Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What a suit! Spotted at a Paris flea market ...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Forgotten Man said:
Yeah, and a HAIR CUT!!! Could use a center crease in that fedora too.

Neat shoes and the suit is really early... what would you say Marc, 1932?

He's trying to look like a vintage European artist. They've always had longish hair, even back in the Golden Era.

Yes, I'd say early '30s. I like the inward curve of the patch pockets.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
The old guy in the khakis also has what seems to be a nice vintage jacket. Could be gaberdine, but might be that whipcord that they made jackets and slacks from, often in westernish styles.

Isn't the entire suit a tad on the small side for him? I don't know what the conventions were back when that suit was made, but to my modern eyes the jacket looks too short, in both the skirt and sleeve, and not quite far enough around, either. It looks like that young gent would have to suck in his gut to button the thing, at least without the fabric pulling on the buttons(s).

No?

I myself happen to have a few pieces I think of as aspirational garments. Drop another five pounds and they'd fit. Or ten, maybe.

cptjeff

Practically Family
He's thin and tall. The reason that modern 36 chest jackets always seem too long for people with 36 inch chests, which is what causes that common short guy in a dumpy suit look. He's wearing a suit that fits his chest but was cut for somebody more normally proportioned in regards to height.

Beh. Nice suit, could fit him better. But still a pretty good look IMO.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Ummm, let me see, from my point of view I believe the pants are a little short, but not that short. I know that the cuffs were let down but, I don't think that it's that short... the sleeves look to be just about right for a 1930-32 period suit.

I have owned and seen a few early suits of this period, the sleeves are almost ALWAYS as long as the coat. They were cut much shorter by the late 20s into the 30s. Marc can back me up on this one.

You can not expect someone to wear an 80 year old suit and expect it to look like something from the "Men's warehouse"... in which I'd say, "You'll not understand the way it's Supposed to look" I guarantee it! lol

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Forgotten Man said:
I have owned and seen a few early suits of this period, the sleeves are almost ALWAYS as long as the coat. They were cut much shorter by the late 20s into the 30s. Marc can back me up on this one.

Yes, it's true. Suit jackets and dinner jackets were cut shorter, and the sleeves reached down to nearly the bottom of the jacket skirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24