Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncool, dorky things you won't be caught dead in

Edward

Bartender
Completely agree on that last part, as much as I admire fashion from the past back when folks dressed well no matter the occasion…I’m glad I can atleast dress sloppy if need be(although it’s not my preferred way of going out.)

I find it works both ways - as in I've never been told to tone it down when I wear a three piece or tweeds and a bow tie to work because there's no dress code. That's the beauty of it from my perspective.

The weird ones to me are my students: if you took a photo pf my postgrad class from any year in the last two dozen, you'd be hard pushed to tell which year it was based on the fashions. I'm definitely seeing much less variation in what they wear than I think there was in my day, even allowing for the fact that I teach law students, who tend to have a lot of the individuality (re piercings, dyed hair, and whatever) ground out of them by the rigmarole of competing for City firm vacation schemes.

New2vintage24

New in Town
I find it works both ways - as in I've never been told to tone it down when I wear a three piece or tweeds and a bow tie to work because there's no dress code. That's the beauty of it from my perspective.

The weird ones to me are my students: if you took a photo pf my postgrad class from any year in the last two dozen, you'd be hard pushed to tell which year it was based on the fashions. I'm definitely seeing much less variation in what they wear than I think there was in my day, even allowing for the fact that I teach law students, who tend to have a lot of the individuality (re piercings, dyed hair, and whatever) ground out of them by the rigmarole of competing for City firm vacation schemes.
Law culture seems rather conservative so that doesn’t surprise me.

Edward

Bartender
Law culture seems rather conservative so that doesn’t surprise me.

Moreso, wardrobewise, than many professions, but this is changing too. Before the pandemic a lot of the big London law firms were already shifting over to a casualised dresscode; jeans are far from uncommon in those offices now.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A pair of Berkemann‘s of course…

00107-100-Noppen-Sandale-Berkemann-01.jpg

New2vintage24

New in Town
No, they're training shoes for an Indian Fakir. Successive pairs have stiffer and stiffer points in the sole until the wearer is walking on an insole of nails.
Had to look that up, doesn’t seem like practical footwear but not my culture therefore can’t judge.

Attachments

• 84F9FB1E-B7EB-4CD9-AC4A-22558528ADDB.jpeg
    84F9FB1E-B7EB-4CD9-AC4A-22558528ADDB.jpeg
    879.5 KB · Views: 46

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The insole is very strange, is it supposed to massage your feet?

These have long time been the footwear of choice for „white dress jobs“ like doctors, nurses, physiotherapists and many other sorts of health related jobs during last century in West Germany.

green papaya

One Too Many
ethnic or traditional clothing like Hawaiian grass skirts, Japanese Kimono , Kung Fu outfit , Mexican Sombrero straw hat , Asian conical sun hat, Alaskan native fur parkas , African Tashiki shirt , Leather Thong like Tarzan , Nazi style black leather Jack boots. Also no brightly colored clothing or tight fitting Lycra bicycle shorts.

My nephew is in finance and deals with Toronto/Bay Street's high level financiers. They did Zoom meetings prior to Covid but always dressed in suits & ties. During Covid and home bound lockdowns the dress code was relaxed and devolved to T shirts/polo shirts. But now post Covid, the devolved dress code is still t shirts. If the suit is dead on Bay Street (Canada's Wall Street) could its complete death be far behind?

New2vintage24

New in Town
My nephew is in finance and deals with Toronto/Bay Street's high level financiers. They did Zoom meetings prior to Covid but always dressed in suits & ties. During Covid and home bound lockdowns the dress code was relaxed and devolved to T shirts/polo shirts. But now post Covid, the devolved dress code is still t shirts. If the suit is dead on Bay Street (Canada's Wall Street) could its complete death be far behind?
They still serve a purpose in my completely biased opinion.
weddings, funerals, formal events, nice dinners ect.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Point taken. I believe sartorial pendulum will swing until median struck.
A City denizen I enjoy suited wear, Intelligence Corps or Para regimental tie, crests to cuff; Trinity College tie,
wrapped inside the standard 1917 trench, dark over coat, down to leather shoes shined. Saturday run in
step downs are rare and usually sweater commando or fisherman knit with Gloverall. But that is as far down.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Pretty sure my bellbottoms will end up here. LOL. Wait 'til you see the next pair I'm about to unleash...I gotta be me damnit!
Pictures, pictures! Tell you what, I will if you will. However my wide bottomed trousers aren't exactly bell shaped, the leg is straight from the knee down. None the less, the hem is twenty-two inches wide, not exactly your regular Levi's.

blazer3.jpg

Pictures, pictures! Tell you what, I will if you will. However my wide bottomed trousers aren't exactly bell shaped, the leg is straight from the knee down. None the less, the hem is twenty-two inches wide, not exactly your regular Levi's.

View attachment 475386
I worked with a British fellow who's father was a master tailor. He made bespoke clothing for celebrities. His father made pants for Andy Williams with wide straight legs....tailored to hide his very bowed legs.

Edward

Bartender

On the flipside, I like to hope the loss of the suit as something one is obligated to wear could rather see it becoming popular as a choice in future. The casualisation trend surely at some point must reach a stage where fashion can only swing the other way.

On the flipside, I like to hope the loss of the suit as something one is obligated to wear could rather see it becoming popular as a choice in future. The casualisation trend surely at some point must reach a stage where fashion can only swing the other way.
I am in my later years. Have suits left over from a career, now never worn and I doubt at this point I will ever wear another. I do have many tweed jackets - this is my now 'dress' uniform - tweed jacket, oxford button down, jeans, fedora and a great pair of boots. This is about as dressy as it gets these days. It pains me sometimes to reflect on the thousands of dollars of ties that I have gifted the Goodwill......but they weren't doing me any good.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
It pains me sometimes to reflect on the thousands of dollars of ties that I have gifted the Goodwill......but they weren't doing me any good.

I've accumulate ties off life: Eton, thence Trinity not King's at Cambridge. Commission, Intelligence Corps,
Paras regimental ties; with twin cuff pin. And those gifted. Since I disdain any casual professional approach
I flaunt formal attire along old school tie and regiment tradition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana