Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of the Indiana Jones hats?

theinterchange

One Too Many
MY first fedora was a Stetson Indy my grandfather gave me when I was young, so I've always had a spot in my heart for Indiana Jones, and THE hat.

I got a kick out of reading through this thread, some folks hate for Indy was amusing.

Randy

filfoster

One Too Many
Indy

theinterchange said:
MY first fedora was a Stetson Indy my grandfather gave me when I was young, so I've always had a spot in my heart for Indiana Jones, and THE hat.

I got a kick out of reading through this thread, some folks hate for Indy was amusing.
Randy

This is really puzzling. These movies probably created more sparks of interest in potential fedora buyers and wearers than anything in my lifetime, except 'global warming', which has produced such abysmally cold weather here, everyone needs a hat.
I have an "Indy" in my collection, a Peters Brothers I got on eBay. It led me to assemble the whole kit and costume which was a lot of fun to track down.
By the way, I am a Peters Brothers fan-just ordered a silverbelly Indy type for wear with some lighter gray 30's suits. Very good quality, look and fairly priced so you can buy another one!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Remember urban cowboys?

A great hat is a great hat, no matter what the inspiration.

The Indy hat explosion has been good and bad for hat wearers, just as the Urban Cowboy craze a generation ago was.

You get a lot of cheap hats getting tossed about, but along the way some great new additions are also created.

Nevertheless, craftsmanship will tell, especially after a few years of wear.

filfoster

One Too Many
Nice things cost money

Sam Craig said:
A great hat is a great hat, no matter what the inspiration.

The Indy hat explosion has been good and bad for hat wearers, just as the Urban Cowboy craze a generation ago was.

You get a lot of cheap hats getting tossed about, but along the way some great new additions are also created.

Nevertheless, craftsmanship will tell, especially after a few years of wear.

Sam, you make a good point. I've seen the cheap Indy hats on many sites and some don't look hideous, just not tall enough. I can imagine they are not very durable. The better fedoras, Indy or no, aren't cheap, if they are better grades of fur felt.
I was slow to appreciate that the dark side of the Indy inspiration is that most 'ordinary citizens', whose interest in hats is minimal, attribute childish motives to those who enjoy wearing not just an "Indy" but any fedora.

Not to wander off with the thread, but I bought a Jaxon Bogart fedora this fall to wear now, in winter and it is a much nicer hat than the price tag would suggest. And, I'm not subjecting the vintage ones or the Fed IV's to a snow soaking.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
hat smart

I bought Jaxon Iconoclast for the same reason, and that is also why I got into converting western hats into fedoras ... take some strain off my originals.

It's so easy for something to happen to an older hat ... the day gets hot and you sweat too much ... whatever ... and you mess up an irreplacable hat.

I remember in college, over 30 years ago, there was a vintage clothing store in the college town where I lived and they had a huge cardboard box filled with old hats. You could buy them for next to nothing.

I still have a couple ... maybe 5 ... hats I rescued in those days. Man, I treat them great now.

I want to pass on some great old hats to a younger collector some day, the way a few have been shared with me, so they'll be appreciated for another generation or so.

If that means putting more daily wear into a converted western, I'm happy with that.[huh]

Johnny Dollar

New in Town
i bought my indiana jones hat in about 1985 from a britches great outdoors - it is a wool hat with the temple of doom imagery on the inside as others have posted. i remember there being a black model for sale also. as others have mentioned, the color, style, and quality are not the best, but i did wear it fairly regularly as a 15-year old, actually got it pretty sweat stained. i still have it, naturally. included in the following photos are photos of the program i bought at the theater when i saw temple of doom

2278790041_7ff5ffa4b2.jpg

2278789753_89443b1b70.jpg

2278789901_8a1fe50a74.jpg

2278789973_7b865b7841.jpg

KHOLD

New in Town
I have the wool stetson in black, and it is a great hat. Very soft and pliable. It has a 4 inch crown and 2 1/2 inch brim. It still is in great shape, even after all these years. I bought a brown version on eBay a couple months ago and it was cardboard stiff and a much higher crown, so I guess there must have been a couple different quality options. I also
have a blue royal stetson I purchased at the same time,that a dealer on eBay is calling the "Ark". It is my favorite hat. Perfect for me in every way. I cannot find any information on the "Ark"and if there is anything out there in todays
market to try and replace it. The "Temple" has a higher crown and dimensional brim. I have one and it is a nice hat but does not really suit me.

NivlemRulz

New in Town
I take a different approach if anyone compares me to Indy when wearing my Fed IV. I go with the "bore them with knowledge" method. I say thanks and then take the hat off and explain how the hat was made in the same dimensions as the one wore in the films. I then explain how I bashed it to look like the Last Crusade hat. Then start to explain the differences in the hats in each movie. This either makes them bored and they walk away. Or they are really interested and I figure I helped them. Sometimes if I'm in a bad mood I brag/lie and say this is the exact same hat model etc... that was worn in the movie. haha I know its a lie, but its still funny.

As for wearing a big hat. It took getting used to (I'm 5'8 130lbs). I like the way it looks now that I am comfortable in it. But it took a lot of getting used to. I think like a lot of people have said, once you feel comfortable in it, it starts to look better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy