Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about Lost Worlds.. thoughts, experiences?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
After reading your comment. I had to double check the original post question " Thinking about Lost Worlds.. thoughts, experiences?" For a person who does not want to participate. You definitely show YOUR views, never mind addressing the question at hand.

Yes, sorry, of course I participate. This is what this place is about, right. I just don´t want to participate in bashing certain makers or criticizing other people´s opinions.

Again, I am not being judgemental about anyone here.

Damon141

Practically Family
I Like LW belt. I would only pay for the belt made for the Trojan. I think is a top of the line "ranger" type belt that is very well constructed. It is worth the price.
I like it too and after watching the newest Himel Bros YouTube video on their Beck 333, apparently these types of belts are difficult to make and require you to stitch 2 layers of leather inside out and he has to make a tool to reach in through the belt to pull the inside to the outside.

Prices are definitely subjective and every workwear site has Japanese garrison belts for $150-200 that are a simple strip of leather with finished edges.
Similar belts can be bought on Etsy for $50-75 Beltmaking (one strip design) has always been an entry level skill intro into leather making and most cities have classes you take take and learn it in a couple hours.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Was out for a while and completely missed on this thread.

A few points:
- If you want the heaviest horse, than you are likely to get it from LW since they have their own tannery and use the whole skin. Not just the front quarters. Yes, some parts of the jacket can be made of Horse butt as well,
- Horween CXL might seem heaviier because it is stuffed full of waxes as was mentioned earlier, but in terms of functional characteristics is nowhere near LW HH.
- Lastly if you are looking for the heaviest hides, then better look at something else like Bull or Bison. One member had a super thick bull jacket made by Johnson Leather, that was over 3mm thick if memory serves. But I am not sure you are looking for such extremes. My bison jacket also from JL is as heavy and tough as I could wish for.

Finally, I think the reason most people rant about LW is simply because they can not get anything like it from others. LW jackerts are very unique, there is nothing like it elsewhere. And I say this as someone who likes LW - a lot - but also has jacket from quite a few other makers. I will happily rave about other makers as well such as Vanson, Johnson leathers, Lamglitz, etc.

And I will happily driticise others such as Aero (bad patterns among others), Himel (you missed crappy QC and throwing employees under the bus @ton312 lol)

horweak

Familiar Face
Was out for a while and completely missed on this thread.

A few points:
- If you want the heaviest horse, than you are likely to get it from LW since they have their own tannery and use the whole skin. Not just the front quarters. Yes, some parts of the jacket can be made of Horse butt as well,
- Horween CXL might seem heaviier because it is stuffed full of waxes as was mentioned earlier, but in terms of functional characteristics is nowhere near LW HH.
- Lastly if you are looking for the heaviest hides, then better look at something else like Bull or Bison. One member had a super thick bull jacket made by Johnson Leather, that was over 3mm thick if memory serves. But I am not sure you are looking for such extremes. My bison jacket also from JL is as heavy and tough as I could wish for.

Finally, I think the reason most people rant about LW is simply because they can not get anything like it from others. LW jackerts are very unique, there is nothing like it elsewhere. And I say this as someone who likes LW - a lot - but also has jacket from quite a few other makers. I will happily rave about other makers as well such as Vanson, Johnson leathers, Lamglitz, etc.

And I will happily driticise others such as Aero (bad patterns among others), Himel (you missed crappy QC and throwing employees under the bus @ton312 lol)
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of my Aero jacket

How is LW pricing being hammered by a forum full of dudes with closet doors about to burst because of all the superfluous jackets, boots, belts, jeans, etc.?

The Trojan belt is tops. Real nice. I wouldn’t pay $250 for it. I wouldn’t pay $100 for a belt to wear on a jacket when a nice Browne belt can be had for less.

Crown zippers are awesome. Though if I purchase another LW from Stuart, I won’t buy the entire Crown package, just the main zip. I like the mismatched zipper look and also save some loot. And then I will come here to bash LW for stupidly priced zipper assortments.

Langlitz fat guy jackets lol— classic. That had me rolling.

horweak

Familiar Face
How is LW pricing being hammered by a forum full of dudes with closet doors about to burst because of all the superfluous jackets, boots, belts, jeans, etc.?

The Trojan belt is tops. Real nice. I wouldn’t pay $250 for it. I wouldn’t pay $100 for a belt to wear on a jacket when a nice Browne belt can be had for less.

Crown zippers are awesome. Though if I purchase another LW from Stuart, I won’t buy the entire Crown package, just the main zip. I like the mismatched zipper look and also save some loot. And then I will come here to bash LW for stupidly priced zipper assortments.

Langlitz fat guy jackets lol— classic. That had me rolling.
Nothing like a Browne

I always got more of a fetish vibe than a fat guy vibe from langlitz but I'm open to learning lol

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I always got more of a fetish vibe than a fat guy vibe from langlitz but I'm open to learning lol
You both have a point.

1564207B-42D1-4F8C-AF47-EE1703799677.jpeg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like it too and after watching the newest Himel Bros YouTube video on their Beck 333, apparently these types of belts are difficult to make and require you to stitch 2 layers of leather inside out and he has to make a tool to reach in through the belt to pull the inside to the outside.

Prices are definitely subjective and every workwear site has Japanese garrison belts for $150-200 that are a simple strip of leather with finished edges.
Similar belts can be bought on Etsy for $50-75 Beltmaking (one strip design) has always been an entry level skill intro into leather making and most cities have classes you take take and learn it in a couple hours.
Actually he said he tried many times but gave up and used a technique to make it "looks" like it was turned.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
In what ways is the LW J23 not very accurate?

Several things. Minor to most people. But please do your research. See what matters to you. If you cannot tell the difference between them or the difference between do not matter to you. That is your perspective and choice.
Just to get you started, Look at the original mouton collars and belts from originals and LW. I have posted some images so others can other have a solid example of what some moutons are like.

Overall RMC is a more accurate repro than LW. I, however, will take the LW over RMC.
Good luck with your research!

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
Several things. Minor to most people. But please do your research. See what matters to you. If you cannot tell the difference between them or the difference between do not matter to you. That is your perspective and choice.
Just to get you started, Look at the original mouton collars and belts from originals and LW. I have posted some images so others can other have a solid example of what some moutons are like.

Overall RMC is a more accurate repro than LW. I, however, will take the LW over RMC.
Good luck with your research!
Thanks! I was just curious. I would never get a J23. Cross zips just aren’t my style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points