Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your unreleased dvd wants?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
Call me nuts, but I like the Marvin/Reagan version of The Killers better than the original.

Hey, it's Lee Marvin and John Cassavettes so it's easy to love. The beauty of the Criterion set is that you don't have to choose one version, you get both, so you can watch them back to back over and over.

They even throw in Tarkovsky's student film of The Killers.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
Criterion released The Killers quite a while ago in a killer package that included the made for TV remake by Don (Dirty Harry) Siegel and starring Lee Marvin and Ronald Reagan.
AH, Now I see, it IS in print; I'd been ignoring that Amazon search result since the first stars listed were other than Burt Lancaster or Ava Gardner... Thanks Jake :eusa_clap

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Id love to see "Star of Midnight" with William Powell and Ginger Rogers on DVD.

TCM aired it once and I taped it but its not the best quality (geez, video tape).

The movie is another Thin Man knockoff thats fully of swaky Art Deco sets. One great scene has Powell and Ginger getting sloshed on "Sidecars" for lunch. After that, I started drinking "Sidecars."

Hondo

One Too Many
I'm sure there are many more but two do stand out in my mind.

"Some Came Running" with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Shirley MacLaine
And...
"Best of Enemies", David Niven and Alberto Sordi

I wonder what the heck is taking so long :mad:

lindylady

A-List Customer
Call me crazy, but I really want for Diary of a Madman to be released on dvd. TCM aired it on March 8, and since then, I've had a Vincent Price obsession.

Feraud

Bartender
vintage68 said:
I'd love to see Lassiter with Tom Selleck, and High Road to China, also with Selleck and both set in the late 30's and early 40's.
I thought these were both on dvd but I see only High Road to China is.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
I forgot about Star of Midnight. Too few of Ginger's non-musical movies are on DVD. Another funny one with her is Bachelor Mother with David Niven.

I'd also like:
Affair in Trinidad (Rita Hayworth, Glenn Ford) - a US playable version
Nora Prentiss (Ann Sheridan)-not likely soon; I just read the only 35mm print needs major restoration.

The Mad Miss Manton (Barbara Stanwyk)
The Ex Mrs. Bradford (William Powell, with Jean Arthur)
In Name Only (Carol Lombard, Cary Grant)
Standing Room Only (Paulette Goddard, Fred MacMurry)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Are there any movies in particular that you want to add to you dvd collection but cannot?

All of the early talkies/musicals. Every single one of them, say from the advent of sound until 1930. The All Talking* All singing* All Dancing * period.
I want them and I want them badly.
I want them now. :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Why Mediterraneo?

This film won best foreign language oscar (Italy) in 1992. It's set on a Greek island during WWII. It features some of the most stunningly spectacular real estate in the world. And it has Vanna Barba. I just don't get why this film has never been released on DVD.

Mediterraneo.JPG

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
This film won best foreign language oscar (Italy) in 1992. It's set on a Greek island during WWII. It features some of the most stunningly spectacular real estate in the world. And it has Vanna Barba. I just don't get why this film has never been released on DVD.

Mediterraneo.JPG

You need to get one of those cheap all region dvd players; Mediterraneo is available in R2 format in the UK.

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
CAVALCADE: One of two Oscar winners for Best Picture (WINGS is the other) not out on DVD.

DANGEROUS MOONLIGHT: Featuring Addinsell's famous "Warsaw Concerto".

AT SWORD'S POINT: I remember seeing this one on a lazy Sunday afternoon a long time ago.

Several B-list series, such as the Bowery Boys, Boston Blackie, Mexican Spitfire, etc.

The non-Three Stooges Columbia shorts (and while you're at it, about a Three Stooges set that is packaged in a professional, intelligent, and logical manner)

More Laurel & Hardy movies

The Fox & Crow cartoons

Tex Avery's MGM cartoons (WITHOUT the Vegematic treatment)

Kimberly

Practically Family
Cousin Hepcat said:
Great choices, everyone.

Would love to replace these VHSes with DVDs:

b70-9948

"(Ernest Hemingway's) THE KILLERS", 1946, Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner - Hit men kill an unresisting victim, and investigator Reardon uncovers his past involvement with beautiful, deadly Kitty Collins.

EDGEOFDARKNESS_poster2.jpg

"EDGE OF DARKNESS", 1943, Errol Flynn, Ann Sheridan - Nazi's invasion of Norway: in a small fishing village that is headquarters to 150 German soldiers, the 800 locals are stewing, waiting for a supply of arms so they can revolt.

b70-16367

"NOTORIOUS", 1946, Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman - A woman is asked to spy on a group of Nazi friends in South America. How far will she have to go to ingratiate herself with them? (not in print; inflated used prices, unless you want to buy for $50 from someone with "90% positive feedback"...)

and was about to say, out-of-the-groove as it my seem, "ROOTS" miniseries, 1977... but just saw on Amazon, its due for an anniversary edition release in 10 days - gotta love life's pleasant surprises.

- C H

I have never seen Notorious but always wanted to. Ingrid Bergman is one of my favorite actresses so I try and see most of them. Do you know if it's ever been on TCM?

And thanks for the FYI on Roots. I read that book for the first time last year and couldn't put it down. I have wanted to see the movie and had no idea they were releasing it on DVD.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Kimberly said:
I have never seen Notorious but always wanted to. Ingrid Bergman is one of my favorite actresses so I try and see most of them. Do you know if it's ever been on TCM?
It has been, a while back, but I've been checking the schedule recently & didn't see it, so finally bought a used copy for $7 on VHS from Amazon.

Incidentally, I just got it & watched it last night - as I'd remembered from the first time, GREAT! Superb. She's one of my faves anyway, and looked the best ever - A similar kind of chemistry as Bogey & Bacall - A Must-See:

notorious-3.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...8032487-1804860?ie=UTF8&qid=1175405823&sr=1-1

Kimberly said:
And thanks for the FYI on Roots. I read that book for the first time last year and couldn't put it down. I have wanted to see the movie and had no idea they were releasing it on DVD.
Thanks for the reccomend on the book - I taped the movie when they re-aired it a couple years back, and couldn't stop watching, worn out the VHS tapes from re-watching; you just can't stop once you've started... been wondering if the book was as good, guess I'll pick that up too with the DVDs. :)

Speaking of which, Amazon & other online stores still say the DVD set is "Pre-Order Now! Available: Tuesday, May 22, 2007", wonder what the holdup is... :mad:

- C H

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
patrick1987 said:
What's the Vegematic treatment?

You've seen the Vegematic advertised on TV (usually during commercial break interrupting those martial arts/Japanese monster/Italian sword-and-sandal movies). It slices! It dices! It make classic cartoons politically correct! (In the context of my statement.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner