Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you consider "classic"?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Naphtali said:
When defining "classic," you can rely on someone else -- for example, Citizen Kane is a classic?? -- or you can define it for yourself.

My rule is easy to apply. If I appreciate a motion picture to want to view it more than twice -- that is, I enjoy the pattern of the film, its nuances, characterizations -- it's a classic.

For me, my system yields a significantly more satisfying list of classic films.

Example: Many critics believe "Some Like It Hot" is the finest comedy. For me, that classic comedy rating goes to "The Lady Eve." Superior plot, more nuanced performances, and at least as "classic" a last line -- Positively the same dame!

Pretty subjective. So when we talk about "classic films" we should all call you up first to make sure liked it? :rolleyes: And why can't Some like it Hot and Lady Eve both be classics? It's not like a WWF title afterall.

Like architecture, classic movies can be defined by period - as Hadley H did - or by qualities (classical?) - probably the most important being it's lasting effect, either on the general public/culture or on films/filmakers themselves. I think each genre can have its own classics if you look at qualities, thus Plan 9... is a classic of it's genre (low-budget sci-fi nonesensical B-movies), but not necessarily a classic film. Godfather is a classic film.

I don't know that movies are marketed in a way that allows for classics anymore. FIlms don't really have time to find an audience, to create word of mouth, to enter the culture. They are thrown into the marketplace with a load of deafening hooplah and yanked right back out when their box office begins to dip. I don't think there are enough second run cinemas for them to matter anymore and video/dvd turns the film into one more mobile commodity that you can buy at the drugstore like toothpaste and shampoo. Are there classic shampoos?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Mustang is a "classic" in the most oblique, urbane way influenced by popularist verbiage dictum rather than well researched definitions of sanctioning bodies of automobilia. My 50 Packard is not a classic
50.jpg
A classic defines a low production quantity of an auto possessing a distinctive styling and/or performance factors and a high price when new. A 1934 Packard V-12 cabriolet is a classic. My 50 is only a vintage special interest car. Many marques including Ford or Chevrolet can never be classics no matter how old they get simply becaue their budget pricing and high mass production precludes them.[huh]

Does classic equal iconic? I should think that's the general public's view. Whether it's cars, films, furniture, or typewriters, if an object or work embodies greatness - if it's thought to be the essence of its field - then it's a classic. Billions of Monopoly sets were sold over the last 60 years. Does that diminish its status as a classic board game?

Other ubiquitous classics.
1475_photo_1_141751.jpg

lettera_32s.jpg

1024_59lespaul.jpg

I've never been a Gibson Les Paul man, but I'd have to be daft to say it's not a classic.

Regards,

Senator Jack

akaBruno

Suspended
That's a classic. It weighs a ton but, it's better than a bolt-on Fender.

Still kickin myself for selling my Les Paul double cutaway.

Bruno

Flivver

Practically Family
Twitch said:
The Mustang is a "classic" in the most oblique, urbane way influenced by popularist verbiage dictum rather than well researched definitions of sanctioning bodies of automobilia. My 50 Packard is not a classic
50.jpg
A classic defines a low production quantity of an auto possessing a distinctive styling and/or performance factors and a high price when new. A 1934 Packard V-12 cabriolet is a classic. My 50 is only a vintage special interest car. Many marques including Ford or Chevrolet can never be classics no matter how old they get simply becaue their budget pricing and high mass production precludes them.[huh]

In the old car hobby, there are many different clubs, formed around an interest in a particular kind of car. One of these is the Classic Car Club of America, founded in 1953. They issued a definition of what constitutes a classic car...as described by Twitch above. They also suggested that the classic cars covered by this definition, were only made between 1925 and 1948. They even publish an "official" list of which cars they consider to be classics.

This has caused years of hot debate in car collecting circles, because a car deemed to be a classic by the CCCA sees an increase in its value.

Recently, the CCCA has been expanding its list of acceptable classics to go beyond its original year boundries. So while the extremely limited production 1956-7 Lincoln Continental Mark II may soon be deemed a classic, the Ford Mustang never will be. Why? Because was produced in huge numbers and was never known as a paragon of quality.

But, to most people, cars like the '65 Mustang and the '57 Chevy *are* classics, no matter what the CCCA thinks.

I think this one is best left up to personal interpretation!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Right you are Flivver. The AACA- Antique Auto Club of America is alltogether alien to this CCCA's rules. They consider any car over 25 years of age elegible for inclusion into it ranks. They are simply calling them "antique" after 25 years and stay away from the classic moniker completely. Other collector organizations regarding "old things" often use 50 years as the breaking point into "antique." So...?

Of course this means that 1978 Vegas, 1982 K cars and Ford Granadas are "antiques" by their rules now. Of course this is being viewed with many jaundiced eyes through the AACA ranks. Most realize it's simply a way to keep paying membership pools available. So $$ talks.

So if we say a 1957 Chevy or 1965 Mustang are "classic" should we feel compelled to include A 1981 Dodge Aires and a 1982 Ford Tempo? This is why I like the basic CCCA definition. It also parallels Webster better-

classic 1. of the highest class; most representative of the excellence of its kind; having recognized worth. 2. in accordance with established principles of excellence in the arts and sciences.

Vox Phantom VI

Made of plywood, it doesn't stay in tune, and still considered a classic.

phan6.gif

I think I'm talking more about archetypes here than what is considered 'classic' by experts. They're basing their judgment on rarity and worth; the public, which seems to outnumber the experts, bases it on a collective consciousness. I'm not a fan of the 57 Chevy either, but again, it does seem to have become a classic embodiment of the era. The Mustang (a troublesome car, and I should know) and the GTO embodied the 60s. Indeed, it may be their ubiquity that makes them classic in the public's eye. The 60s Corvette, while a car of higher quality, seems to define the era to a lesser extent simply because there were fewer sold. Will the 'K' car soon be considered the classic vehicular embodiment of the 80s or will it be the DeLorean? I'm thinking it will be the former.

In the end, we have two versions of 'classic' here. One used by the club and one used by the public.

Regards,

Senator Jack

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Mustang may not be a classic car, but it's a classic American popular culture object. Yes, it's just a reworked Falcon (talk about all time clunkers!), but it's pretty, and it invented the "Pony Car". So classic can have a lot of different meanings, depending on the context.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
A classic film for me would be one that has withstood the test of time, has a lasting or historical significance, one that people will return to again and again whether they be fans of that movie or film buffs or students.

Many such films will show some technique for the first time, e.g., The "Odessa steps sequence" in Potemkin, the sets and designs in Metropolis or the German Expressionist films of the 20's, the special effects in King Kong.

In some films it may be the story line, the emotional impact of the film. Casablanca comes to mind.

In some, the pagentry or majesty of the film may be what has made it an enduring film, e.g., Lawrence of Arabia or Gone With the Wind.

Certain cult films could be considered classic because of the many people who view them over and over, or shout out lines in the theatre, e.g., The Rocky Horror Show.

I think an actor or actress may have such a following, that many of their films become classics mainly because of their presence, e.g., Bogart, Grant, Bette Davis, etc. Certain directors have films that become classics for that director, e.g., Ingmar Bergman, John Ford, and quite a few others.

And some films just grow on you over time and become classics, e.g., The Wizard of Oz.

These are some things that come to mind when I hear the term "it's a classic film."

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy