Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wolfman Remade

Nick Charles

Practically Family
BenicioWolfman.jpg

looks intersting and the wolf is keeping the classic look more or less.

www.thewolfmanmovie.com

NicknNora

A-List Customer
I posted this bit of dialog on another thread about memorable movie lines but thought it fit this thread even more.

Maria Ouspenskaya talking to Lon Chaney, Jr. -

Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

wolf-man-tragic.jpg

Leesensei

One of the Regulars
Brian Sheridan said:
It is not a good sign it is being released in February.

How can you make a movie like this and not release it in time for Halloween! :eusa_doh:

I am looking forward to this but am afraid that they are going to make it to violent and gory. I hope that they can do justice to the original classic.

Edward

Bartender
MMn. I know remakes are mardly a new phenomenon - many of the silents were remade as talkies, I gather, and 'our' Maltese Falcon with Bogie was a remake of an earlier take on the story - but all the sme, I wish there was more imagination out there. some of the remakes of more recent classic horrors have been passable, but they can't hold a candle to the originals. Surely there are new stories - or as new as it is possible to get - to tell?

That sad, I'll definitely go see this one.... I agree, I hope they keep it to tradition. Any news yet whether they're going to set it as a period piece, or totally update it? It'll be interesting to see what they change - much like Peter Jackson's King Kong, in which, although a period piece (unlike the 70s remake with Jessica Lange), they had certain contemporary twists - Ann Darrow being much feistier and more independent for one, and for another her refusla to take part in the 'exploitation' of Kong back in NYC. I do recall thinking the male lead character in The Wolfman to be rather a cad for his pursual of a young lady whom he knew to be engaged to another man - maybe a different social more of the time? I wonder will they keep that in. I also woner whether they will stick with the sme downbeat ening, or if they will find a 'cure' for him - c/f the difference in endings between the original An American Werewolf in London and its quasi-sequel, An American Werewolf in Paris.

ron521

One of the Regulars
I saw the trailer on Yahoo.com, and it is a period piece, looks to be Victorian, as if S. Holmes might pop out at any moment (speaking of ANOTHER remake).
That said, it looked quite interesting, and I look forward to it. I agree, it SHOULD be released in time for Halloween. Kind of hoping the character is named Lawrence Talbot, although I don't know if he is or isn't.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Looking forward to this one.

My life up through about 8th grade was ALL ABOUT the horror movies. :)

EDIT:ron521, A quick look at IMDB confirms it. The character is named Lawrence Talbot. This should be fun.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Also of interest....

.... to our Fearless Leader, MK:

"'Benicio del Toro''s Wolfman make-up took approximately 3 hours to apply and 1 hour to remove."

So the makeup is latex and paint rather than CGI. A Good Thing.

mike

Call Me a Cab
The preview gives me chills!

If this winds up being the definitive remake (as it appears it will be) I can't help imagining a remake of a monster rally film starring Gary Oldman, De Niro & Del Toro....! hahaha

As an aside, I honestly love the way the name "Maria Ouspenskaya" roles off the tongue!

I always marvel over these lines that Maleva the Gypsy woman says:

The way you walk is thorny through no fault of your own.
For as the rain enters the soil and the river enters the sea,
so tears run to their predestined end. Your suffering is over.
Now find peace for eternity, my son.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
I see that the budget was $85 million; I hope that's on screen and not in someone's paycheck.

Off topic, I always thought del Toro would have been a good choice to play John Birch, considered the first casualty of the Cold War. He bears a resemblance to him, but Birch was 27 when he was killed and del Toro is 42.

th_JohnBirch.jpg

Now he's going to play Moe Howard in the Farrelly brothers production of The Three Stooges. No, I'm not kidding, on mushrooms, or drinking absinthe. Paul Giamatti will play Larry. Maybe Gee Dubya will get his shot at playing Curly.

Edward

Bartender
ron521 said:
I saw the trailer on Yahoo.com, and it is a period piece, looks to be Victorian, as if S. Holmes might pop out at any moment (speaking of ANOTHER remake).

Interesting. I wonder why they picked that particular period to do? It's obviously not an effort to ape the original setting, it having been, of course, contemporary to the time in which it was made. Possibly looking to cash in on the present vogue for the high-gothic / steampunk type of genre? This actually makes it of more interest to me.

It seems very Victorian era in style and that the Dracula and even Frankenstein stories are done in this setting makes for higher drama and re-enforces the idea of forbidden / unrequited love that is often associated with the era.

Also the concepts of Psycology, Science and the Rational Man being challenged by obvious supernatural occurences is done well in this era.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I've always wanted to read Curt Siodmak's original draft for the story but could never find a copy of it. I hear it had a completely different feeling to it, perhaps more reminiscent to what Val Lewton would have created in the coming years, but the Post-Laemmle rulers at Universal wouldn't have it.

Here's a quote:
"According to the documentary on the recent Wolf Man DVD collection, the script for The Wolf Man was influenced by writer Curt Siodmak's experiences in Nazi Germany. Siodmak had been living a normal life in Germany only to have it thrown into chaos and himself on the run when the Nazis took control, just as Larry Talbot finds his normal life thrown into chaos and himself on the run once he is turned into a werewolf. Also, the wolfman himself can be seen as a metaphor for the Nazis: an otherwise good man who is transformed into a vicious killing animal who knows who his next victim will be when he sees the symbol of a pentagram (i.e., a star) on them."

smedleyamy

New in Town
Re:The Wolfman Remade

Hi Nick Charles,

Hey dude, this is a good thing that wolf-man is again remade. Above snap look great seems to be the combination of Dracula and Wolf-man.I hope this time , some thing new will happen in this film. All the best to the crew of this movie.

Thanks

Feraud

Bartender
In honor of the remake I have been watching the wolfman films in the Legacy Collection released a few years back.
I've re-watched The Wolfman, Werewolf of London, Wolfman meets Frankenstein. Will finish off the set with She-Wolf of London.

The remake will at the very least direct movie goers to these classics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo