Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Indy" Comebacks...

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I used to get comments, depending on what I was wearing - "hey it's Indy/a private eye/Al Capone" etc. Nowadays I mostly get compliments. To be precise, people over 40 often compliment me on my clothes and ask where I got particular items....but young people here no longer have the cultural references to make any sort of comment.

I have to admit I was seriously embarassed on one occasion...back in 1980 whatever when i went to see the first Indiana Jones movie - in total innocence, knowing nothing about it - wearing an A2 jacket and a fedora, as I often did back then. The movie opens and there's this cat dressed just like me. On the way out I felt like every eye was looking at me.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
well funnily enough....I quite frequently get asked (usually by teenage girls) if I am someone famous! I think it's because the only references most kids now have to the clothes I wear are movies, and partly that thing of looking smart but moving in unsmart circles. But the only time I was asked for my autograph was about five years ago - on our way to play a gig, me and a mate stopped for a drink at a pub on ther outskirts of Manchester and this lass came over and asked if we were "celebs", which certainly made me raise a quizzical eyebrow. We assured her we were but humble dance musicians but we had to sign a scrap of paper (suitably illegibly of course) to make her go away.

Barry

Practically Family
Not an Indy comment exactly but along the same lines. I went into a bar and have had different reactions to my caps. Once the bartender remarked that I looked like I stepped out of a Graham Greene novel...I was wearing a tweed cap and jacket at the time (that I take as a compliment).

I walked into the same bar wearing similar clothing (actually, what you see in my avatar) and some regulars started making pirate like noises (Arrrghh, matey) which I assumed were directed towards me.

I just let it go.

Barry

Mycroft

One Too Many
I just say I just got back from an Expedition and role play it, they eventually get disinterseted and leave. Also, just say thanks, or cheers, or thank you, and you just annoy them because they are expecting you to lash out on them. Or, I go up to them an explain in very complex deatails why I am not Indy, such as this is a Lago Misimo hat, not an Akubra or Adventurebuilt (SP?) or this is a 20's jacket not a 30's, nodice the pockets how they are made for..., you all get the picture.

riccardo

Practically Family
Yeah...

...someone said me, wearing my Borsalino's, you are like Godfather...("il padrino" he said)...
...someone else ask me "hey where are your pistols?"...and I answer him " i don't need them, I've got my hands,would you try?"...if he is smaller than me...:)
...someone else ask me where my horse is...
...someone call me "hi sheriff"...
But I always remember Dante Alighieri phrase :"non ti curar di loro, ma guarda e passa..." !

Best regards.
Riccardo.

matei

One Too Many
The Mad Hatter said:
So long as I'm not mistaken for Crocodile Dundee, they can say anything they like :)

BTW: I'm on record as having said the only thing you won't find me wearing in public is a Sherlock Holmes hat.

Ha ha - oddly enough I've had several people come up to me and ask if I was trying to look like those two characters... unreal...

zeus36

A-List Customer
Since I live in Southern California, I say that we just finshed more screen testing/ stunt work for the upcoming Indiana Jones IV, but can't give out any of the details. :)

Mostly I wear my Dobbs, but sometimes my Federation Standard is on my head for work purposes. Rarely do I wear the Wested alone with a brown fedora, usually I have a trench coat over the Wested. Two days ago an F-16 ground crewman said I looked like Van Helsing on the flight line! ( I'm in still in Scotland at an RAF base, and it is quite cold!)

Siirous

One of the Regulars
Barry said:
I walked into the same bar wearing similar clothing (actually, what you see in my avatar) and some regulars started making pirate like noises (Arrrghh, matey) which I assumed were directed towards me.

I just let it go.

Barry

A pirate? In a tweed cap and jacket? That's not even close to Captian Hook, good idea to let it go.

Sincerely,
Rob

Michaelson

One Too Many
It's been a LONG time since that's happened. If I hear anything now, it's 'look Mom...a cowboy!':rolleyes:

The LAST time it DID occur it was a kid trying to impress his little group of buddies. I looked square at the guy, and absolutely deadpan, asked 'Who?'

He tried to explain who Indiana Jones was, all the while me still poker faced, and when he was done, simply said 'Oh.' then turned back to what I was doing with no further comment.

He left red faced, his friends giving him the 'hee ha'. ;)

Of course, my wife elbowed me, saying "that was mean...good, but mean.":)

Regards! Michaelson

Lion

New in Town
I had a lady tell me she liked my hat today; said it looked like something Al Roker would wear. That's the first time I've been compared to anyone. Indy would have been a bit better for my ego, I think. Still, she was beening nice, so I thanked her.

Leo

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
You know, I forgot about this, because I was only thinking about comebacks to insults...but I got a compliment one day and had no clue how to handle it.

I'd just gotten my AB in the mail the day before - so it was the first time I was wearing it about town, so it was funny someone complimented it right away. We were in a store - me, my wife, and my little girls - and they had gotten a little ahead of me.

Suddenly a salesgirl walks up to me and says, "Love the hat. Love the jacket. Take me on the adventure?" :p

Hunh? Took me a moment to figure out what she'd said...the only reply I could think of was to call to my wife, "Honey? She wants to come help us pick out pajamas for the girls." ;)

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
One very passive option.....

After working with the worst of society all day....Then to recieved the Indy comment.....?

I think this is when I would have to control my temper, calmly take my cover off of my head, smile (A very casual smile), then drive my forehead into the bridge of their nose and then shine my wingtips with their insides.............

Did I say that outloud????? Did I actually write that????

What I mean is I would simply correct the poor missguided soul and help them realize the error of their ways.....

Yeah, that's what I meant to say!

BLB

Siirous

One of the Regulars
Brody, with that kind of passive aggressive behavior you must either be a cashier or hold a government job, lol. I feel your pain, having been in customer service for years.

Sincerely,
Rob

vespasian

One of the Regulars
My best experience was in a grey fedora and black suit at a christmas party recently. A girl came up and chatted, drawn by the hat, which was what we call in blighty, a bit of a result. She was then followed by a work colleague who proceeded to tell me "I was quite a dish without the hat and he (yes HE) had wondered when I first walked in, who's the freak in the hat."

It took a few seconds to sink in then I said, "Freak in the hat? Yeah right mate, lets talk freak, youre gay arent you?" My continous laughing made him go red, mutter a few things and slink away.

Now I have no problem with anyones sexuality, but I do have a problem with tolerance, especially from those who have spent the last 50 years demanding it.

I havent had the Indy comment just yet, infact I generally walk around with such a scowl that people dont make eye contact much. It is of course Christmas, the shops are packed, and I dont like shopping!

Prof. Ed

New in Town
I've just gotten back into the "Indy" thing. I wear my Fed Deluxe with my Wested. I'm waiting for a comment and must say that the thought of one bothers me.
I have recently walked around the college campus where I teach each fall semester and not a word. My grey beard must make the students think that I'm an old prof. and this is expected.
As far as in public, the look has not been commented on. I believe if I carried my MKVll then it would be a different story.
I have worked for years to try and be an easy going person. I have had a terrible temper in the past and all it does is get you in trouble or make you ill.
Thus, I suppose if I do get a comment, I'll tip my fedora and go about my business. Hopefully!

Best regards,

Ol' Prof. Ed

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Prof. Ed said:
I've just gotten back into the "Indy" thing. I wear my Fed Deluxe with my Wested. I'm waiting for a comment and must say that the thought of one bothers me.
I have recently walked around the college campus where I teach each fall semester and not a word. My grey beard must make the students think that I'm an old prof. and this is expected.

Prof, you look so dapper you can get away with it. Also for a professor on campus you have quite a bit more leeway.

Regards,
KT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff