Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Tunneling" and different hides...

I've seen many threads that show pix of "tunneling" on the sleeves - which I love. Now, I'm in the process of getting a mid-priced A2 and/or Indy jacket, and I'm wondering which hides tunnel most, or "best"?
Lambskin seems not prone to doing this - at least on the jackets I have. How do Cow, Bison, and others fair? Do certain types of Lamb tunnel?

Why would you want the leather sleeves to come way down over the wrist knits and cover them?

Hmmm, did I misunderstand this terminology? I thought it was the wrinkling of the sleeves as the jacket breaks in? The "banding" or wrinkling up the sleeves that comes from wearing?
Maybe I'm using the wrong description...

Hmmm, did I misunderstand this terminology? I thought it was the wrinkling of the sleeves as the jacket breaks in? The "banding" or wrinkling up the sleeves that comes from wearing?
Maybe I'm using the wrong description...

Tunneling is when the leather part of the sleeves goes over the wrist knits..and those knits 'tunnel' up under the leather sleeve. Otherwise the leather part of the sleeve hides..or covers up most of the knit.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You won't get it from an Indy or a good half belt. Tunneling only happens with a sleeve which is too long and has elastic knits.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Do you mean like this?

web.jpg

It may be more to do with the tanning and dyeing process. For example, it's been noted that Aero's carry more of their dye carry more of their dye on the 'surface' than, say, a Lost Worlds jacket.

In all cases though i'd suggest just wear the hell out of it and the fading, banding, call it what you will, will come.

Last edited:

garzo

One of the Regulars
Wow, fantastic Highwayman you have there. Sounds like Butte means the sleeve wrinkling. I think lambskin or Aero horsehide tend to do this more. Maybe if the leather gets wet a lot it would do it more. I had a Wested horsehide Indy jacket once but it didn't tend to wrinkle or distress much. I now have a fantastic vintage horsehide from Aero that is beginning to do this a bit more and will certainly look great in a few years.

OK, I guess I did get this wrong...
I like how on some hides, like HH, the sleeves get this look - the left (looking at pic) sleeve shows it really well. On my Lamb, it never looks like that, even after years...

LGNDSLfront_DETAIL.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As I understand it, tunneling refers to the wrist knits disappearing into the sleeves when the arms are down. I don't really think the kind of leather enters into it - it's just about the sleeves being too long.

I've certainly experienced it on both goatskin and horsehide jackets (my sleeves are always too long if there's to be enough room for my gut!)

bentusian

One of the Regulars
I think "accordioning" appears over time in most of the stiff hides/leathers like horse or steer. To accelerate the process, one of the fellow loungers advised a rather drastic way:

..Try soaking the jacket in water, put a long pole (like a pole from your shower curtain) through the armholes and bunch up the sleeves so that they are squeezed. Hang it indoors and let it dry naturally. Should take about three or four days. This is the method used by Indy jacket collectors over at Club Obi Wan and it works :)

(by ryans)

..which I wouldn't try on my A-2s - I'd rather wear it every day and get the effect in a more natural way.

I think "accordioning" appears over time in most of the stiff hides/leathers like horse or steer. To accelerate the process, one of the fellow loungers advised a rather drastic way:

..Try soaking the jacket in water, put a long pole (like a pole from your shower curtain) through the armholes and bunch up the sleeves so that they are squeezed. Hang it indoors and let it dry naturally. Should take about three or four days. This is the method used by Indy jacket collectors over at Club Obi Wan and it works :)

(by ryans)

..which I wouldn't try on my A-2s - I'd rather wear it every day and get the effect in a more natural way.

Thanks - I saw those posts and the "process"
Not my thing - if it shows wear, or character, or patina, it's gonna be mine!
I get the sense, although the Indy Lamb DOES show this, that it's mostly steer, horse and bison that show this accordion thing. I do like that!

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Thanks. I guess that's it.
Now, can anyone shed light? :)

In my recent quest to obtain the "perfect A2", I have found some leather does not lend itself well to accordioning, or what I call creasing at the elbows. The rather new Eastman Leather Co horsehide A2s I have seem more resistent to this, than the Goodwear Horsehide A2s I have acquired. Thicker cow and horsehides are easier, than goat or lamb. Wetting the leather, and wearing it until it drys will enhance the effect.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
In my recent quest to obtain the "perfect A2", I have found some leather does not lend itself well to accordioning, or what I call creasing at the elbows. The rather new Eastman Leather Co horsehide A2s I have seem more resistent to this, than the Goodwear Horsehide A2s I have acquired. Thicker cow and horsehides are easier, than goat or lamb. Wetting the leather, and wearing it until it drys will enhance the effect.

I absolutely agree. I have been wearing my Eastman .50Cal A2 for a year by now, (ok, not everyday), it has started to soften up, but, the sleeves are still straight and smooth as hell. Jauguar66 is right, the thicker the hide, the easier for the arms to crease. My thick Vanson steerhide does seem to do so very well. I guess the combination is, thicker but softer hides tend to be easier. And of course, you may also want to bend your arms more when breaking in your jacket.

Marv

A-List Customer
I absolutely agree. I have been wearing my Eastman .50Cal A2 for a year by now, (ok, not everyday), it has started to soften up, but, the sleeves are still straight and smooth as hell. Jauguar66 is right, the thicker the hide, the easier for the arms to crease. My thick Vanson steerhide does seem to do so very well. I guess the combination is, thicker but softer hides tend to be easier. And of course, you may also want to bend your arms more when breaking in your jacket.

I have both the ELC Pearl Harbour A2 in steerhide (same hide used on the .50Cal A2) and the new ELC Rough Wear 27752 A2 in horsehide and I found no problems in getting the sleeves to crease to the desired effect.

All I have done to both jackets is give them a couple of hot water misting sessions and worn until dry - this can be done by using any type of spray bottle e.g. like the ones used for watering house plants, simple and easy and gives great results.

ELC Rough Wear 27752 A2

b666d398.jpg

9773365c.jpg

2dae9e75.jpg

ELC Pearl Harbor A2

7d6e6b91.jpg

f17704ec.jpg

f149ee61.jpg

Hope that helps some what.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members