Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Whistler series on TCM

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm a fan of the Whistler series (though I've only seen a couple so far) -- they're low-budget thrillers, most starring Richard Dix, that exhibit a certain flair despite their budgetary limitations. They were based on a popular radio program.

Dix plays a different character in each one -- he doesn't portray the title character, who is a sort of omnipresent observer who doesn't generally play an active role in the events portrayed, and the movies are basically stand-alones -- and several of the pictures were directed by William Castle, back when he was just a working director, little known by the general public.

Anyway, TCM is showing six of the eight pictures tomorrow (Monday) morning, and I recommend you crank up the ol' DVR:

6:00 a.m. -- THE WHISTLER (1944)
A grieving widower hires an assassin to kill him only to have his late wife turn up alive. Cast: Richard Dix, J. Carrol Naish, Gloria Stuart. Dir: William Castle. 60 mins

7:15 a.m. -- THE POWER OF THE WHISTLER (1945)
A young woman seeks an amnesiac's true identity in the clues in his pockets. Cast: Richard Dix, Janis Carter, Jeff Donnell. Dir: Lew Landers. 66 mins

8:30 a.m. -- THE VOICE OF THE WHISTLER (1945)
A dying millionaire marries his nurse for companionship, only to experience a miracle cure. Cast: Richard Dix, Lynn Merrick, Rhys Williams. Dir: William Castle. 60 mins

9:45 a.m. -- THE MYSTERIOUS INTRUDER (1946)
A detective discovers the woman he's been hired to track down is the key to an unusual inheritance. Cast: Richard Dix, Barton MacLane, Nina Vale. Dir: William Castle. 62 mins

11:00 a.m. -- THE SECRET OF THE WHISTLER (1946)
An artist plots murder when his rich wife when she catches him in an affair with one of his models. Cast: Richard Dix, Leslie Brooks, Michael Duane. Dir: George Sherman. 64 mins

12:15 PM -- THE RETURN OF THE WHISTLER (1948)
When a woman goes missing on the eve of her wedding, her fiancee hires a detective to track her down. Cast: Michael Duane, Lenore Aubert, Richard Lane. Dir: D. Ross Lederman. 63 mins

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I've never seen the movie series but used to listen to the radio series a lot.
Unfortunately, I haven't had TCM since I moved.

I have seen the "Inner Sanctum" series of movies however. They were also based on a radio series.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo