Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Merry Christmas and did you get anything outstanding thread!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Amy Jeanne said:
My husband got me an 8 gig iPod Nano. I only have 246 songs in it so far, but most of them are from the 20s and 30s! .....

Great gift, especially to use as you have noted! :D

Where do you find songs from the 20's and 30's? I mentioned these for Christmas but no one could find any original recordings?

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
pdxvintagette said:
My family gathering was very small and low key today, it was really lovely. My dad put together a shadow-box for me, it contains a picture of myself (at 2ish?) with my mother, and two pictures of myself at the same age holding a pink rabbit and wearing a little grey and pink dress mother made for me. What makes it wonderful is that the box ALSO contains the dress and the rabbit. Mother passed away in 1993, so things that help us remember her at Christmastime are extra special.

I found this outstanding, and there's not a bit of consumerism to it!

What a neat idea! I bet it is really cute, and so meaningful for you. Score one for Dad! :eusa_clap

$ally

One Too Many
I spent time with family and friends, enjoyed a solemn candlelight service, received many amazingly thoughtful gifts, also got a total of 22 scented candles lol (that's all I asked), made music/played carols, contributed to the community, then laid around relaxing. Blissful.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
pdxvintagette said:
My family gathering was very small and low key today, it was really lovely. My dad put together a shadow-box for me, it contains a picture of myself (at 2ish?) with my mother, and two pictures of myself at the same age holding a pink rabbit and wearing a little grey and pink dress mother made for me. What makes it wonderful is that the box ALSO contains the dress and the rabbit. Mother passed away in 1993, so things that help us remember her at Christmastime are extra special.

I found this outstanding, and there's not a bit of consumerism to it!

That is truly a wonderful way to remember your mother at Christmas. It is something I'll have to keep in mind for next Christmas and beyond, as quite sadly, my mother passed away yesterday morning. Needless to say, this wasn't the merriest Christmas for our family. I think something like that shadowbox idea would be a great way to remember my mother as well. I have many of her mementos, and I think my father would find it very touching. Thanks for posting that.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
KilroyCD said:
That is truly a wonderful way to remember your mother at Christmas. It is something I'll have to keep in mind for next Christmas and beyond, as quite sadly, my mother passed away yesterday morning. Needless to say, this wasn't the merriest Christmas for our family. I think something like that shadowbox idea would be a great way to remember my mother as well. I have many of her mementos, and I think my father would find it very touching. Thanks for posting that.

Good heavens, please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother. I can't imagine how difficult a holiday this must be for you. I hope that you have many good memories of happier times with her. I am so sorry. :(

We lost my grandbaby back in September, when my daughter was at 35 weeks. It has made Christmas a little different for us this year, and really brought home what is important. I would have been happy not receiving anything as long as my two kids were here. Having them be ok was a gift enough. I don't need ANYONE to tell me what is truly important.

Jovan

Suspended
I got a couple of cool things. :)

holiday2007009.jpg

Rather funny and engaging book. Shatner puts aside his ego to bring an inside look at the often miraculous, and often shaky, history of one of my favourite series.

holiday2007011.jpg

How un-vintage of me! I wasn't expecting it, that's for sure. Mark (stepfather) said I could return it to get something else, but in the spirit of great music (and watching videos and picture sharing on the go) I think I'll keep it. Hey, I can always play old school music to sate the appetites of my fellow Loungers. :p

KittyT said:
Because I find that most people completely fail to think about things like this altogether, unless someone points it out to them.
I agree with you on many things, but your holiday spirit is seriously lacking today! And I too think the best way to protest would be to not post anything in here at all. [huh]

Miss Brill

One Too Many
KilroyCD said:

I am so sorry to hear that.

$ally

One Too Many
KilroyCD said:
I'm so sorry to hear that, my sympathy to you and yours.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Miss Brill said:
That is terrible. Please wish your daughter well for us.

Thank you, that is very kind of you to say so. :eek: I bought an ornament for my tree and my daughter's tree so that my granddaughter has her own little item for us to put on there every year for her. She was a very pretty baby and looked like my daughter.

Ok, sorry for the :eek:fftopic: ....I am enjoying hearing all about everyone's loot...and all the lovely stories!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
RedHotRidinHood said:
Good heavens, please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother. I can't imagine how difficult a holiday this must be for you. I hope that you have many good memories of happier times with her. I am so sorry. :(

We lost my grandbaby back in September, when my daughter was at 35 weeks. It has made Christmas a little different for us this year, and really brought home what is important. I would have been happy not receiving anything as long as my two kids were here. Having them be ok was a gift enough. I don't need ANYONE to tell me what is truly important.

RedHotRidinHood, thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your grandbaby back in September. I sure that there was a certain feeling of emptiness (for lack of a better way to describe it) this year for you as well. My sincere condolences.
You are so very right about it bringing home what is important. My father, bless him, is 84 years old and was totally devoted to my mother. This loss is devastating for him, but he has been strong through it. We made sure he spent Christmas with as much of our familty as humanly possible. Though he lost the woman he was married to for almost 60 years (tomorrow would have been their 60th wedding anniversary), he was still as upbeat as possible because we were all there with him and for him. Family and the ones you love are what is most important.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
KilroyCD said:
RedHotRidinHood, thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your grandbaby back in September. I sure that there was a certain feeling of emptiness (for lack of a better way to describe it) this year for you as well. My sincere condolences.
You are so very right about it bringing home what is important. My father, bless him, is 84 years old and was totally devoted to my mother. This loss is devastating for him, but he has been strong through it. We made sure he spent Christmas with as much of our familty as humanly possible. Though he lost the woman he was married to for almost 60 years (tomorrow would have been their 60th wedding anniversary), he was still as upbeat as possible because we were all there with him and for him. Family and the ones you love are what is most important.

I wish I could give you hug...and your dad too. Thank you. :)

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Let's get this thread back on track now...

Sorry, but I didn't mean to derail the thread. I'm still waiting for my outstanding Christmas item, as it's still enroute from Ecuador - a Panama hat that is coming from Montecristi.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
KilroyCD said:
That is truly a wonderful way to remember your mother at Christmas. It is something I'll have to keep in mind for next Christmas and beyond, as quite sadly, my mother passed away yesterday morning. Needless to say, this wasn't the merriest Christmas for our family.

Oh, Kilroy, I'm so so sorry for your loss and yours as well Red.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Jovan said:

holiday2007009.jpg

Rather funny and engaging book. Shatner puts aside his ego to bring an inside look at the often miraculous, and often shaky, history of one of my favourite series.

holiday2007011.jpg

How un-vintage of me! I wasn't expecting it, that's for sure. Mark (stepfather) said I could return it to get something else, but in the spirit of great music (and watching videos and picture sharing on the go) I think I'll keep it. Hey, I can always play old school music to sate the appetites of my fellow Loungers. :p

Jovan, you look especially sharp today! And I thought about getting that book for my beau, so thanks for the recommendation!

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Jovan said:

holiday2007009.jpg

Is that your new pocket square I see?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
Great gift, especially to use as you have noted! :D

Where do you find songs from the 20's and 30's? I mentioned these for Christmas but no one could find any original recordings?

You can buy CDs on amazon.com. The ASV Living Era record label has put out TONS of period music from the 10s to the 50s on CD. They have a series called The Hits Of... and they span year-by-year from 1920 up into the 1950s. I have 1920 to 1939. Not to mention all the cool "themed" compilations (all female singers, all crooners, "naughty" songs, Charlestons, etc) and single singers and orchestras. Great stuff.

Try this link:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...h-alias=popular&field-keywords=ASV+Living+era

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24