Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage paperbacks...anyone collect em'?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have a very small collection of vintage hardcover novels, but I've never picked up any paperbacks. I actually tend to stick with vintage magazines, particularly Cosmopolitans, McCall’s, and Ladies Home Journals, from the 1930s-40s. I do read the articles and stories, and look at the ads as well, but very carefully! It pains me when I see people selling ads cut out from the old mags—it is fun to decorate your house with these old ads, but why not make nice color copies instead of destroying the magazines?

Anyway, I’d love to see some cover art from your collection. Sounds very impressive!

D

Deleted member 259

There is a 2nd hand bookstore near me that carrys loads of vintage pulp fiction. I wanted to buy some of them just for the sake of the title and cover illustrations.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I collect them too. I go either for books I love or cover art I love. Sometimes the twain do meet. My favourite cover artist is James Avati, the anti-Rockwell. Do you have any favourites, any gems? I'd love to see some scans of your collection.

Cheers.

fountwriter

New in Town
shamus said:
Anyone collect vinage paperbacks? I have about 500 or so. I've been collecting for years now. Mostly 40's-50's. I go for the great titles and cover art. I never actually read them as I might destroy the book. They're old you know...

I can scan some of the good ones if you want to see them...

I'd love to see some of your covers or maybe you can direct me to a nice online gallery i have not seen yet. I love old pop culture, but sadly i don't have so much in my own collection.

Adam

shamus

Suspended
here's a few I pulled out

Frisco Gal by clarkson crane Novel Library 17
Women to Love by Sinclair Drago Novel Library 16
Chinese Red by Richard Burke Dell 260
NoTim To Kill by George Harmon Coxe Dell 182
The Devil To Pay by Ellery Queen Pocket book 270
and the king... The big Sleep by Raymond Chandler Pocket 696

Shamus

book3.jpg

books1.jpg

books2.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I collect books by and about, you guess it, Ernest Hemingway. I have quite a few first editions, but some of my favorites are the Pulp art covers of the 1st paperback editions published in the late 40s and early 50s. The cover art is amazing, much like those posted by shamus. Imagine "To Have and Have Not," or "A Farewell to Arms" with pulp-style covers.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Coooooooooooooooooooooll! What I like to do is have the cover art blown up poster size at a print shop and frame them. Since I'm a single guy I can hang them where ever I want to...a good one hangs over my toilet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo