Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you NOT Want for Christmas?

No T-Shirts. I hate them with a passion. The only ones I wear is V-Neck white ones, as an undergarment. I don't think anybody would ever get me one, since anyone who would get me a Christmas gift knows how I feel about them.

Edward

Bartender
I'd like most of all not to be silently pitied for still being alone. It was bad enough when people used to comment, but somehow the silent pity treatment is even worse.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bath sets, scented soaps, etc. I have skin sensitivity issues to products and also some pretty serious allergies, so I can't just pick up and start using a new product every time I get one. I give a lot of them away. I really appreciate the gesture, but I'd appreciate a package of Ivory or a bar of the goat's milk soap I use more.

Also, no more weird random crap that people don't want to throw out themselves but want out of their house. I'm not cold storage people, and I will send it to goodwill. And please do not give me items that I wouldn't even take to goodwill because it is unusable or dangerous. Like clothing that is ripped or moth eaten with holes the size of golf balls. Or kitchen items that you don't want to eat out of anymore because you think it's going to poison you (like your flaking teflon pan).

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions." That being said, no more "Gifts from the heart" that involve the complete Lawrence Welk collection "Because I know you like vintage music." And Underwear... when I lived in the Philippines random people would gift me underwear for Christmas. Honestly I stopped wearing tighty whiteys when I grew out of underoos and I'm 6'2" 320lbs, size medium isn't going to cut it unless I intend to sing soprano.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Sub-par gifts for an expert. The gourmet knows cheap pans; the artist knows cheap pens. They don't like them or need them. Experts know precisely, specifically what they want in their area.

"You're an opera singer? You must adore Andrea Bocelli. Here's a CD for Christmas."
[/facepalm]

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I can't believe some of the gifts that have been given, especially the ones you listed Sheeplady :eeek: You did make me laugh though :p

Oh, I know people who have gotten worse. My husband's grandmother used to give canned food goods with the labels torn off. She'd put about 5 or 6 different variaties of un-labeled cans in a plastic shopping bag, and throw a handful of change into the bag. But, in her defense, she was probably starting to suffer from dementia at that point.

When she was younger (30 years ago) she left the labels on the can, but still threw the change in. :p

rue

Oh, I know people who have gotten worse. My husband's grandmother used to give canned food goods with the labels torn off. She'd put about 5 or 6 different variaties of un-labeled cans in a plastic shopping bag, and throw a handful of change into the bag. But, in her defense, she was probably starting to suffer from dementia at that point.

When she was younger (30 years ago) she left the labels on the can, but still threw the change in. :p

That reminds me of the aunt in Christmas Vacation that wrapped up her cat and the jello lol

Books bought at the supermarket checkout stand. I have no interest in Hairstyles of the Stars, Ancient Mayan Predictions for 2012, or The True Story Of Justin Bieber.

Just as bad are the books bought at Costco or Sam's Club. And it's almost always the people who are the hardest to buy gifts for (often because they have no real hobbies or interests) that give you these unwanted gifts.

Last edited:

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
My post isn't what I don't want for myself, but what I don't want given to my other half. When he goes back home for Christmas, his folks' neighbours invariably give him a bottle of Lynx or Adidas. Now a) first and foremost, this stuff pongs to high heaven, b) no self-respecting male above the age of 15 who has not had his sense of smell spirited away by some disease will be wearing this stuff, and c) if you feel the need to give a gift from The £ Shop, at least make it useful, like a packet of loo roll or something. I think if I can find a cheap Justin Bieber calendar, I'll get it for him to present to them (bearing in mind that they're in their 50's or 60's).

If no thought or heart or affection has gone into your gift-giving, then why bother?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
At least nobody bought me shampoo for a few years now....

:D Reminds me of back in the late '80s during military exercises when we did mock deployments. There was a checklist as to what we were required to have in our duffle bags and we'd do a "show and tell" on the flightline to prove we had everything we were supposed to have. Sure enough, the bald guys had to show their shampoo and combs because it was on the checklist! :eusa_doh: It was easier for them to do that then to argue with the inspectors who would ding the unit if they didn't have it.

Cheers,
Tom

Edward

Bartender
:D Reminds me of back in the late '80s during military exercises when we did mock deployments. There was a checklist as to what we were required to have in our duffle bags and we'd do a "show and tell" on the flightline to prove we had everything we were supposed to have. Sure enough, the bald guys had to show their shampoo and combs because it was on the checklist! :eusa_doh: It was easier for them to do that then to argue with the inspectors who would ding the unit if they didn't have it.

Cheers,
Tom

Couple of years ago at a charity burlesque night I frequent I won the hair care prize in the raffle. What really topped it off was I was genuinely the only baldy in the room.

Cricket

Practically Family
I hate to do this to my grandmother but....

no more "priceless collectibles," please. Just because it says collectible under it doesn't make it so.

And also if you are gonna give me one of those "priceless collectibles" please let it be appropriate for both my age and gender. Last year, I received a glass collectible celebrating a couple's 50th wedding anniversary.

It remains tucked away in a cabinet to grab at a moment's notice in case grandma pops in for a visit.

It does make an interesting joke prop when entertaining though.

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
Appliances. We have gotten toasters, waffle irons, and I think it was a burrito maker over the past few years. And they were all from Wal-Mart. People, use some imagination please. What will we get for next year, light bulbs and toilet paper?? :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo