Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-y Birthday Cake Ideas?

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Hey Y'all! Long time no see...

I was watching one of those out there "cake-maker" shows on tv wit my mother and we got to talking about what we'd want for our birthday cakes.

I said I'd want something vintage-y maybe a lil (emphasis on lil) kitschy -Like *artist* SHAG kitschy. Like a Cake made in the shape of a Tiki idol or something.

But I'm not so sure I want that now. As in right now. So I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas.

(BTW: At The Moment I'm also contemplating getting either a regular flat-cake shaped like a martini glass or decorated with a martini glass for my 21st b-day in honor of that beign a drinking milestone and my unending love for THE THIN MAN movie series. Cute idea, huh?... Or is it?)

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
The first thing that immediately sprang to mind at the mention of vintage birthday cake was the one Julianne Moore makes for her husband in "The Hours". I can remember the fat kid in me screaming "NOOO!!" when she tossed her first attempt in the garbage because it didn't turn out right...she could have had that entire cake to herself and noone would have been the wiser! lol

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Check out these cool cakes.

I'd have the people that make the cakes above make me a cake shaped like a wind up Victrola or maybe a 1937 Auburn Speedster. Yeah, an Auburn.;)

33+-+Auburn+Speedster.  jpg

If I couldn't get the Auburn I'd settle for this 1935 Buick Model 60

1935_Buick-Series-60.jpg

Or maybe this 1936 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe

1936_Packard-120convcoupe.jpg

On second thought, forget the cake, I'll just take the cars!

Foofoogal

Banned
There are places that can put just about any photo on a cake. Dress up vintage with some friends or some other vintage Art Deco photo or something and put that on the cake.

should be working and not on FL.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
We recently brought a birthday lemon with lemon real butter cream frosting large rectangle cake in a foil pan on my 51st birthday (8/27) to a vintage themed big band dance we went to held at the Officer's Club at the Presidio in San Francisco. Yes, it was a vintage style cake alright- in that my husband MADE it, and frosted and decorated it for me- not a bakery. For a real vintage look? Try your basic round or rectangle cake.

Back in the 'vintage' days people made the food themselves. Sorry if this bursts your bubble! Mine certainly wasn't super fancy at all, most would think it was pretty plain by today's standards. But it would have been like that in the 30s or 40s with the Great Depression and then WWII going on, if you got a cake on your birthday at all.

The only fancy thing about it really was he grated fresh lemon peel into the cake batter and frosting. It had "Happy Birthday Carey" written on it and 51 candles that I got to blow out after the singing. But it was very yummy and sweet, and sweet of him to do it just for me:) , and to have enough to share with our dance deco friends there. That was special enough for me!

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
HOME MADE

Vintage-y Birthday Cake Ideas? Easy. A good old-fashioned HOME MADE Birthday Cake! It seems that hardly anybody makes home-made cakes any more, either from a package or made from scratch! What a shame. It's so easy to whip up a home made cake. And for most people these days to be given an honest-to-goodness home made cake would be much appreciated, not to mention "healthier" :eek: than the store bought variety. Sheet cake, layer cake, chocolate, yellow or Sponge (my favorite). Who can resist ? :D

Emer

One of the Regulars
I agree that a home made cake would be the vintage thing to do. If you wanted to dress it up, how about adding a basket weave to the side and some frosting grass on top. Nestle in some fresh strawberries and you have a little starwberry field for your birthday cake. Frosting tips are easy to find, and I think even the vintage ladies would have tried to dress up their cakes as best they could!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21