Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

There's something RIGHT in the state of Denmark

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good for her. :eusa_clap

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23077031-953,00.html

0,,5849622,00.jpg

carebear

Like the Princes of Britain, I really respect this young Royal for her service. There's still a place for a sense of Duty in the world.

BT,

Is she half-Tasmanian? Did you used to date the Queen? :D

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Yup she's a good Tazzie girl.

Danes are top people and their beer's damn good too.

...oh and a darn sight cheaper than here ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
SERVICE is unpaid but that hasn't stopped Crown Princess Mary of Denmark enrolling in the Danish Home Guard.

The Crown Princess will learn how to handle and fire a weapon, first aid, marching drills, signal training, fire-fighting and rescue skills while she attends elementary training at the Home Guard training centre.

When she finishes her training, Princess Mary will be attached to the Home Guard "total defence" region in Copenhagen.

She continues a long line of family tradition by joining the Home Guard.

Her mother-in-law, Queen Margrethe, reached the rank of Major in the Home Guard Women's Flying Corps.

Princess Benedikte received a service medal for her work in the naval arm of the Home Guard.

Chief of the Home Guard, Mayor General Jan S. Norgaard, said the volunteers were happy to have a royal colleague.

"Crown Princess Mary's membership is a pat on the shoulder for the many volunteers," he said.

"It is a significant sign of the Home Guard's meaningful role in the community and the Danish people's belief in its ability."

The fact that she is following a tradition is heartening. It's refreshing to see that service to one's nation is still held in high regard.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Ah yes - cant wait to see her directing the traffic at the parkingarea at the next flightshow or countyfair.lol
Mind you there is absolutely nothing wrong with the homeguard or the people who spend their time there.
It's just the royalty - and their so called "serving" I can't stand.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Danish Forces

Help me out here- is she swingin' an M-4 (AR-15) variant? I doubt it, but that forward assist tab is usually a telltale sign....
Maybe it's an HK build...?

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
Ah yes - cant wait to see her directing the traffic at the parkingarea at the next flightshow or countyfair.lol
Mind you there is absolutely nothing wrong with the homeguard or the people who spend their time there.
It's just the royalty - and their so called "serving" I can't stand.

I agree. Think about it. Let's say you are a squad leader and have a royal private in your squad. Are you going to be the guy who gives the royal some dangerous or nasty duty, perhaps something which even gets them killed? I doubt it. Royalty is just a farce now anyway (or at least more of a farce than it was 100 years ago) so the idea of them serving in the military fits in.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The only dangerous/nasty things a private in the Home Guard can experience right now is choking on a piece of Danish pastry.
And with her interest - and budget (thanks, BT) in fashion, that is not likely to happen.

RIOT

Practically Family
dakotanorth said:
Help me out here- is she swingin' an M-4 (AR-15) variant? I doubt it, but that forward assist tab is usually a telltale sign....

M16A2, waffle mag, Elcan C79 scope.

At least it seems that she knows how to hold the rifle and sight the scope correctly. ;)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I don't think she is out of line or anything. But it seems kind of pointless. I would rather a royal use their money and position and celebrity to bestadvantage maybe going around the world getting press and raisng money for humanitarian causes. I don't think the home gaurd needs another recruit.

On the other hand, there might be something to be said for a royal to serve in a country they are asking their boys to fight in. But on the other hand, it isn't like the English royal family is sendingthem off to war. I would rather see a politician asking his citizens to take part in a war to be willing to go himself. I don't think it is necessery they send their children as their children aren'tasking. But it is telling when a politician has children who neverseem to be siging up to go to dangerous places and do dangerous things.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be the guy standing next to a royal prince in a country where the people are mad at your country. what a target you would be.

carebear

dakotanorth said:

M16A4 (probably). Same 20" barrel as the A2 but with a flat-top receiver. The Marines went to them along with the M4.

As for criticizing her service.

Just because there isn't a current extant military threat to the Netherlands does not diminish her willingness to be trained for service.

As for the English princes, Prince Harry has more than lived up to his namesake(s) in courage and military character. He was a qualified and proficient Scimitar squadron leader. Only a direct order from the CG kept him out of Iraq with his men against his wishes, which order it was his duty to obey.

I realize in this cynical age it is easy to denigrate terms like honor and duty, especially when the excuse "there's no war to fight" gives an out, but some people believe in them with sincerity and character.

That sincere belief deserves either respect or shutting the hell up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot