Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Camera Club Thread

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Zaika, with box cameras, the following tips are the basics:

1. Load your film indoors or in shade, never in direct sunlight, keeping the roll tight and after closing the back, wind on till number 1 shows in the red window.

2. Keep the sun behind you when taking your photos. Simple, uncoated lenses suffer from flare (reflections) in direct sun, and even with bright skies.

3. Remember the sharpest point will be about 8-10 feet away unless you have a close-up lever.

4. Squeeze the shutter release lever carefully, don't jab. And don't hold your breath! It will cause camera shake, not stop it. Let your breath out gently, then squeeze.

5. Always remember to wind on immediately after taking your photo, to avoid taking two photos on top of each other. The camera does not prevent this.

6. Unload your film indoors or in shade, never in direct sunlight.

By the way, don't expect too great results from the colour film, it's usable but your lenses won't be corrected for it. Hope you got slow film, 125 iso or less, as these cameras can't cope with fast film (above 200 iso) in normal daytime weather.

Composition with a square negative is pretty much anything goes as most photographers compose the print afterwards. Otherwise, try the Rule of Thirds, ie see your frame as split into thirds horizontally and vertically. Elements of your subject placed on the lines or the junctions of these lines tend to form a a pleasing composition.

Have a look at these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutorials/compose_expose/thirds.html

And if you're taking landscapes, think about the foreground, it's good to have something near as well as far to lead you into the scene. A road or river winding in from the corner of the frame often looks good.

Hope this helps!

- TGB

zaika said:
I don't know if this will be the right thread or not...but I just got back from the camera store. You guys would love it! Blue Moon Camera and Machine in Portland, Ore. It's chock full of really neat stuff, most of it is old. Seriously. This is what they do. They even sell vintage typewriters...

Anyway. So they very graciously outfitted my cameras with film (one with a new 120 spool), and now I'm itching to go out there and take pictures. However, it was a tad expensive. I ended up with four rolls of film for each camera (one takes 620 the other 120). Two b/w and two color for each camera. Since there aren't that many exposures, I want to be super selective about what I take photos of.

Do you guys have any advice or guidelines about composition or lighting or anything like that? I'm taking these babies with me on my cross country road trip, so I'd like to have some things to keep in mind as I snap away.

Thank you!!

zaika

One Too Many
thank you. the rule of thirds is the sort of thing that could help me get the most out of the photos. :D can't waste money on being haphazard and trigger happy. lol

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I'm a little late joining this thread...

I'm a little late joining this thread, but here are some shots of part of my vintage camera collection.
100_1221.jpg

From left to right, Ansco Betax No. 2, Kodak FPK Automatic, Kodak Vest Pocket Model B Autographic

100_1311.jpg

From left to right (on shelf): Kodak 1A Autographic, Kodak Tourist, Kodak No. 1 Pocket Jr., Kodak Cine-Eight. Under shelf, Argus Argoflex E.

100_1314.jpg

Kodak 35RF with Flash

100_1310.jpg

1942 Dated Brownie Target Six-20

100_1315.jpg

WWII-era Kodak 35, German Kodak Brownie Junior 620 (which was taken from a German soldier during WWII).

100_1322.jpg

A trio of Arguses (Argii?). Top: 1941 Argus AA with flash and case. My father gave this camera to my mother at Christmas, 1941. Bottom left: Prewar Argus C-3. Bottom right: Prewar Argus Model A with box.

100_1323.jpg

1940s Graflex Anniversary Model Speed Graphic 4x5 with a few of its accessories.

Does this mean I can join the club?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DSC02719.jpg

Here's my vintage camera, a Kodak "Vigilant" Six-20. Back about 30 years ago I "found" this old camera in a trunk at my grandmother's house. It still had a roll of film in it, so I snapped a couple pictures to finish out the roll and had the film developed. To my surprise, along with the pictures I took there were several shots of the 1950 Morganton Christmas Parade!

I used the camera for several years after that, taking all kinds of pictures. The old camera got me started taking "real" pictures, and so I moved up to a "modern" 35 mm camera and "retired" the old Kodak 620.

That's been 20 or so years ago, and the old camera still has a partially used roll of film in it, and now I've forgotten what was on that roll. It would be nice to get it developed and see what is there.

I know that this old camera has been around my grandmother's house for many, many years. Could any of you experts on these things give me an idea of how old this camera may be. also, are there sources for obtaining film and developing?

Warbaby

One Too Many
I was looking through my collection of vintage graphics this morning and found a great old illustration of a photographer and his camera. Not sure of the exact date, but it's prior to 1920. I think it would make a nifty club logo...

FLVCCcr.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Big Man said:
DSC02719.jpg

Here's my vintage camera, a Kodak "Vigilant" Six-20. Back about 30 years ago I "found" this old camera in a trunk at my grandmother's house. It still had a roll of film in it, so I snapped a couple pictures to finish out the roll and had the film developed. To my surprise, along with the pictures I took there were several shots of the 1950 Morganton Christmas Parade!

I used the camera for several years after that, taking all kinds of pictures. The old camera got me started taking "real" pictures, and so I moved up to a "modern" 35 mm camera and "retired" the old Kodak 620.

That's been 20 or so years ago, and the old camera still has a partially used roll of film in it, and now I've forgotten what was on that roll. It would be nice to get it developed and see what is there.

I know that this old camera has been around my grandmother's house for many, many years. Could any of you experts on these things give me an idea of how old this camera may be. also, are there sources for obtaining film and developing?
The Kodak Vigilant Six-20 was made between 1939 and 1949. There are a number of companies processing 620 film, and a search online should come up with some. One in particular is rather reasonable, Dwayne's Photo ( www.dwaynesphoto.com ). Good luck!

Starius

Practically Family
Man, there are some smokin hot cameras in this thread. Some of you guys have exposed me to the jealousy bug!

If anyone is curious as to what most of my collection consists of, they're still viewable here in this thread. (Plus many other members have neat pics of cameras there too.)

I'd love to be a member of the Vintage Camera Club though.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KilroyCD said:
The Kodak Vigilant Six-20 was made between 1939 and 1949. There are a number of companies processing 620 film, and a search online should come up with some. One in particular is rather reasonable, Dwayne's Photo ( www.dwaynesphoto.com ). Good luck!

Thanks for the information.

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Okie doke! I've been oogling everyone's cameras for way too long so I guess it's time to show my own! I don't have nearly as many as I'd like to but hey- it's a start! And these are pretty much all of my older cams. I've got a couple Minolta X-700's, an Olympus OM2N, a Canon Elan7 and 7E, a Canon EOS 20D, a Mamiya RB67, an RZ67, a couple Polaroid Land Cameras, a Holga and some other goodies.

Brownie.jpg

FlashBulbs.jpg

Kodak.jpg

MotionPicture.jpg

Spartus.jpg

And my favorites! The Westons and the Speed Graphic!!!
Westons.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
You have a nice collection there, Scuffy. What size is your Speedster? Is it 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 (the "Mini" Speed Graphic) or 3 1/4 x 4 1/4? It looks a little smaller than my 4x5. Yours looks like an Anniversary Model and not a Pacemaker, so I'm going to guess it's the 3 1/4 x 4 /14, as they didn't make an Anniversary "Mini".

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Many thanks Lee!

On a side note- in the last pic I posted there are two Weston Master II light meters. The one with the black face was manufactured in the Newark, NJ plant. The other, with the white face, was made at the England plant. I love my Master II more than the newer Sekonic I have. And to those who still use a Weston or have one that the selenium cell is failing in... there is hope! I recently came across a place online that repaired and/or replaced the selenium cells in many Weston models! I'll see if I can dig up a link... so stay tuned!

And excellent deduction KilroyCD!!!! It is indeed the 3 1/4 by 4 1/4! I bought some 4x5 film from Freestyle and plan on cutting it down in my darkroom some time.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Scuffy said:
... And to those who still use a Weston or have one that the selenium cell is failing in... there is hope! I recently came across a place online that repaired and/or replaced the selenium cells in many Weston models! I'll see if I can dig up a link... so stay tuned!...
I would be interested, as I'm not going to trust the selenium cell in mine for much longer.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Vintage film processing question for all you vintage film gurus.

Wow! A vintage camera club, swell! :) I will have to post pics of my stuff soon as my digital's battery charges.:rolleyes:
Anyway, in my travels today I found a nifty old 36 exposure roll of Dupont Superior2 35mm film in it's original box. Only a buck! :)
"Develop before Aug. 1946" stamped on the side. Although I'm 62 years late or so, I'm still going to get it developed. It may just have never before seen pics of D-day or something on it. lol
Anyway, as far as I have been able to investigate it, it seems to be just an ordinary black and white print film.
So my question is,...what process chemistry does it need for developing, and is that process still available today??
(Picture later whenever my battery charges.)

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
So my question is,...what process chemistry does it need for developing, and is that process still available today??
(Picture later whenever my battery charges.)

Nick if it's of any help you may want to check out apug.org . They are a great group of people and they are all dedicated to analog, i.e. FILM photography. There are several sections there, much like the Lounge here, one for paper and chemistry, one for film, etc. Ask in there- if anyone would know it would be this consortium!!

Scuffy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points