Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncool, dorky things you won't be caught dead in

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
White Tennis socks or, even worse, white skate socks.

and of course several uniforms as well…

114cdacb77c2d8f6dcdc46b0020a67dd.jpg

64f090f3806382de9aca1597291c1b19.jpg

519937_artikelbild-flex_1vclrY_sOAjyG.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
You are more "generous" than me. I thought "Gestapo" for the three cops in the first picture.

Weird how that stereotype comes up so often for so many uniforms, when the Gestapo never actually had a uniform! (Though in some occupied areas, some wore an SS uniform, I believe).

Turnip

I’m just an old sack, that’s way too high for me…;)

Last edited:

Turnip

Weird how that stereotype comes up so often for so many uniforms, when the Gestapo never actually had a uniform! (Though in some occupied areas, some wore an SS uniform, I believe).

Wearing such an uniform took to be a member of that troop. Something like a secret, political police existed already during the Weimar republic and before. Transferring most of that staff to Gestapo later meant that not too few of Gestapo staff haven’t necessarily had a SS rank as well but „just“ a normal police rank.
Edith: Especially as the SS with subdivisions has been a NSDAP (party-)organization from it’s very first until it’s very last day while the Gestapo has been an official government body over the whole time of it’s existence.
Exception has been the Einsatzgruppen staff who entirely wore SD (SS-subdivision) uniforms but that’s an other story.

Last edited:

New2vintage24

New in Town
I really try to be open minded and not judge others for what they choose to wear (some people most definitely think I dress like a dork.) but my gosh sneakers with a suit is a terrible fad with young men such as myself. I understand dress shoes aren’t the most comfortable at times but adding street wear to formal wear is incredibly tacky.

New2vintage24

New in Town
I've seen any number of women in "yoga pants" who don't, apparently, have any friends with enough compassion to tell them not to wear them in public. Just because they make something in your size doesn't mean that it's a good idea to wear it.
I Have to play a bit of devils advocate,
As someone who wear’s the male equivalent of sweatpants from time to time i can’t deny they are incredibly comfortable. Chance are there friends wear them as much as they do.

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
•A Tracksuit
•Crocks (spelling?)
•Pajamas in public (going out the front door to the mail box doesn't count)
•Puffer coat

Edward

Bartender
I really try to be open minded and not judge others for what they choose to wear (some people most definitely think I dress like a dork.) but my gosh sneakers with a suit is a terrible fad with young men such as myself. I understand dress shoes aren’t the most comfortable at times but adding street wear to formal wear is incredibly tacky.

It's interesting how that look comes round time and again. I remember it being popular in the eighties, at a time when a lot of places still wouldn't allow jeans, but were allowing people in in trainers. Then in the early-mid 2000s, it was a key part of Doctor Who's look, which somewhat popularised it again, albeit limited mostly to costume affairs. For the most part it seems to have died out over here owing to a mix of traditionally-suited job roles having their dress codes relaxed and the continuation of WFH for at least part of the week in many jobs post-pandemic. I'm at the point this last decade where in most day to day situations I really don't care what other people are wearing. One of the joys of our institution's lack of any formal dress code is that, while I may stick out as one of the very few who wears a tie regularly, noone has ever suggested I 'tone down the vintage thing', nor introduced any sort of limitations on what I might want to wear. I'm not by any means anti-denim (I'm wearing a pair of Wranglers as I type), but I would not take it well if it became a requirement that I wore them to the office every day.

Where I do very much dislike this practice - and other forms of casualisation in the workplace - is when it's done for effect. You know, the sort of people who make a show of it - "Look at me! I don't wear ties! I'm not a square! I only own jeans!" - as if that's some sort of achievement. In terms of jeans and sneakers/trainers, I still occasionally see city boys wearing them with their suit on the tube during rushhour. Which is a total pose. Sure, they'll claim it's comfort, but tbh I only ever see it done by..... you know, they type who whine about how "women can wear what they like, women don't have to wear a tie, it's so unfair". "If they can wear trainers to and from work to be comfortable, why can't I?" The practice of course originated with the ladies (at a time when many City firms and other corporate workplaces demanded women wear heels at work), before being taken up by some men. Difference is, a man who isn't too much of a "rebel" to actually buy decent footwear for work doesn't need anything else for comfort. It's pure "stick it to the man" stuff on their own time. Cracks me up that some people these days still think it's rebellious to wear jeans everywhere. I mean, has it been at just about any time since 1962? If being different is what you want these days, wear a suit, tie, and decent leather shoes.

Nonetheless, as a general rule the bonus of that sort being able to wear what they like is I can too....

Edward

Bartender
•A Tracksuit
•Crocks (spelling?)
•Pajamas in public (going out the front door to the mail box doesn't count)
•Puffer coat

I wish the Crocs people would do insoles, though. Their footwear is vile, but those knobbly insides would make for great insoles in a decent pair of brogues.

New2vintage24

New in Town
It's interesting how that look comes round time and again. I remember it being popular in the eighties, at a time when a lot of places still wouldn't allow jeans, but were allowing people in in trainers. Then in the early-mid 2000s, it was a key part of Doctor Who's look, which somewhat popularised it again, albeit limited mostly to costume affairs. For the most part it seems to have died out over here owing to a mix of traditionally-suited job roles having their dress codes relaxed and the continuation of WFH for at least part of the week in many jobs post-pandemic. I'm at the point this last decade where in most day to day situations I really don't care what other people are wearing. One of the joys of our institution's lack of any formal dress code is that, while I may stick out as one of the very few who wears a tie regularly, noone has ever suggested I 'tone down the vintage thing', nor introduced any sort of limitations on what I might want to wear. I'm not by any means anti-denim (I'm wearing a pair of Wranglers as I type), but I would not take it well if it became a requirement that I wore them to the office every day.

Where I do very much dislike this practice - and other forms of casualisation in the workplace - is when it's done for effect. You know, the sort of people who make a show of it - "Look at me! I don't wear ties! I'm not a square! I only own jeans!" - as if that's some sort of achievement. In terms of jeans and sneakers/trainers, I still occasionally see city boys wearing them with their suit on the tube during rushhour. Which is a total pose. Sure, they'll claim it's comfort, but tbh I only ever see it done by..... you know, they type who whine about how "women can wear what they like, women don't have to wear a tie, it's so unfair". "If they can wear trainers to and from work to be comfortable, why can't I?" The practice of course originated with the ladies (at a time when many City firms and other corporate workplaces demanded women wear heels at work), before being taken up by some men. Difference is, a man who isn't too much of a "rebel" to actually buy decent footwear for work doesn't need anything else for comfort. It's pure "stick it to the man" stuff on their own time. Cracks me up that some people these days still think it's rebellious to wear jeans everywhere. I mean, has it been at just about any time since 1962? If being different is what you want these days, wear a suit, tie, and decent leather shoes.

Nonetheless, as a general rule the bonus of that sort being able to wear what they like is I can too....
Completely agree on that last part, as much as I admire fashion from the past back when folks dressed well no matter the occasion…I’m glad I can atleast dress sloppy if need be(although it’s not my preferred way of going out.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21