Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncool, dorky things you won't be caught dead in

New2vintage24

New in Town
I've accumulate ties off life: Eton, thence Trinity not King's at Cambridge. Commission, Intelligence Corps,
Paras regimental ties; with twin cuff pin. And those gifted. Since I disdain any casual professional approach
I flaunt formal attire along old school tie and regiment tradition.
I respect that completely, it made me sad when I read somewhere that wearing a suit to a job interview could set off a red flag to employers in some industries. You would think they would respect the fact the potential hire went the extra mile to look presentable.

I've accumulate ties off life: Eton, thence Trinity not King's at Cambridge. Commission, Intelligence Corps,
Paras regimental ties; with twin cuff pin. And those gifted. Since I disdain any casual professional approach
I flaunt formal attire along old school tie and regiment tradition.
I have kept three ties, a regimental stripe, a political motif and a fun baseball one. Then I have two of my favourite bow ties that I refuse to part with.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I respect that completely, it made me sad when I read somewhere that wearing a suit to a job interview could set off a red flag to employers in some industries. You would think they would respect the fact the potential hire went the extra mile to look presentable.
Presentable? Have you seen the Nat-West Bank new uniform? The manager wears an open neck polo shirt. To me a smart suit not only represents appearance, it gives an air of gravitas too. But my guess is from the title of this thread, a conservative suit is now on the dorky list.

New2vintage24

New in Town
Presentable? Have you seen the Nat-West Bank new uniform? The manager wears an open neck polo shirt. To me a smart suit not only represents appearance, it gives an air of gravitas too. But my guess is from the title of this thread, a conservative suit is now on the dorky list.
It’s a good thing I accepted the fact I’m a dork years before I started wearing suits.

Who?

Practically Family
To dress properly, and to conduct oneself in an approved manner is viewed as “dorky” by today‘s lack of standards, where many dress in a slovenly fashion and behave boorishly in order to “fit in”.

In fact, I don’t think they know any better.

I read a click bait article this morning written by an HR guy. He said never worry about overdressing for an interview. He has never eliminated someone for over dressing as it shows care. He does almost automatically eliminate those that under dress for an interview.

New2vintage24

New in Town
I read a click bait article this morning written by an HR guy. He said never worry about overdressing for an interview. He has never eliminated someone for over dressing as it shows care. He does almost automatically eliminate those that under dress for an interview.
Opinions vary i guess, I remember seeing a guy in sandals waiting to be interviewed for the same job I was being interviewed for, I remember doing a double take and thinking “that’s…bold.” we ended up both getting hired. Mind you the work was low wage.

Opinions vary i guess, I remember seeing a guy in sandals waiting to be interviewed for the same job I was being interviewed for, I remember doing a double take and thinking “that’s…bold.” we ended up both getting hired. Mind you the work was low wage.
I could see in the high tech field if you are that smart you can probably show up in anything and get hired. I was always in sales so presentation was critical.

EngProf

Practically Family
I could see in the high tech field if you are that smart you can probably show up in anything and get hired. I was always in sales so presentation was critical.
A good friend of mine (a computer-science major) showed up for his Ph.D. dissertation-defense wearing a T-shirt, shorts, and tennis-shoes. He had already been hired by Microsoft, so he was "in uniform" for that job.
(He was the best IT/software person I ever knew...)

A good friend of mine (a computer-science major) showed up for his Ph.D. dissertation-defense wearing a T-shirt, shorts, and tennis-shoes. He had already been hired by Microsoft, so he was "in uniform" for that job.
(He was the best IT/software person I ever knew...)
My last career I worked for an engineering company specializing in indoor air quality. I had an inspection in an office tower occupied by a high tech/software development company. They occupied an entire floor that was locked off via elevator access. I was stuck in the lobby with no contact info and no way of reaching their 15th floor. I stood in the lobby watching young men enter the elevator wearing scruffy tshirts, sandals, shorts etc. I merely followed a group of them into the elevator and onto their floor and once on their floor entered the office, one of them even held the door for me.

Once inside I asked to speak to the manager for permission to inspect. If it had been a standard lawyers/accountancy etc company I would have had no clue but the 'uniform' of the workers gave it all away......just required a little deductive reasoning.

Edward

Bartender
A pair of Berkemann‘s of course…

00107-100-Noppen-Sandale-Berkemann-01.jpg

Well, the insole looks nice....

Had to look that up, doesn’t seem like practical footwear but not my culture therefore can’t judge.

Eeps, those look painful. Never seen anything like them before!

Edward

Bartender

The poloshirt became the new face of the corporate world sometime around the dot com boom... I've seen a lot worse as uniforms go. I would always prefer to see bank personnel attired in a more sober manner. I find it inspires more confidence - though frankly, I would be happy to see them in person at all. Last time I renegotiated my mortgage, it was explained to me that my bank no longer offers the option of doing that face to face in a branch, and I was forced to do it over the phone.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
The poloshirt became the new face of the corporate world sometime around the dot com boom... I've seen a lot worse as uniforms go. I would always prefer to see bank personnel attired in a more sober manner. I find it inspires more confidence - though frankly, I would be happy to see them in person at all. Last time I renegotiated my mortgage, it was explained to me that my bank no longer offers the option of doing that face to face in a branch, and I was forced to do it over the phone.
Would absolutely never do a mortgage over the phone.

Sounds like a new bank is in order.

In other threads in this and other FL forums are discussions of people letting their clothes wear them, rather than the other way around.

Several years ago a young man who has long since departed our company here professed a desire to wear a coat and tie to his school sessions. He posted photos of himself so attired.

He was studying to become an auto repair technician. He offered that his instructor told him his chosen attire didn’t fit that occupation, that it had no place in a car repair shop, but our old friend differed with that.

His is an extreme example, but we can cite others who project an air of caring TOO MUCH about how they are dressed. The phrase “empty suit” comes to mind.

I got some nice duds myself. I like wearing ’em. But I wouldn’t want to be identified by ’em.

Last edited:

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In other threads in this and other FL forums are discussions of people letting their clothes wear them, rather than the other way around.

I’m confident that most folks posting in this Fred see it the same as quoted or similar.

In my opinion anybody may run around the way he/she/div. likes.

Top- and/or bottomless, with pierced nipples and/or tattooed primary sex organs, wearing a C-String and a feather boa or whatever he/she/div. might like to wear or sport or not at any occasion or occupation at any time, no problem at all.

That just doesn’t mean I would like me to be caught dead that way as well.

I worked long time as a line manager for an US company and would though never have had the idea wearing the typical uniform of that position, pleated Khaki chinos, a light blue shirt with company embroideries and Hush Puppies or lookalikes, for example.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21