Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VLJ status

bfrench

Familiar Face
Hi, Folks,

Sorry for the delay in posting here but I've been a little preoccupied since sometime Monday.

Initially contacted the forum hosting site and reported the problem - at first the techie said he could do a site restore based on their backups - that would be 16 Oct, 2015 - if that had succeed I could have done a restore based on our backups for Sunday 2 Nov, 2015 - we'd have lost very little.

But this was to no avail.

Received an email from the host site that there was a server problem and they were working on the problem - I could log onto their site and do all that was required from their applications page.

As of 7:30 PM EST 03 Nov. 2015, I can't log onto the host site.

In a worst case scenario - supposing that the host went belly up - we have backups up to and including 28 Oct, 2015 - after a complete rebuild we could then do a restore and bring us back up to 28 Oct, 2015.

I'm hoping they've had a server problem and will be back by tomorrow.

Cheers,
Bill French

Latest info - I'm still trying to find the cause of our meltdown and have been offered help from the good folks here.

So in a few days we may be able to see some results.

In the meantime - please pass the info around that we're kind of camping out here for the time being.

Again, many thanks to our hosts at the Fedora Lounge.

Cheers,
Bill French

Last edited:

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Thanks Bill
You never know or should I really say appreciate how good something really is until it's gone.
Well done for all your efforts

Alan

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks very much, missing my fix too...this glitch has reminded people myself included just how valuable the VLJ is to our community..might lead to a few new members too given the thread on here :)

kojax

Practically Family
thanks buddy i was on there fourm for years. i lost my password never could get back on i really liked it there they sent me alot of new passwords never got on

Good to hear. Common stuff and while it always sounds easy to get things up again, it rarely is.
Good news is that there seems to be a lot of lurkers on VLJ, regardless of the lower post counts.

Maybe VLJ hosts can look at moving to a better, more modern board and open up to more members without the current restrictions.
The admin tools on new software are extremely good, and problem people can be dealt with quickly and cleanly.
You can never ever stop someone who is hell-bent on being a pain, but as a moderator of a couple forums, I can state that the newer tools are much better. I usually spend time every week cleaning up and banning "members" who spam or otherwise cause trouble.

Until you do this stuff, you have no idea what a PITA it is - so everyone should thank the hosts of the forums they spend lots of time in :)

THANKS Bill, JC, etc for the VLJ.
THANKS to the hosts here for their hard work too.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Good to hear. Common stuff and while it always sounds easy to get things up again, it rarely is.
Good news is that there seems to be a lot of lurkers on VLJ, regardless of the lower post counts.

Maybe VLJ hosts can look at moving to a better, more modern board and open up to more members without the current restrictions.
The admin tools on new software are extremely good, and problem people can be dealt with quickly and cleanly.
You can never ever stop someone who is hell-bent on being a pain, but as a moderator of a couple forums, I can state that the newer tools are much better. I usually spend time every week cleaning up and banning "members" who spam or otherwise cause trouble.

Until you do this stuff, you have no idea what a PITA it is - so everyone should thank the hosts of the forums they spend lots of time in :)

THANKS Bill, JC, etc for the VLJ.
THANKS to the hosts here for their hard work too.

Scott that was an interesting post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Not too many problem people on the Lounge but the <1% can create >99% of the misery and angst on any forum.

bfrench

Familiar Face
Hi, Folks,

We haven't completely given up yet.

On the plus side I'm finding that my patience and BS tolerance levels are being sorely tested by the techies who run the host site - and it's graded as one of the top three available.

Well, anyway, the latest techie report is this verbatim;

(11:35) [Sanketh] We are aware of the issue. Our specilaists are working on it. They will be resolving it as soon as possible.

Now that just fills me with confidence and makes me jubilant.

However, we'll get through this and could you all post to your friends that we are still trying to get up and running.

Cheers,
Bill French

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Bill
Patience is a virtue.
Keep at it please.

When it returns the existing members will value the site now so much more.
Hopefully several new members what with the publicity as well
Best wishes for not giving in.
Alan

PS. Ha ha. This is not some marketing techie adman's campaign to drive up the forums membership numbers is it by keeping us all hanging on. !!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner