Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WARdrobe, an exhibition of women, fashion, and World War II

Jonathan

New in Town
Hi all, I am a new member to this chat room, and although I don't wear vintage 40s clothing myself, I do collect it. I just opened an exhibition at the Guelph Museum, in Guelph, Ontario today which if you are in the area, you may want to check out. I dont' know how to post pics here, so here is a link to the Vintage Fashion Guild where I posted some pics.
http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/public/viewthread.php?tid=1350

babylonmall

New in Town
I'm taking the liberty of posting Jonathan's pix because only members can view that thread

Imagea.jpg

Imageb.jpg

Imagec.jpg

Imaged.jpg

Imagee.jpg

Imagef.jpg

Imageg.jpg

Image46.jpg

:cool:

Deb

babylonmall

New in Town
Click the little icon in between the title and the text you enter, it looks like this:
insertimage.gif

And then just copy in the URL of the picture.

Deb

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
Where did you get those vintage clothes from? You never really see vintage female military rags anywhere. How a love seeing a lady dressed with style and class. The good old days never die. Good people like you won't let them.

Jonathan

New in Town
I have been collecting antique clothing for 25 years, so you know how it goes... when ye seek ye shall find!
THe women's military uniforms I have on display are all Canadian service and include the women's winter CWAC uniform, great coat, and battle tunic and pants (they wore battle dress during training). I have the summer uniform, but it is not on display. I also have the Red Cross dress uniform for the women who trained mostly for ambulance driving in 1939/40 before the Canadian armed forces were opened to women in 1941. There is also the RCMC nurse's uniform on display which is a tough one to find, especially as I have all the bits and parts of it, but the cuffs, which the original wearer lost at some point over the years. The most heart breaking thing I have ever run across in all my years of collecting was when I went to see a woman about her CWAC uniform and she was one of 6 Canadian women who served in Italy in 1944/45. Because of the heat in Southern Italy they were given special permission to wear a white cotton uniform instead of the usual brown lightweight wool summer uniform which was still far too hot for the south of Italy -- they were the only 6 women in ALL of the Canadian army to have a white cotton uniform! Stupidly, she had donated that uniform to a theatre company about ten years earlier but kept her far more common winter and summer dress uniforms. I nicely chastised her about having gotten rid of it and how incredibly rare it was!

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
Thanks mac for the insight. I learn a little more about the golden 1940's that I love so much. You truly preserve time for all to live by.Thanks again.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Good to have a fellow collector with us! Well, I collect vintage clothes from 1920 to 1950 and I wear my collection seeing I olny buy items that fit.

I have a few WWII Class A's in my collection like, AAF pinks and Greens, Enlisted AAF Class A's and a full Sailor dress blues.

That's really nice that you have a place to display your collection.

That is a crying shame that CWAC didn't know that her white summer outfit would be so rare. I feel your pain my friend! That would have been just the coolest. I lived in Canada for two years and I have found some really nice vintage up there. I staied in Regina SK, Flin Flon MB, Winnipeg MB, Fort Frances On, Selkirk MB and Saskatoon SK. Ah, good times!

I have to say that for me, I couldn't see the photos. Only one that had a French tag in it. So, I would love to see some of the stuff, but how can I see it?

Any way, all the best in your findings!

Root.

Jonathan

New in Town
Oops, sorry about that, I erased the wrong photo links... Anyway, they are back up now, but I somehow managed to botch up one photo link, so ignore that last image!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails