Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sunglasses

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Covet!

2009jun17_cu_public-enemies_still5.jpg

Need 'em!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They are very cool but not $1,500 cool. When all is said and done, they are 1930s tortoise shell sunglasses.

I have 1930s sunglasses that cost 20 bucks that are also extremely cool. Translucent red frames, German. And ya know what? They are not 1/75 (1.3%) as cool. They are about 97% as cool.

I also have 1930s sunglasses that have pale frames. They cost 28 bucks. They are about 70% - 80% as cool as those tortoise-shell numbers.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I think it was more of the screen-used factor that lifted that price to 1500 bucks - not the coolness factor.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Who would have ever thought that those pair of sunglasses back when they first fell off the production line would have a price tag like that?:eek: Funky!

I saw a pair of Ray-Ban Gatsby's go for about $26 recently that were pretty darn close to that model that Johnny Depp wore. They're out there at decent prices you just have to be patient.

Cheers!

Dan

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Ralph Lauren Purple Label Aviator Sunglasses

Just saw these great Ralph Lauren Purple Label tortoise aviator sunglasses on their website. It appears, from the pics, the frames are metal with a "tortoise" finish to them. Cost - $350.00 UGH! Anybody know where these can be purchased at discount? Thanks

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
you must mean these?? They do look sharp (for that price they better!), BUT...
pPOLO2-5999255_mailer_v330.jpg
On this model these look really large. There is the funky thing across the top too. This model's hair is GORGEOUS, but it doesn't look regulation... He'd probably look real nice with a pencil moustache ;)

Certainly one can find a real vintage pair for FAR less... I am looking for a vintage pair as a gift for my husband to wear with his authentic WWII Army Air Corp Captain's uniform. The pair I was sent a picture of from Allyn Scura are a gold metal frame with the wrap around your ears sides, and mother of pearl nose pieces. The RL don't even look close.

polocoat

One of the Regulars
Yes, the glasses on the gentleman are the ones. I like the combination of the vintage pilot glasses and the more modern "Outdoorsman" (Ray Ban) model. Can they be bought for less than $350.00? I have been checking on Ebay with no luck yet. ;)

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
chanteuseCarey said:
you must mean these?? They do look sharp (for that price they better!), BUT...
pPOLO2-5999255_mailer_v330.jpg
On this model these look really large. There is the funky thing across the top too.

I believe that funky thing is called a sweat bar.

Those are quite reasonably proportioned in comparison to all the 'state trooper' grade monster reflectors that were en vogue with the frat boys when the trucker hat fad came around.

The things they do with the trench-coats in those ads are just ludicrous. They have the collar all buttoned up like he's about to go out into a hurricane but then it's unbuttoned atleast half the way down, and they've got the sides tied back, wide open like some sort of stupid cape. :rolleyes:

The hairstyling is generally quite enviable though, for sure.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can still find the classic RayBan Aviators with or without sweatbar, in several shades of lens and finishes of frames and, yes, if you want them, even mirrored lenses, and for substantially less. Why go for an overpriced modern knock-off when the classic's still readily available?

PseudoGent

New in Town
In complete agreement with you, Mike, I have a pair of Ray Ban Aviators and they were definitely worth the money I spent. Mine have graduated blue lenses and gold wire frames, sans sweatbar. Unfortunately I recently vomited all over them (I'm 19, so the occasional drunk night is to be expected), so I won't be wearing them until I've completely removed the smell.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of Ralph Lauren Sunglasses, I saw a pair about a year ago that looked very similar to the celluloid sunglasses Depp wore in Public Enemies, maybe even better looking. I know his were vintage but the ones I saw were similar to those with a $150 price tag. They were in an optics shop up in Oregon & I didn't have the funds to get them at the time. Wish I knew the model & if they still made them.

Johnny-Depp-Public-Enemies-sunglasses-1.jpg

I've been on the hunt for them for a year now with no luck. Most likely it was a model that was on it's last leg & they stopped making them.

Cheers!

Dan

habberdasher

A-List Customer
1920s Sunglasses

I've been looking around for Mens or Unisex 1920s-styled Sunglasses. I've found some made by Jaguar Motor Cars, and they claim to be 1920s styled. You can get them for $50, a big discount from I think $289. I'm just not sure if they are really authentic 1920s styled, though. I can't really find any others, even on eBay. Any recommendations for AUTHENTIC 20s-styled sun eyewear? If they wear made in the 20s, then all the better, because then I know they're real. If they're modern, please make sure that they're AUTHENTICALLY styled. Please, NO Ray-ban styled teardrop shaped lenses, because one they are cliched and now used for modern styles, and two they were invented in the thirties. I believe 20s glasses were just circles, which is why I'm skeptical about the Jaguars (though they are very chic). Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy