What are your unreleased dvd wants?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Feraud, Sep 11, 2006.

1. JennyLou

JennyLou Practically Family

I have the first 10 movies from the Blondie series with Penny Singleton and Arthur Lake. I wish I could find the last 18.

2. Nathan Dodge

Nathan Dodge One Too Many

I made a boo-boo here, even though I knew this at the time of my post:

Mauldin's second Pulitzer came for a 1959 cartoon about two prisoners in a gulag and one says to the other what he did to get there, and one answers, "I won the Nobel Prize for literature." This refers to Boris Pasternak, as the Soviets refused to let him accept his award.

Anyway, looking back over this thread, some DVDs have become available, but many more have not. Hope this changes this year.

3. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

I am floored to find one of my long time DVD wants is on DVD now(or rather FINALLY available)!

[​IMG]

From the Brothers Grimm:

They are live action American interpretations of the fables by the Brothers Grimm.

I remember seeing Bearskin years ago when I was in school, and it has been the best version of the story Ive ever seen done!
    Alas the DVDs, although they have 2-3 stories on them are going for $40 each. Eek! :(

LD

4. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

The first ten, are they are on dvd? Was it a boxed set? I enjoyed many of them when they surfaced from time to time on the tv.

5. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

Wishing for release of The Last Outpost from 1935 with Cary Grant and Claude Rains. Starts off in WWI Kurdistan then ends up somewhere that looks vaguely like Africa, with one of those only-in-Hollywood coincidences that fling together two guys who love the same lady. Jarringly grainy stock footage that looks left over from Grass or Chang distracts from the otherwise glossy production values.

Local station KTLA used to run movies all night long under the banner Movies 'til Dawn. It opened with and used as "bumpers" from commercials an aerial shot of nightime LA. If you were up watching an old movie at about one in the morning and that nightime skyline came on, it was kind of cool, sort of reminding you it was the middle of the night.

But I digress... I used to set up the vcr to record the MtD selections then watch them on the weekend; that's when I first saw The Last Outpost and have looked for it ever since.

6. Nathan Dodge

Nathan Dodge One Too Many

Digression is nine-tenths the law when someone posts interesting things like your fond memories! Keep it up, and welcome to the Lounge.

I posted a list at the end of last year and so far only one of my unreleased DVD wants (Johnny Eager) has made it to DVD. I'm optimistic that a few more might find their way onto disc.

7. SamMarlowPI

SamMarlowPI One Too Many

it's probably been mentioned but Taxi! (1932)...

8. Ethan Bentley

Ethan Bentley One Too Many

The new, longer version of Metropolis which was found recently in Argentina.

9. Kermez

Kermez A-List Customer

The entire, complete A Nero Wolfe Mystery series on DVD, all in widescreen and uncut/full-length (as shown "overseas").

10. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

I checked your list and, leapin' lizards, Mr. Dodge, sir, your taste in classic cinema is top drawer! Your choice of C. K. Dexter Haven as your persona de blog exemplifies your deep affection and knowledge of the Golden Age. I must waste- er, ah, invest time, at what looks like a most excellent site...

11. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

DVDSavant has occasional reports about the various restorations of this amazing film. Perhaps now we will have the opportunity to see something approaching the original version.

Somewhere someone once said that next to big game hunting, book collecting is the most thrilling sport; we may amend this to describe the world wide hunt for lost films...

12. DanielJones

DanielJones I'll Lock Up

The Kid From Brooklyn
    Gildersleeve's Ghost

And I am still waiting for High Road to China & Lassiter.

Cheers!

Dan

13. Lincsong

Lincsong I'll Lock Up

Come Blow Your Horn

Frank Sinatra as a swinging bachelor and Tony Bill has his younger brother.

14. Warbaby

Warbaby One Too Many

Richard Attenborough's "Oh What A Lovely War" would be at the top of my list - it was never released on tape, either. Another favorite that was never released on tape or DVD was "Roadie", an obscure and very much underrated movie starring Meat Loaf.

15. Ken Russel's Bio pic of Tchaikovsky "The Music Lovers", I think it starred Richard Chamberlain

16. chanteuseCarey

chanteuseCarey Call Me a Cab

Apparently "Stars and Stripes Forever" with Clifton Webb as John Philip Sousa has never come out on DVD, I had it on my DVD wish list with Netflix for months...

17. MattStat

MattStat New in Town

Remember Wenn from AMC. The old AMC when it stood for America's Movie Classics.

18. Lusti Weather

Lusti Weather One of the Regulars

Phantom Lady! I'm currently stuck with a DVD-R that was sourced from AMC, but I guess it's better than nothing.

19. Havana Joe

Havana Joe Familiar Face

Hong Kong/Bombs Over China with Ronald Reagan!

20. Wally_Hood

Wally_Hood One Too Many

Goodnight, My Love

Made for tv movie with detective duo Richard Boone and Michael Dunn (yes, Dr. Miguelito Loveless) set in 40s Los Angeles. Victor Buono as, who else?, a Sidney Greenstreet-type. A lotta fun. I wish it were available on dvd.