Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Camera Club Thread

Warbaby

One Too Many
Count me into the club. I used to have quite a large collection of vintage cameras, but sold off the rare and exotic ones over the years as they became worth more on the market than they were to me. I still have a half-dozen or so that are my favorites - mostly early 4x5 plate cameras that are still functional. No pix yet because I put them in storage when we moved to Amsterdam 4 years ago. I'm hoping to get our storage stuff shipped up here to Canadia before the summer is over and I'll post pix when I get them.

freebird

Practically Family
HELP!!!!

I have a question I'd like to pose. I've shot 200 and pushed it to 400 (asa), is it possible to go the opposite direction? Say from asa (ISO) 400 to 200?

The reason why I ask, when I purchased film for the medium format, I picked 400 asa only to discover the camera only accepts up to 200 asa. If I'm not mistaken, and correct me if I'm wrong here-it's been far too many years since I've shot film, could I not shoot at 200 and use longer exposure times? I've also read where it doesn't make any differance, but I don't believe everything I read on the net.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Here is my latest purchase:
falcon1.jpg

A Falcon Miniature!

Samantha

Eyemo

Practically Family
freebird said:
I have a question I'd like to pose. I've shot 200 and pushed it to 400 (asa), is it possible to go the opposite direction? Say from asa (ISO) 400 to 200?

The reason why I ask, when I purchased film for the medium format, I picked 400 asa only to discover the camera only accepts up to 200 asa. If I'm not mistaken, and correct me if I'm wrong here-it's been far too many years since I've shot film, could I not shoot at 200 and use longer exposure times? I've also read where it doesn't make any differance, but I don't believe everything I read on the net.
Have you shot the film??.. If so and it was black white neg, or colour neg you shot, then the films latitude would allow for this mistake and the lab would correct in printing. Shooting colour transparency would be another issue.

If you haven’t shot the film yet, then just shoot on a shutter speed higher than what your light meter would read. ie. If it says 1/60th shoot at 1/125th. Bearing in mind that old cameras can be a bit temperamental, and today’s films have quite a lot of latitude I don’t think you’ll have any problems getting an image.

Hope this helps..

freebird

Practically Family
Eyemo said:
Have you shot the film??.. If so and it was black white neg, or colour neg you shot, then the films latitude would allow for this mistake and the lab would correct in printing. Shooting colour transparency would be another issue.

If you haven’t shot the film yet, then just shoot on a shutter speed higher than what your light meter would read. ie. If it says 1/60th shoot at 1/125th. Bearing in mind that old cameras can be a bit temperamental, and today’s films have quite a lot of latitude I don’t think you’ll have any problems getting an image.

Hope this helps..

Nope, sure haven't. I'll try to get out and shoot some this weekend, drive down to an old Indian cemetery to snap a few. Maybe on down to the lake. Will be nice to just get out and see what I can see to shoot.

I did get black and white print film (the film in question) as well as some color print film,the color is actually 160 ISO, so it shouldn't pose that big of a problem. Can't wait to see what develops so to speak.

Eyemo

Practically Family
freebird said:
Nope, sure haven't. I'll try to get out and shoot some this weekend, drive down to an old Indian cemetery to snap a few. Maybe on down to the lake. Will be nice to just get out and see what I can see to shoot.

I did get black and white print film (the film in question) as well as some color print film,the color is actually 160 ISO, so it shouldn't pose that big of a problem. Can't wait to see what develops so to speak.

And just to add...sometimes shooting on the wrong film speed can add to an effect when shooting using vintage equipment....But that's another story;) :)

zaika

One Too Many
wow. you guys make me want to start collecting cameras now.

first phones...then radios...even those really cool microphones...STOP IT!! lol

may i be a member of this club? i only have two cameras, but i love them dearly. i'm actually going to go to a camera shop here in portland that will be able to help me see if the ones i have are still operable. both belonged to my grandmother. one is a Brownie Hawkeye (yeah, i know...there are millions of these things out therre) and the other one is a Spartus Full-Vue. the brownie seems like it's okay to use (in fact i'm hoping to shoot some photos w/ it on my upcoming roadtrip), but the spartus i'm not so sure about. anyone know much about that one?

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Zaika, Its ok to only have two cameras! I only have two also! We can be camera newbies together(I have no clue how to operate my new one!).lol Wait would we be considered junior members then, since we have five?:D

Samantha

zaika

One Too Many
retrogirl1941 said:
Its sounds snappier!lol A special title for camera-collectors in training!lol

Samantha

it's fabulous. ;)

i bet the rest of the members will be very amused. lol

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
There are some outstanding cameras in this thread!

Here are are the only cameras I have left. I use both on a regular basis.

vintagecameras-1.jpg

Cherry Red, Here are some photos taken at the beach with the baby Brownie like yours. They were manufactured between 1934 and 1940 and cost only $1.00 at the time.

BabyBrownieII.jpg

The other is my 1941 Kodak 35. This is the only other film camera I use any more. Mostly for living history events.

Some photos from the 35

IkeFarm.jpg

AC.jpg

Marks40plymouth.jpg

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
I find it very amusing... lol lol lol

But I'm only too happy to have you ladies as members, whether you want to be Junior or otherwise... :p :eusa_clap

- TGB

zaika said:
it's fabulous. ;)

i bet the rest of the members will be very amused. lol

zaika

One Too Many
I don't know if this will be the right thread or not...but I just got back from the camera store. You guys would love it! Blue Moon Camera and Machine in Portland, Ore. It's chock full of really neat stuff, most of it is old. Seriously. This is what they do. They even sell vintage typewriters...

Anyway. So they very graciously outfitted my cameras with film (one with a new 120 spool), and now I'm itching to go out there and take pictures. However, it was a tad expensive. I ended up with four rolls of film for each camera (one takes 620 the other 120). Two b/w and two color for each camera. Since there aren't that many exposures, I want to be super selective about what I take photos of.

Do you guys have any advice or guidelines about composition or lighting or anything like that? I'm taking these babies with me on my cross country road trip, so I'd like to have some things to keep in mind as I snap away.

Thank you!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto