the space-time continuum before this dimension tears itself apart!"
That sounds like a project for next year's QM!
Rigby, I'm glad you got to see this. I knew you would appreciate it!
:) :) :)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Rigby Reardon said:

A friend of mine was at a Renaissance fair w/ his girlfriend a few years ago. He noticed another couple adjusting their robes. Then he realized they were wearing trek uniforms underneath the medieval garb.
They sort of winked & motioned finger to lips to keep the secret.
He rolled his eyes & never returned.

Mycroft

One Too Many
MrBern said:
A friend of mine was at a Renaissance fair w/ his girlfriend a few years ago. He noticed another couple adjusting their robes. Then he realized they were wearing trek uniforms underneath the medieval garb.

That is an ancarism if I ever saw (or heard of) one.

android

One of the Regulars
Weirdest comment I've had was on a cold, rainy night. I'm wearing my grey fedora and a khaki Burberry trench I bought on eBay. A woman comes up and says I look like Sherlock Holmes.

Huh? I could understand Dick Tracy or Inspector Gadget, but Sherlock Holmes?

I just gave her a WTF look and went on my way.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MrBern said:
I went to a Renaissance Fair and there was a fellow dressed in full Klingon regalia, bumps on the forehead and everything. It was bizarre.

Steve

Practically Family
android said:
Weirdest comment I've had was on a cold, rainy night. I'm wearing my grey fedora and a khaki Burberry trench I bought on eBay. A woman comes up and says I look like Sherlock Holmes.

Huh? I could understand Dick Tracy or Inspector Gadget, but Sherlock Holmes?

I just gave her a WTF look and went on my way.
Well, the newest adaptations that I've seen of the Sherlock Holmes stories have him as being a bit more contemporary-looking, so she might not have been a complete half-wit. ;)

Feraud

Bartender
When no comeback is necessary!

MrBern and I met for lunch today.
It was the first time meeting anyone from the Lounge and I had a great time. We were both wearing fedoras and leather jackets. As we are chatting in front of my office building and saying our goodbyes a guy pops up out of nowhere. He grabs my hand to shake and says, "that is a great hat!" and quickly walks off as I say thank you. MrBern is looking at me wondering if I know the guy!! I told him I have no idea who that was. That was the first time I received such an enthusiastic comment from anyone!

I think that might have convinced MrBern to get an Akubra. :fedora: ;)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
All lies. Pure fantasy. I wore my startrek shirt all day!

Feraud said:
MrBern and I met for lunch today.
It was the first time meeting anyone from the Lounge and I had a great time. We were both wearing fedoras and leather jackets. As we are chatting in front of my office building and saying our goodbyes a guy pops up out of nowhere. He grabs my hand to shake and says, "that is a great hat!" and quickly walks off as I say thank you. MrBern is looking at me wondering if I know the guy!! I told him I have no idea who that was. That was the first time I received such an enthusiastic comment from anyone!

I think that might have convinced MrBern to get an Akubra. :fedora: ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk