Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What About Hoodies Under Leather Jackets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I don't understand the hoodie revival, these things have been around forever and people act like they have just been invented.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
I LOVE hoodies under leather jackets! It's not dressy, and hoodies are great for layering on a commute on your bike to work (they even keep your neck warm)! My work is pretty casual, but hoodies are great at work too... If I was going to go to a four star restaurant, would I wear a hoodie?...certainly not!...but I wouldn't wear a leather jacket either, as it just wouldn't be appropriate. IMHO, the hoodie / leather jacket combo =s WIN! I think it's a very hip look...

subject101

One of the Regulars
Well, I don't have nothing against hoodies by themselves when not used out of place.

The problem that is arising lately is leather jacket + hoodie. The hoodie always proudly out of the jacket. The other day I saw a guy with an A-2 and the hoodie out on the back. I'm aware of the fact that I'm a vintage punk but it was somehow a disturbing/shocking experience.

subject101

One of the Regulars

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Well, I don't have nothing against hoodies by themselves when not used out of place.

The problem that is arising lately is leather jacket + hoodie. The hoodie always proudly out of the jacket. The other day I saw a guy with an A-2 and the hoodie out on the back. I'm aware of the fact that I'm a vintage punk but it was somehow a disturbing/shocking experience.

I think people are trying to amalgamate classic vintage items with more current trends in fashion. For example, a lot of women now wear classic leather jackets with "skinny jeans." This is in stark contrast to the common 1940s and 1950s practice of pairing a leather jacket with men's Big E "Donut Hole" and XX 501s, but it's a more feminine look...it's refreshing. I think it's much the same with both men and women and the leather jacket / hoodie pairing...something that's new, wouldn't have been worn 60 years ago, but fresh, exploratory, whatever... This is how every classic pairing eventually came into fashion--young men and women doing something new, something that their fathers and mothers would have never done, doing something which is new, doing something which is fun, etc.,...my two cents...

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Last edited:

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I remember when I was a kid in NYC, the only people you saw wearing hoodies under coats were bums. Everytime I see it now thats what I think of.

Dav

One Too Many
It's not for me, but each to their own, an even worse variant that I've seen recently is the hooded flannel shirt. Again not for me.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
I remember when I was a kid in NYC, the only people you saw wearing hoodies under coats were bums. Everytime I see it now thats what I think of.

...LOL...I know, but things are changing...here's $2500 worth of apparel aboard a $20,000 bike...it's a new world...

7897573.jpg

I know that it isn't a world for everyone...Yet, consider this--the diversity in fashion that exists today makes things fun and exciting...some combos don't work out while others are quite exciting, new, and creative...

53Effie

A-List Customer
I have to agree with Mojo on the hoodie question. It's pretty cold here in the winter and the hoodie adds comfort. As he mentions, they are a great neckwarmer on the bike. They are certainly not the only thing I wear under leather jackets, but I do like them that way. I have an old goatskin A-2 that is really comfortable with a hoodie under it. Just right for casual cold weather wear in this area. It's my favorite hoodie / leather combination.

hutch

Familiar Face
I personally do not care for the look but it also depends on the jacket, hood, etc, etc. Layering I can deal with. I dislike when a cloth or jersey type material is permanently attached to a leather jacket, but to each is own. But then people use to think leisure suits were hip.

What I hate is the term "hoodie." It is another example of street terminology going mainstream and I do not care for or buy into the whole street culture thing. That is why I usually call them hooded jackets or hooded sweatshirts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24