Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This may have already been covered...

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
But I can be a lazy retch sometimes.

Movies that never should have been:

In current Hollywood trend, remakes and sequels seem to be the "it" choice. List movies you think should never grace the big screen. They can be movies that are already made or one's that are in progress. You can give reasons if you want but it's not a requirement. I'll start.

Speed Racer

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
There are so many films that should not have been made, I hardly know where to start.

Catwoman, for a recent example. Not a sequel, but bad, bad....

The sequel to Gone With the Wind, which I believe was a TV movie.

Godfather III, while not the most godawful film in the world, was so inferior to the first two Godfather movies, that it seems it would have been better not to be made.

No wonder Jody Foster refused to be involved in a sequel to Silence of the Lambs. Bad storyline.

These are some, for starters.

karol

Starius

Practically Family
The only movie that I can honestly say without a doubt in my mind that it should never have been made is Highlander II.

Here are some elements taken from the wikipedia article on the film:

Criticism
"Upon release, this film was met with harsh criticism by both critics and audiences. One point of controversy was the concept of Immortals being aliens from Planet Zeist. Also, the revival of Ramirez, who had died in the original film, is often viewed as incongruous with the original movie.

Critics and audiences alike pointed out that the characters suffered from a lack of motivation; an example often offered is that no reason was provided for Katana’s sudden interest in Connor after apparently losing contact with him for 506 years, and his insistence on killing his old enemy while he could wait for him to die without outside interference. Also, the two “alien” Immortal protagonists on Zeist have their Scottish and Spanish names that they will have on Earth. [1] They were acquinted with each other on Zeist, but the transport process must have erased their memories. Thus Connor never learns about his true past until his senses the voice of Ramirez, decades after winning the Prize, and he is forced to recall the events of the distant past. This caused confusion for many viewers, even those who had seen the first film.

According to the documentary Highlander II: Seduced by Argentina, the film’s apparent failure is partially result of the bonding company’s interference with the work of director Russell Mulcahy, as well as economic problems within Argentina itself. Mulcahy reportedly hated the final product so much he walked out of the film’s world premiere after viewing its first 15 minutes. For similar reasons, Christopher Lambert threatened to walk out of the project when it was nearing fruition, but he didn’t, due to contract obligation."

Alternate versions
In 1995, Mulcahy made a director’s cut version known as Highlander II: The Renegade Version. The film was reconstructed largely from scratch, with certain scenes removed and others added back in, and the entire sequence of events changed. All references to the Immortals being aliens from another planet were eliminated; instead, this cut reveals that the Immortals are from an unspecified, distant past on Earth, banished by priests into random locations in the future to keep the Prize from being won in their lifetime (the option to return to the past is an option offered in addition to the mystical Prize and mortality of the first film). This version is generally considered a major improvement on the theatrical release, and obtained a far more favourable reception. Nevertheless, the events of both versions were generally ignored by the subsequent films and series.

Other new sequences include a battle between MacLeod and Katana atop a moving humvee after they escape the security facility, and MacLeod and Louise climbing through a mountain tunnel to emerge above the Shield to confirm that the radiation levels are back to normal. The new version also removes a major continuity gaffe from the theatrical version, which had merged two separate swordfight between MacLeod and Katana into one longer climactic battle. The first sequence has MacLeod and Katana fighting in a large abandoned building about halfway through the movie (with MacLeod using a short sword), and the climactic swordfight takes place much later (with MacLeod using his original katana). Since the two sequences are merged, Connor’s sword changes for no apparent reason. The director’s cut version restores them to two separate battles, although it never shows how or when Connor reacquired his katana. The gaffe wherein Katana's sword changes from his giant "spring loaded" broadsword, to the smaller broadsword used by the two punks still exists in the final battle of both versions.

Still not completely satisfied, producers William Panzer and Peter Davis decided to revisit Highlander II once again in 2004. Dubbed the Special Edition, this cut was nearly identical to the Renegade Version, but with a few alterations. The most obvious change is the introduction of new CGI special effects throughout the film, including a now-blue shield as originally intended. Other significant changes include a small piece of voiceover work by Lambert and the inexplicable removal of a short scene near the end of the film in which Louise Marcus holds off a group of TSC guards with a gun. Shots of a crashed space ship where the Zeistian rebels meet in secret 500 years ago is altered so that it appears "A Very Long Time Ago" some rebels meet at an old stone fortress. However, modern looking firearms are still seen briefly in some of the desert battle sequences, as well as the use of explosives and gas masks.

Some time after the 2004 version was released, a handful of fans took scenes from all three officially released versions, as well as the deleted scenes, and edited together a well crafted fourth version of the film that ran nearly 2 full hours long and contained all the new Director's Cut footage but retained the Zeist aspect. It as called the "Extended Zeist Version" and was completed quite professionally. In addition to Director's Cut footage and Deleted Scenes, they also took the well known Fairytale Ending and incorporated it into the end of the film.

Let it die... no matter how you reshape a piece of crap... it's still a piece of crap.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kind of off-topic, or on another vein? but I preferred French Connection II to The French Connection. Other than that I can't recall any sequels or remakes I've seen. Oh, wait, I liked the first two A Star is Born movies.
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a Three's Company movie.

Doh!

One Too Many
Underdog immediately comes to mind. I weep thinking what Pixar could've done with the material.

I mean, how do you do a live action piece AND not have the main character speak in rhyme?

Or sound like Wally Cox??

CharlieH.

One Too Many
GAAAAH!!

Doh! said:
Underdog immediately comes to mind. I weep thinking what Pixar could've done with the material.

I mean, how do you do a live action piece AND not have the main character speak in rhyme?

Or sound like Wally Cox??

Wait till ya see what they did to Alvin And The Chipmunks!

(And why is it that all current "comedy" movie posters have the title in big fat red letters??)

Starius

Practically Family
CharlieH. said:

(And why is it that all current "comedy" movie posters have the title in big fat red letters??)

I just saw the trailer for this when I went to see The Simpsons Movie. I heard groans from people in the theatre when it came on. But honestly, I thought the clip was cute and humorous. Looks better than the Garfield movie at any rate... I'm a fan of My Name is Earl and all, but I think I'm gonna get sick of Jason Lee what with this and Underdog coming out...

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
There are simply too many to mention, but I hope someone in Hollywood comes to their senses and tells the Farrelly Brothers that their Three Stooges movie is a terrible idea. To clarify, this isn't about a biopic about the boys (that's already been done for TV), but an attempt to bring the characters back (never a good idea when the actual Stooges are all dead).

Doh!

One Too Many
Wasn't Mel Gibson trying to do a Stooges movie a long time ago, with himself playing the Moe character? We now know that he can certainly play "mean" but what about "funny?"

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Earp said:
Grease II and Battlefield Earth. They are truly to painful for me to watch. It hurts to even think about them.
Whaaat!! Grease 2!! That film is a cult classic.
Michelle Pfeiffer was in Grease 2. It's never painful to watch Michelle Pfeiffer up on the screen. It was painful listening to her sing. Don't think anyone could sing in that movie.
The only reason I was coaxed into seeing 'Hairspary' was that Pfeiffer was in it. It took her 25 years to be in another movie musical. And both her beauty and singing have improved with age!

Elaina

One Too Many
All my choices would have been covered, except Highlander: Endgame. The moment they killed off Conner, I walked out.

Alvin and the chipmunks...they made them Yoyo whatzzup characters and I won't be going. I loved them as a kid, and this...is wrong.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
K.D. Lightner said:
Catwoman, for a recent example. Not a sequel, but bad, bad....

karol

Okay, shoot me down, but I liked this movie. I think this one and Daredevil were just trashed but the directors versions of these movies are actually pretay gewd. Not like award worthy or anything, but come on.

Also, if they had plugged it as "A Catwoman" instead of "The Catwoman" (which will forever be Selina Kyle in whatever incarnation you make her), then I think the movie would have had better legs to stand on. Alright, Im done back to being on topic :eek:

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
CharlieH. said:

alvin_and_the_chipmunks.jpg

:confused:

I think I just threw up a little.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR