Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time for a new Panama

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
If you've been following my thread describing my circumnavigation of the globe, you will know I am in Sydney now.

Unfortunately, when I unpacked my "traveling" panama, I found out the miles had not been too kind to it. Since I am now enjoying the Southern Hemisphere summer, I looked forward to wearing this hat, which I bought in a Buenos Aires hat shop in 1999. However, it has several cracks and tears, having been rolled up since September at the bottom of my luggage!

P1010084.jpg

Nevertheless, I wear it to Manley beach, where the sun, wind, surf, and sand wipe me out after a long flight with too much food and wine and too little sleep.

Next stop: Strand Hatters, 412 George Street, Sydney, for a replacement. I'll be filing a full report on my purchase, as well as the store, in the main thread.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
I visited Strand Hats in Sydney, located in a very old (1890s) shopping arcade. They have everything from pith helmets to top hats to a fez, and of course all sorts of Akubras.

I picked out a nice straw hat, very lightweight, perfect for the summer weather here. Technically not a Panama; it is made in Italy and called a Bali Buntal, though I am not certain it is made of that particular straw from the Philippines.

sydneybridge.jpg

Here I am on top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge with my new lid. That's the Sydney Opera House in the background to my left.

Yes, I am wearing a wind cord!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Keep the roving reporter reports coming!

Ditto. I love these threads where one of us takes time out to travel (lots of pics too please!!).

Simon82

One of the Regulars
G'day, Mate!

Shanghailander,

I'm envious for two reasons: one, your great lid on top, and two, your present location down under!

Man, I want to visit Australia so badly. Never been, but it seems like an awesome place.

Then again, the thought of funnel-web spiders in my hotel room gives me the willies...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy