Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHAT CAN THE FEDORA LOUNGE DO FOR YOU?

rumblefish

One Too Many
What has changed about you since joining the Fedora lounge? My examples I'll keep short; My new love of spectator and saddle shoes and, a new found appreciation of roses. As much as I love to talk about myself, I'm really more interested in what others have to say. It doesn't have to be something that happened immediately either. Maybe something that developed over a year or two, or more.
Maybe I missed finding a similar thread, if so I'll peruse that one.:)

Pompidou

One Too Many
It helped me refine the sort of person I'm trying to be. It gave me a sample of the good and bad of doing something different. I know what to look for in a good hat. I expanded my horizons in terms of the sorts of hats I'm willing to wear - not being embarrassed by, but rather getting a kick out of being an individual. Conversely, when I saw examples of self superiority over the average Joe, I realized I was headed in that direction myself, and was able to nip it in the bud. I realized I was happy to just be different, but didn't want to give an impression of smugness. So, I think the community did a part in making me a better person. I try to let that happen with every community - adopting the ideas I like and avoiding taking on the rest. I'm very conscious about what people perceive me as.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
I no longer poke fun at acquaintances who mention they frequent computer chat rooms, and I’ve developed and uncanny desire to purchase an awful Hawaiian shirt to wear at least once with my Fedora.

It’s also moved me to start designing some Art Deco inspired furniture, instead of just Georgian. And I think best of all, I just find visiting here a relaxing respite; a place to learn new things about the past from good folks from all around the world.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I've met new friends, I would not have met if it wasn't for Fedora Lounge.:)
I've bought new glasses thanks to advice from some of these friends.
I've read books on Battle of Britain, I only became aware of, thanks to one of these new friends.
I got myself a brand new RAF Type B flying helmet and oxygen mask thanks to the advice and guideance from some of my new friends.
And a new Irvin - not to forget.

And - the best of it all - I've met a couple of them. In the real world!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I've met, either on-line and/or in person, quite a few nice vintage folk, and have attended several solid events. In addition, my knowledge of the past, especially clothing, has increased quite a bit. I have also had to modify some pre-conceived ideas that I held about various subjects, thanks to the discussions that we have had on the Lounge. Thank you, fellow Loungers, and special thanks to John in Covina for turning me on to this site!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Excellent thread, rumblefish!

-------------

I've worn hats all my life and always have been comfortable being 'me' as far as style goes. Always liked the '40s look. Arrived here with certain good instincts but had an underdeveloped knowledge base. Essentially, I learned a LOT here about what quality IS in hats, suits, shoes, ties and on and on. Learned that good fitting clothing is possible even for my elongated frame.

Many kind mentors including Marc Chevalier, Tomasso, cookie, Widebrim, Baron Kurtz, Dinerman,... just to name a few.

I've made friends here whom I value greatly, and even had the pleasure of meeting up with some of them at TFL events. Have had and continue to have a wonderful time viewing, reading, and exchanging posts here on The Fedora Lounge - the only forum/chat thingy that I've ever joined.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
A realization that people who love vintage styles are more prevalent than I had previously thought.

That and seeing some great photos on here have inspired my style choices.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I have to agree with Spitfire and Mr Vim. I've definitely found quite a few friends that like the vintage style than I ever thought existed. I love how this community is so thriving to the point I can come here several times a day, and always find an interesting conversation going on. I like that our community is always growing, and that we have such a vast spectrum of members.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've met some great ladies with like interests in the Powder Room. Even though I have never met most of them, I still consider them good friends and would be upset if we ever parted.

I've learned that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and that's it's not the outside, but rather the carriage and the "glow" that a woman has that makes her beautiful.

I've learned how to do my hair vintage. I've learned to sew and love looking at the inspiring creations from my fellow Powder Roommates.

Dav

One Too Many
ScionPI2005 said:
The Fedora Lounge has helped my wallet lose weight. :D
I would have to second that. £500 jackets, £200 boots, £150 jeans I wouldn't have dreamed of spending like that 6 months ago.
No regrets though, love the site love the info, its awoken an interest I never knew I had.
Thank you all
Nick

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've become a much more educated consumer in the way of style; particularly in the way of hats and suits.

I've taken a keener interest in perfecting finer details; including dress, etiquette and intellectual conversation.

I've become much more resolute in settling for nothing less than quality, more so over brand, and certainly over quantity.

I've found a place where I feel normal! Sounds funny, but before the Lounge, a young man in Iowa interested in our way of life was a little odd to most people - and I felt entirely alone.

Thanks everyone, I love this place!:eusa_clap

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For me, it's simply been the experience of realizing i'm not the only person left in the world who realizes that there actually was a fully-realized popular culture before 1955 -- music, books, movies, radio, clothing, and all the rest -- despite the efforts of modern culture to obliterate or cheapen every trace of it. There aren't many of us left, in the great scheme of things, so it's worth sticking together!

What has Fedora Lounge done for me? Let's see...

1. Source of sartorial advice.
2. Assisted with research, thanks to our WWII community.
3. Given me multiple opportunities to make my own knowledge available to others, in subjects ranging from aviation/aerospace to military history to railroading to firearms.
4. Not intended purpose, but what I consider to have been most valuable to me personally: form of "Traction Therapy", helping me learn to deal with other people outside of a business context again. (One of my profs actually wrote me a prescription for Internet forums as a way to ease back from being a recluse without all the complications of face-to-face interaction.) So, in a way you've all been part of my therapy regimen, and I appreciate it.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
1. An awareness that I am not as strange or alone as I had thought, even in my generation.

2. Its given me a real education in aspects of vintage-loving that were outside my original focus when I came here.

3. I had never bought or dreamed I could wear red lipstick.

4. An appreciation that style and comfort are not locked in immortal combat and that a great deal of beauty is in carriage and finding what's right for you. I always felt irreperable. Sometimes it is comforting to know it really is the dress's fault! lol

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
What has the FL done to me? Hmmm.

I now have two more pocket-watches.

I started safety-razor wet-shaving.

I bought a waistcoat so I can wear my pocket-watches.

I have significantly expanded my collection of golden-era jazz.

Big_e

Practically Family
What the Fedora Lounge has already done for me? Helped me improve my image.
I was always the guy wearing threadbare t-shirts, sweatshirts and jeans. I went to the clinic a couple of years ago for the flu and tried to flirt with the young nurse that examined me. She kept talking to me in spanish so, not to be rude, I replied to her in spanish. As she came back with a syringe for a shot that the doctor ordered her to give, I joked, "Oh-oh! You have me trapped. I can't get away now!" After the shot, she laughed and said that my english was perfect. She said she thought I was one of those homeless dayworkers that stand at the corner looking for work since I was dressed like one! OUCH!:eusa_doh: That was worse than the shot!
That was my wake up call! Fedora Lounge came along at the right time and helped choose what to buy and wear.
Ernest

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
The gin stealing antics from Reading aside...:rolleyes:

I like to come here because there are many knowledgable people here who have helped me - the first time was with my console radio which I didn't know too much about...and recently got help with the pocket watch issue. I wouldn't know where else to go to ask these questions.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner