Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Business Wear Newbie

davidwebb_uk

New in Town
Hey Guys & Gals.

I've just joined although I've browsed the site occasionally in the past.

Currently wear a more rockabilly 50s look, jeans, bowling shirts etc which I love and I think suits my mentallity...

However, on the 1st December I'm starting a new job, a job where business attire is the norm.

So I'm on the search for some suggestions as to what I can wear that is vintage inspired at least. At 6'4" & 200lbs I've never been able to find true vintage wear.

I like the look of a 3 piece suit, but I'm also gonna need just trousers and shirts that look smart and I guess don't stand out too much.

If anyone can offer any suggestions of shops to check out in London I'd be extremely grateful. A suit shop who will help me got a vintage look that suits me would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

David

davidwebb_uk

New in Town
Over 200 people viewed my post above and not one person replied... No idea why.

So anyway I'm still looking for some vintage suits and although I've been to a few vintage shops no suit has fitted me. Either the sleeves of the jackets have been too short or the trousers have been way too small both in leg and waist. Why I keep finding 42L jackets matched with 32" waist trousers I have no idea!

So. I've been scouring eBay again and came across four suits that I like the look of and might possibly fit me. However, all are marked as vintage but with no information of era, and I'm not learned enough yet to tell from the look when they were made. So I'm back to ask for some friendly help and advice on if any of these suits are or would meet my 40s / 50s aspirations.

Hoping you can all find the time to help someone out.
Edit- Live Ebay links are not allowed. Thanks - Feraud.
Thanks in advance for any & all help.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
davidwebb_uk said:
/QUOTE]

Try posting more to activate your PM account. Then you can message London based loungers to get the information you need.

davidwebb_uk

New in Town
Thanks. I'll try and be a more active part of the Lounge. Seems things move quite quickly here so I don't know how much i can add to things.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At 6'4 and 190 lbs. I know the chance of finding a true vintage suit in my size is going to be slim to none, or highly priced due to the larger & smaller sizes getting lost over time, since there were way more "average" sized garments produced and saved over the years. It takes a little looking and shopping around to find something vintage-styled or vintage-inspired for us big guys, but it can be done.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Lookin’ for a traditional three piece? Well, if you’re passion lies in the post war era, three pieces weren’t as common then as they were a decade earlier.

I’ve always liked the look of a double breasted three piece in a navy or charcoal/black wool. That would be the ideal for me but, maybe a nice single breasted with peaked lapels, trousers with a generous, little to no taper in the cut, 1 ¾ turn ups will give you a nice sharp drape. Take a look around on the lounge at photos of period clothes and get a taste of what suit fashions were popular during the 30s-40s and get an idea of what’s out there. If you buy a few three piece suits, you can always just wear the pants when the whole suit isn’t called for. They can be very versatile.

Now, if you don’t want to go with the three piece, you would be surprised to see many cuts similar to the 50s TV look that’s out right now. That look may look well on you too.

All in all, welcome to the Lounge and have fun looking at all the different images and info on this site, there is a lot.

Cheers!

s_crumb

Familiar Face
davidwebb_uk said:

I've noticed that a lot of posts go unanswered here unless they are started by old timers. I tend to just sit back and read what comes up. Different forums have different vibes, that's all.

I'm in the same boat as you...6'4" 230 pounds. I've had some luck finding vintage stuff, but not a lot. Don't forget to check the US Ebay. I just snagged a suit from France on the US Ebay.

FWIW, Magnoli has a lot of suits that catch my eye. I just received a suit from him today. Dropped it off at the dry cleaners to be pressed. I was very pleased with his work. I made sure to have a local tailor take my measurements and the fit came back very nice. Couldn't be happier. The price is slightly higher than I would like to pay..... I'm spoiled by the local tailors prices here, but they can't produce vintage style suits.

Lokar

A-List Customer
s_crumb said:
I've noticed that a lot of posts go unanswered here unless they are started by old timers. I tend to just sit back and read what comes up. Different forums have different vibes, that's all.

There are not many Brits (nevermind Londoners) on the lounge, so many people will have gone into the thread, realise they can't help, and carry on.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
s_crumb said:

In some cases, new people post things that have already come up a hundred times here. Sometimes the thread title doesn't describe the thread, or it's vague, like "I Need Help!" In general, we're happy to help if we see a thread title that's up our alley, and we have an answer for the question. :)

Cobden

Practically Family
The current fashion for men's suits in the UK mirrors many of the features of American suits of the fifties (in some ways more the perception then reality, admittedly) - narrow lapels, fairly narrow trousers, 2 button- you could, in all honesty, pick a suit up with such features from good old marks and sparks. However, the major difference is the trousers (modern fashion being for low rise and pleatless; fifties higher waisted and with I think single inward pleats). The other differences is the jacket vents - modern British suits favouring side vents, fifties suits tending to be ventless.

filfoster

One Too Many
Help

Paisley said:
In some cases, new people post things that have already come up a hundred times here. Sometimes the thread title doesn't describe the thread, or it's vague, like "I Need Help!" In general, we're happy to help if we see a thread title that's up our alley, and we have an answer for the question. :)

Not to detour the thread but I want to give the Bartenders like Brad Bowers, James Powers, Scotrace Paddy and Feraud,and many of the 'old timers' (you know who you are!) props: they have helped me and most of us, many, many times locate a thread or a source. No one intends to be stand-offish, honestly. That's the fun of this place, after all. There are wonderful folks from all over the globe here in the Lounge but I think there is a good point about the help available in a specific place, in the posts above.

Feraud

Bartender
Don't forget the stickies at the top of the room!
The stickies consist of catalog scans from the 30s to early 40s generously scanned by members. They demonstrate what was available in terms of clothing style, cut, patterns, coordinating, trends, shoes, accessories, etc.

davidwebb_uk

New in Town
Thanks again for the advice guys.

I've been trawling through the stickies and recommended threads and started making myself a style guide folder. Photos of looks I like. I'll keep an eye peeled for bits and pieces that i can find that fit the look from the modern era I guess.

Thanks again and I'll keep trying to be active in the forums.

David

billyspew

One Too Many
Sorry David, only just seen this thread.

I would try Hornets in Kensington, very nice, secondhand/vintage suits from big names and Saville Row/Jermyn Street tailors. Good prices, good range of sizes (being 6'3" and 210lbs I have similar problem).

There's also a couple of stores on Chalk Farm Road (between Camden & Chalk Farm), but it's mostly horrible 70's ones with the odd gem.

s_crumb

Familiar Face
Billyspew:

What do the second hand Savile Row suits generally go for over there? I recently picked up several Savile Row suits for $60 a piece. I was wondering if those were typical prices? Seems crazy people would spend $3000 dollars or more on a suit and they would get sold so cheaply.

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
Also, take a look at magnoliclothiers.com
He's one of "our guys" out in New Zealand. A bit pricey, but everything's bespoke with top materials. But if your in Britain, you might as well go Savil Rowe(sp)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo