Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did 1910's-20's hikers/climbers brought or wore?

Dostioffsky

One of the Regulars
The first image that came to my mind, reading this topic, was this one:

ceb4e455166ade2775213b22f21bf217.jpg

And some more, since I quite fancy 10's/20's outdoors wear:

6c1414cf9f0bb3c65836b58e445f2776.jpg

1268f104b2fbedd4d93031ff59278c61.jpg

268f7512eca90f302e438556806fd17c.jpg

6981913ac2b3e55cb4869e9243e7cf7a.jpg

e591e00421eaae055e686c5ff00854c4.jpg

f31f92646e81b159877a917ee468be17.jpg

b4225183b616628102fabccaa72e2e94.jpg

That should hopefully give you some inspiration!

Attachments

• tumblr_n6tkb8hhZp1rl1t77o1_500-2.jpg
    tumblr_n6tkb8hhZp1rl1t77o1_500-2.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 427

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are several old photos of the "common man" hiking/rock climbing. There were taken by my great uncle, Briscoe Brown in August, 1928. He and some of his friends were hiking and climbing on Table Rock here in western NC. I've hiked and climbed this exact same spot many, many times (it's located only about 15 or so miles from where I live). From Briscoe's old photos, it looks like they didn't have any kind of specialized clothing or equipment, and in one photo they have what appears to be a glass jar they are using for drinking. I wonder if it's water in that jar or (more likely) moonshine.

Alistair-L

New in Town
Wonderful photographs!It seems the long socks over pants seems to be a very common method.What I will try and do is if it gets too cold I will get some long socks and gaiters.I found a ton of rucksacks,mainly military surplus.I have a pair of replica WWI German field trousers that would fit the bill for the season.

robrinay

One Too Many
This thread reminded me of a really interesting BBC radio documentary I listened to in 2005 which reported on the findings of a study which compared modern mountaineering clothing to the clothing used by Mallory and Irvine on their ill- fated Everest attempt. They later tested a set of replica clothing on Everest in 2006 concluding that the clothing would have been adequate to protect Mallory and Irvine on Everest.

Last edited:

Alistair-L

New in Town
Wonderful stuff.It'd be worth looking into since those clothing and gear is still suitable today.Right now I have a parka purchased.The Czech M85 has a good cut and looks suitable.I was lucky to find one as they're becoming scarce to find on the internet.

$T2eC16Z,!)UE9s3wDdqRBQ5Ece86yw~~60_35.JPG

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A question for our Australian friends: The Pogues' version of "Waltzing Matilda" begins with the lines,"When I was a young man I carried my pack, and I lived the free life of a Rover/ From Morey's (?) green basin to the dusty outback, I waltzed my Matilda all over." I couldn't help thinking of it when I saw the above photo of the two hikers and wondered once again if that was something very common for young Australians to do at that time. For those who've never heard it the song, which concerns the horrible events at Gallipoli during WWI, is one of the most moving songs about war ever written. The Pogues' version is a fine one.

Metatron

One Too Many
Those Czech parkas are great, lining and collar are removable, and with the waist belt it looks quite fetching. It is also relatively water-resistant.

Alistair-L

New in Town
Just the many features that made me go towards this parka.I haven't really found anything similar let alone in a good price.I would love to find me canvas or cotton breeches for the summer.Is there any vendors that sell for good quality and price?

robrinay

One Too Many
Thank you for this - I've just read that thread and it's got lots of speculative errors when compared to the research reports on the book I mentioned above 'Mallory. Myths and Mysteries'.
Lots of pictures of the expedition were taken at base camp - hence the tweed jacket confusion. They did not climb in tweeds, they wore amongst other things lightweight multi layers comprising wind proof Burberry cotton jackets, silk and wool under layers and hand knitted socks all of which behaved like modern outdoor clothing by wicking away perspiration and insulating. The clothing was not equivalent in tog rating to modern down jackets but then they hadn't planned to bivouac near the summit but rather to conquer the peak and return to camp in a fast climb. The clothings tog rating was easily high enough to permit this. The nailed boots were around half as heavy as modern high mountain boots and crampons and as the nails didn't break the felt insole they wouldn't have conducted heat away from feet and their light weight and nailed grip would have supported a fast climb. It concludes that the clothing would not have prevented their reaching the summit and providing they didn't have an accident they would have been successful. They did have an accident of course but we don't know whether the accident occurred before of after they tackled the summit?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
A question for our Australian friends: The Pogues' version of "Waltzing Matilda" begins with the lines,"When I was a young man I carried my pack, and I lived the free life of a Rover/ From Morey's (?) green basin to the dusty outback, I waltzed my Matilda all over." I couldn't help thinking of it when I saw the above photo of the two hikers and wondered once again if that was something very common for young Australians to do at that time. For those who've never heard it the song, which concerns the horrible events at Gallipoli during WWI, is one of the most moving songs about war ever written. The Pogues' version is a fine one.

This widely covered song is actually titled "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda", and was written by Eric Bogle. One version that always kills me is by Joan Baez, or her 1995 live album "Ring Them Bells".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_the_Band_Played_Waltzing_Matilda

Alistair-L

New in Town
Thank you for the photograph!This is a wonderful reference aid for summer outdoor wear.I've spotted some places with trousers like that.Left gentleman's shirt is common to find too and so his jacket.The boots I'll have to look further for.Great find that photo!

Alistair-L

New in Town
Received my Czech parka yesterday and it is a fine jacket indeed.It is by far one of the most useful and comfortable I've had.It suits all my needs and will be an important piece to my kit.I've also ordered a rucksack,mittens,and wool gaiters.All,including the parka,is ordered from Swiss-Link which has many great items it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy