Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your unreleased dvd wants?

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Up Front, the antics of Bill Mauldin's Willie and Joe brought to life.

Inchon, a $50 million flop funded by the Unification Church (no wonder they were always begging at the airports-hare krishna...krishna, krishna...hare hare...tambourines jingle-jangling).

The Hitler Diaries, a true story about the scam Stern magazine was duped into believing perpetrated by one of the world's greatest forgers and one of its own reporters.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
The Oscar, a notoriously bad film in which Harlan Ellison wrote the screenplay.

Pretty Maids All In a Row, another really bad film, in which Gene Roddenberry wrote the screenplay instead of producing Star Trek's third season.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was released on DVD as a Director's Edition in which scenes were controversially cut and new effects were added in. I'd like to see the original (or the extended for TV) version released on DVD.

Can you tell that I'm a Trek fan? :D

NH

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
A couple of newspaper-related requests:

Deadline U.S.A. - Bogart as a crusading editor. Watched most of this one on AMC several months ago, but my VCR screwed up and I missed the last fifteen minutes. Great movie, and I'd love to own it.

Lou Grant - Watched one episode of this when I was six or seven years old, and it put me on the path to journalism. (A path that I fell off once I hit the real world, but that's not the issue.) Supposedly the DVD releases are held up because someone doesn't like Asner's politics, which is pure horse-hockey.

(And while I'm wishing, I'd like it if they hurried up volume 2 of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Jedburgh OSS said:
Up Front, the antics of Bill Mauldin's Willie and Joe brought to life.

I could kick myself for not taping Up Front & Back to the Front when American Movie Classics aired these back around 1999-2000. Aargh!

BTW, if you ever run across it, do read Bill Mauldin's excellent Back Home. A great read.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To start with -

Vivacious Lady - Jimmy Stewart & Ginger Rogers - where else can you see Rogers & supposed invalid Beulah Bondi doing a swinging version Charleston? And the aforementioned slapping scene. Hilarious!

Merrily We Live - Billie Burke, Brian Aherne and two huge dogs - one named "Get off the carpet!" and the other "And you too!"

Blue Dahlia which I just watched last night and allegedly played a part in Elizabeth Short getting dubbed The Black Dahlia.

And of course, the TV series Homefront.

And PADancer - true, some of those others have posted are indeed available on VHS...but VHS degrades in quality over time, or the tape breaks from multiple viewings and can't be replaced. We were looking for one to replace a long-ago lost tape recently (can't remember the name at the moment) and Amazon did have one seller with a copy...for $279. No thanks!

Also, buying a new VHS machine if yours happens to break down is almost impossible these days. I bought one two years ago when a major electronics chain was closing out VCR's just to have a spare...and now I used it with the computer. I've been gradually converting our VHS to DVD -a friend was going to toss a high-end analog to digital converter so I snapped that puppy up. Vivacious Lady is on my hit list next - I taped it on TCM recently. I love that film!

DVDs also take up a whale of a lot less storage space, and I've got a nifty cataloger program that you just punch in the UPC, place of purchase, cost and date and it pulls in the cover scans, cast, plot, genre, etc. Blows away friends when they ask if I have something and I grab a binder on the coffee table that lists everything. ;) But I've never had the guts to run the one that shows how much I've got invested in DVDs. :eusa_doh:

And I believe I heard recently that Notorious is soon to be released on DVD.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
To start with -

Vivacious Lady - Jimmy Stewart & Ginger Rogers - where else can you see Rogers & supposed invalid Beulah Bondi doing a swinging version Charleston? And the aforementioned slapping scene. Hilarious!

Merrily We Live - Billie Burke, Brian Aherne and two huge dogs - one named "Get off the carpet!" and the other "And you too!"

Blue Dahlia which I just watched last night and allegedly played a part in Elizabeth Short getting dubbed The Black Dahlia.

And of course, the TV series Homefront. .

I second the motion that these films be transfered to DVD! I must say Mike you have wonderful taste in movies and TV shows.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mike1939 said:
I second the motion that these films be transfered to DVD! I must say Mike you have wonderful taste in movies and TV shows.

Why thank you! I appreciate it, and I thought of two more, more or less, in the same vein...

I sent one of the other half's voice students home last week with I Wake Up Screaming (That one is available on DVD) just because I said the studio really missed the boat by not doing more movies with Allyn Joslyn and Alan Mowbray reprising their fussy whiny feuding characters. A perfect pair for comic murder mysteries! They would've been as big or bigger than Chalders and Caldicott, the pair from The Lady Vanishes that showed up in loads of movies due to their popularity and even spawned a Britcom mentioned on another post here on the Lounge.

Another I love is Mrs. O'Malley and Mister Malone, which was to be the first of a series, but the Ma & Pa Kettle films became WAY too popular and took up too much of Marjorie Main's time. It has never been released to DVD or VHS. It shows up on Turner about once or twice a year.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Mr. Sable said:
I'd love to see "The Public Eye" (Joe Pesci/Barbara Hershey) on DVD. And Heston's "Secret of the Incas", of course.

I second the motion for "Public Eye." Only available on VHS, never DVD. For a time they offered it for download on Amazon, which I meant to do but never got around to it. Now I can no longer find it.

I also wish they'd release the 1993-95 Showtime series "Fallen Angels" on US format DVD. Season One was released on VHS (which I have, along with the companion book "Six Noir Tales Told For Television"), and Season Two was released abroad as "Perfect Crimes". But how about a complete DVD box set for the USA? Is that too much to ask?

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
The Untouchables (1990's)

I never did get to see the TV series, but watching what few I found on YouTube, I already know it's worthy of my tastes. I've looked high and low and back to front across the internet and found no such DVD's, but there's always hope that one day it'll happen.

Here's a sample of the 90's rendition of The UNTOUCHABLES.

byronic

One of the Regulars
classic movies i would like to own on disc include 'the ghost goes west', 'pimpernel smith', 'dangerous moonlight', 'tawny pipit', 'the sea shall not have them', & 'they were not divided,. i could probably list 50 or 60 more...

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
I'm waiting patiently for three:
The Big Parade
The Wind
The Crowd
The Crowd especially. I saw it once, and it left a monumental impression on me, and it slays me that I can't own it.

carter

I'll Lock Up

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
I'd like to see a remastered copy of The Big Sky (1952) on DVD. When Turner put this on video there were whole sections of the story missing, probably due to poor quality. Though I've seen the complete version since on TCM. Anyway its a great western directed by Howard Hawks, with Kirk Douglas and Dewey Martin as two backwoodsmen hired as hunters on a keel boat headed up the Missouri in the 1830's. Arthur Hunnicutt is great as the grizzled old mountain man guiding the way. The book by A.B. Guthrie is a classic too.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Nathan Dodge said:
I could kick myself for not taping Up Front & Back to the Front when American Movie Classics aired these back around 1999-2000. Aargh!

BTW, if you ever run across it, do read Bill Mauldin's excellent Back Home. A great read.

Back at the Front isn't really that good. Tom Ewell returned for his part but David Wayne didn't. If I remember right, it was set in post-war occupied Japan and just didn't have the charm of the first. I have an original edition of the book and have photocopied many of the cartoons onto old, yellowed newsprint. Everyone thinks I actually clipped these out of vintage issues of Stars and Stripes. The Brass Ring is also a good read. It details Mauldin's encounter with Patton who had many a meltdown over the truthfulness of his cartoons.

just_me

Practically Family
You Never Can Tell - Dick Powell - Tycoon leaves six million dollars to his German Shepherd King, with his secretary Ellen as trustee. King is poisoned; Ellen inherits and is the prime suspect. But King's spirit, in 'Beastatory,' thinks he knows who did it and wants the chance to prove it. He goes back to earth as Rex Shepherd, private eye, who snacks on dog kibble with his sweet-talking secretary Goldie, a former race horse.

I first saw this movie in the 60s on TV's Late Show in NYC. Couldn't remember the name, but I never forgot the movie. I'd describe it to people over the years and they'd look at me like I was nuts. I'd love to see it again and even better, I'd love to own it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ