Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waterproofing a coat

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
I have a Carhartt that has served me well for the past 8 or 9 years. I was thinking about getting a Filson, but it occurred to me that the only thing I don't like about my Carhartt is that it is not waterproof.

Has anyone ever successfully waterproofed a Carhartt coat? How did you do it? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I've tried a couple of methods to waterproof cotton garments. Not much success with the spray-on stuff you can buy at Target or sporting goods stores. I have not tried the wax sold by Filson and others on non-Filson garments, so I don't know if that would work. Typically my new Carhartt coats, the original stiff canvas ones, not the pre-washed, are fairly water proof until they've been worn a lot and/or washed. Just FYI, I have a Filson waxed rain jacket that has been somewhat disappointing in regards to water repellency. I haven't worn it a lot, re-treated it myself a couple of times. When I did wear it working the rain, it soaked through in about an hour. I sent it back to Filson. They re-treated it at no charge, but I don't really trust it.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Will the wax soak into the wool lining?

My coat is 8 or 9 years old. It was pretty stiff originally, but it's an ol' softy now. It fits right, the pockets are right, it has the right amount of lining, but I'd like some waterproofing. I don't want to treat it with something, and it not work. Then I won't have a great coat anymore, but a formerly great coat.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
So there is the Filson wax, the Barbour wax, and what else? Anyone think that Sno Seal would work? Any other suggestions? I'm thinking I might give this a shot. I have two pairs of Carhartt pants that are the same age as the coat. They are too big for me now, but I might give this method a shot on them. They would make incredible pants to wear over sweat pants or thermals in the winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy