Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about Lost Worlds.. thoughts, experiences?

Observe

One Too Many
In his defence the prices of most things has gone insane since Covid, i think the current prices of a lot of things are far above what they should be if they just followed inflation. Prices of hides has gone up, prices of tanning chemicals has gone up, prices of shipping anything anywhere has gone up.
I am sure that if you used the time machine to compare the prices of LW one year pre covid and now you would see that a large chunk has hapened since Covid started.

Have you tried buying any building materials recently? Some things are almost twice the price they where pre covid. (OSB panels went from €8 up to €22 a few months ago, they are back down to €15 or so but it is still twice what it was in 2019).

Musical instruments have gone crazy too, some brands of bass guitars (Sadowsky, Dingwall) have raised the prices of their imported models by 50% since 2019.
Absolutely, the across the board increases among other factors have had a knock on effect for things like this.

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
Confirmed website has not changed in 20 years. Wish we could say the same about prices!

View attachment 481232

I know that there is more than just inflation contributing to the price increases, but I thought this was an interesting data point nonetheless.
It’s also not just about inflation but what the market will bear. When he sees the likes of Himel Bros getting $2650 I’m sure that must factor into it.

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In his defence the prices of most things has gone insane since Covid, i think the current prices of a lot of things are far above what they should be if they just followed inflation. Prices of hides has gone up, prices of tanning chemicals has gone up, prices of shipping anything anywhere has gone up.
I am sure that if you used the time machine to compare the prices of LW one year pre covid and now you would see that a large chunk has hapened since Covid started.

Have you tried buying any building materials recently? Some things are almost twice the price they where pre covid. (OSB panels went from €8 up to €22 a few months ago, they are back down to €15 or so but it is still twice what it was in 2019).

Musical instruments have gone crazy too, some brands of bass guitars (Sadowsky, Dingwall) have raised the prices of their imported models by 50% since 2019.
And then on top of all that, there's supply and demand. If someone can sell his products like hot cakes, it is logical that prices will rise. Even more so if the products are not essential but rather luxury goods. Probably all of us would do the same.
The upward trend can also be seen at Field Leathers.

El Marro

The only concern when that happens is that you can price out your customer base. That has an effect on orders.

I’m sure that has happened with a few makers. Eastman Leather comes to mind, specially after Brexit.
Thats a good example right there. I was fortunate enough to buy two Eastman jackets back in 2017. There have been several big price hikes since then and the horsehide G-1 that cost me $975 now goes for $1500.

Aloysius

Eastman’s case is a bit different. They raised their prices to be perceived as more of a luxury item in the East Asia market. Their marketing there features the jackets laid on LV bags and so on.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Eastman’s case is a bit different. They raised their prices to be perceived as more of a luxury item in the East Asia market. Their marketing there features the jackets laid on LV bags and so on.
What's interesting is that it seems like prices of their Eastman brandline have gone op faster than prices of their ELMC brandline.

Confirmed website has not changed in 20 years. Wish we could say the same about prices!

View attachment 481232

I know that there is more than just inflation contributing to the price increases, but I thought this was an interesting data point nonetheless.

I know there are some things I hate more than money but seeing this kind of bs makes it hard for me to recall what these things might be.

Aloysius

@JMax or anyone else who might know, does Stu sell used/second/stock jackets directly as well, or only through eBay?

Aloysius

@Carlos840 since you own a LW Peter's, would you be able to advise on chest space? There is a returned 42 Long that Stu is selling right now. It has 23" pit-to-pit which would give 6 inches of chest space to me (a pretty standard 40 Long size). The hem is 21.5" but presumably I could make that smaller with the side laces.

I think this might not be too bad because the design seems to me something that demands a dramatic chest, but you'd have a better idea of whether that would feel too big in the wearing.

I wonder if he would be willing to add waist snaps to a stock jacket as he did on yours.

@JMax or anyone else who might know, does Stu sell used/second/stock jackets directly as well, or only through eBay?

I’m not sure but funny you should ask. I was thinking about this yesterday. If I ever decide to BIN an eBay sale, I would reach out to Stuart to see if we can save each other a few bucks at the expense of the eBay peddlers.

Aloysius

I’m not sure but funny you should ask. I was thinking about this yesterday. If I ever decide to BIN an eBay sale, I would reach out to Stuart to see if we can save each other a few bucks at the expense of the eBay peddlers.

It would be one thing if we found out about his stuff through eBay, but in this case we already knew it and would buy off a sale page as we do Aero.

Damon141

Practically Family
It’s also not just about inflation but what the market will bear. When he sees the likes of Himel Bros getting $2600 I’m sure that must factor into it.

Value aside, I can say I appreciate that Lost Worlds offers a range of different prices depending on what model you choose.
It’s clear different styles take more or less time to make along with material usage.

So in theory a fan of Lost Worlds might still be able to own one of the more simple jackets even if they can’t afford all of them.

There is no entry level if you price all jackets at $2,650 like the other one mentioned.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
@Carlos840 since you own a LW Peter's, would you be able to advise on chest space? There is a returned 42 Long that Stu is selling right now. It has 23" pit-to-pit which would give 6 inches of chest space to me (a pretty standard 40 Long size). The hem is 21.5" but presumably I could make that smaller with the side laces.

I think this might not be too bad because the design seems to me something that demands a dramatic chest, but you'd have a better idea of whether that would feel too big in the wearing.

I wonder if he would be willing to add waist snaps to a stock jacket as he did on yours.

Hard to say, i personally don't think i could get away with sizing up in teh Peter's like i can with other models like the J-23. I have a 42" chet and the 23" of mine is perfect with some room for a decent layer.
That jacket is a clone of mine and i am 6'2", 190lb, 42" chest 33" waist.
If you are shorter than me it will most likely be too long, i find it already on the edge on me.

Schambach

Practically Family
Just scored a nicely broken in suburban on ebay. Smells like it's been in a closet for a while though. Will give it a cleaning with obenaufs cleanit or maybe lexol, and then maybe conditioner of some sort. Any suggestions on a conditioner? My first time with LW HH, and it is indeed impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points