Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The two tilts"

Sam Craig

One Too Many
tilt says a lot

What a cute video!

Out here in the West, however, you have several tilts.

There are the two shown, of course, but there are several others that say so much.

The tilt back, setting the hat on the back of your head, which is a friendly tilt, welcoming conversation and joke telling.

The extreme forward tilt ... further than shown in the video ... serves as a warning, sort of like the raising of a dog's neck hair.

If you're in a bar and a quiet, sturdy-looking guy is serious about his drink and has his Stetson set at an angle that barely clears his eyebrows, be smart and leave him alone.

Take your drink across the room and watch, because the dance is about to start.

Yep. Tilts say a lot!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Fun clips! Thanks for sharing. I hope that you will continue to contribute to the Forum! :)

Pduck

One of the Regulars
I tend to wear my hat tilted back a bit. It makes me feel more friendly and Will Rogers-ish. I do take some guff from my GF and sister though. They say it emphasizes my high forehead (which goes all the way to the back of my head).

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
I'm a big fan of silent film, and this little clip just shows how much can be conveyed in a short space without dialogue.

Oh, and I altered my tilt from right to left after watching this!

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I just cannot make myself wear my fedora tilted. I've tried it and it feels unnatural. Also, I don't think grumpy goes together with a fedora worn straight: I tend to smile (unless I'm actually feeling grumpy that is) which should counter any such effect.

However, the videos are great! :)

Rider

Familiar Face
Very well done and very enjoyable. The tilt adds a little dash to what is an otherwise rather plain appearance.

alden

New in Town
Thanks

Thanks to all of you for the kind messages.

I do read the Fedora Lounge often and would very much like to participate more. As you will see from my videos, there is a topper of some kind on my head most of the time.

Recently I designed some of my own hats working with the last bespoke hatmaker in France. You guys in the States are really spoiled with Art and Graham and others. In Europe our resources are a bit more limited. But I would be happy to hear your comments.

http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9220&p=45682#p45682

Cheers

Michael Alden

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Alden, your video is actually inspiring me to try this out more often. Usually, I wear my fedora straight, but now I sometimes give it a slight, yet subtle tilt.

chum

Familiar Face
I enjoyed this very much as well! My fedoras looked tilted when they are not because my right ear is lower than my left.
It makes me wonder which side I should tilt it to...[huh]

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Back in about 1958 ... I was a little buy still, but I remember this like it was yesterday

The box arrived in the mail and I was thrilled to find out it was mine

Inside was my very own Roy Rogers cowboy hat

It was tax with a bonnet string and "Roy Rogers" stenciled on the front

I remember my Dad explaining to me that you always wanted to tilt your hat and that the appropriate way was to tilt it to the right

I honestly hadn't thought of that moment in years, but, man, I remember it so clearly

I have ALWAYS tilted my hat to the right from that day to this ... no matter what the style ... tilt to the right

Sam

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
"Quand on a que l'amour". What a powerful songwriter he was!

Tears of emotion, ami, and that small pride (too) common in Belgians

And, I wish to add for topic's sake, "elegance".
Noblesse oblige, Monsieur.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, what nice little videos. I think the best part is getting to have a little two minute visit to Paris. I've learned a lot in just a short while. I particularly like the discussions of the various types of coats.
I must say, I wear a fedora every day when the weather permits, but they always seem to want to center themselves. Sometimes i coax them into a tilr, but often they do what they want. My fedora tilt role model is Spencer Tracy, by the way. The man knew how to pull a hat onto his head. Likewise, anything Jean Gabin had to say is of interest to me.
OT, you may have seen the wonderful Charles Boyer - Hedy Lamarr flick "Algiers", but you should also track down the original French version with Jean Gabin. Utterly, utterly cool. Great chick flick, too. To me it's completely the equal of Casablanca.
Looking forward to more short walks in Paris!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points