What do you wear for rain wear? Shoes and jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by belopsky, Oct 15, 2020.

1. belopsky

belopsky One of the Regulars

What do you wear on the feet? Over the jacket? Umbrella? :)

2. Mich486

Mich486 One Too Many

Leather shoes/boots and yes if it rains an umbrella for me I don’t like getting wet especially when it’s cold outside (unless I’m doing any sport of course).

3. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

Exactly the same as what I usually wear.
    If it rains heavily, an umbrella is added.
    Rain jacket or dry suit when doing sports.

4. Monitor

Monitor

If it's raining real heavy, I'll wear my Schott 943 nylon jacket and my first (and crummiest) engineer boots. Otherwise, same as always with an umbrella. Tho nowadays, I've started wearing a Lee Storm Rider over that Schott Perfecto leather vest I made if it's raining.

I try not to get my leather jackets soaked. Takes forever for them to dry up.

5. Cornelius

Cornelius One of the Regulars

Personally I dislike umbrellas, as I'm of a height - 6'2"/187cm - where on rainy city streets I constantly have to dodge the ribs of other's umbrellas lest I lose an eye.

I have a waxed cotton hooded raincoat made by Filson (a model no longer offered since their latest revamp) which works surprisingly well, and breathes a bit better than synthetics. Found it new on a discount rack at an Army Surplus store here. Large enough to fit over another jacket if need be. I make a point every summer of taking a lazy hot Sunday to re-wax it and set it out in the sun for the day, adding more wax as the fabric soaks it up. Minor annual maintenance for something that's worked well for five or six years now.

As for shoes, I normally wear leather boots treated with Obenauf's. Work fine for most inclement weather. If a truly muddy day is on the horizon, I'll wear those "Maine Hunting Shoes" from L.L. Bean (which also get an annual treatment).

Carlos840 and handymike like this.
  6. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

+1 to that, i am the same height and i HATE umbrellas for the same reason, if i am ever king of the world my first decision in power would be to destroy all of them and make their production illegal and punishable!

I also don't really believe in dressing differently for the weather, i like to always be ready for things...
    I wear engineer boots and leather jacket everyday of the week, they can deal with rain.

It's actually raining now, i am about to go for a walk, this is what i'll wear:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And IH 634 jeans.

7. JMax

JMax My Mail is Forwarded Here

I normally don’t change my regular attire, even when riding when I know it will rain. Most of my leather jackets handle the rain very well. If my jeans get soaked, so be it. The ride will dry them up. And I have no issue going into my riding stops wet, they all get a chuckle out of it. It’s only water right?

8. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Rain? What rain? I don’t think it’s rained here since March.

9. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

in my backwater city, when its raining hard outside, we stay inside, not only there is almost no sidewalk where I live, risking myself to misstep and fall into potholes or gutter when everything is covered with 10cm brown dirty flooding rain water, and also every matic scooter will splash me with dirty water as they afraid the flooding water to get into their exhaust pipe if not speeding through it.

when its drizzling I wear rubber soled boots , and clothes I plan to wash, leather jacket outerwear, and a cap to keep the rain off my glasses, I never carry umbrella

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Mrfrown, Cornelius, Zoo and 1 other person like this.
  10. Seank

Seank One of the Regulars

Depends on what type of rain. In Seattle when the rain begins it doesn’t stop...for months. No one uses an umbrella unless they’re tourists. If I know I’m gonna be exposed for a lengthy amount of time I’ll grab my mountaineering Arcteryx gore-Tex shell Jacket. If I’m just running errands and will be in an out of it quickly any jacket (leather, down puffy..whatever) will do. Don’t mind getting wet for just a min or so. Shoes...leather boots. Always boots.

11. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Waxed cotton drovers coat by Drizabone here and cut down wellington boots...

12. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Same clothes add umbrella. I like umbrellas (but only well made ones) as they usually make other rain gear unnecessary.

13. Nobert

Nobert Practically Family

A raincoat, oddly enough.

JustinW and Mrfrown like this.
  14. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

Chukka or packer boots with a rubber sole for footwear. CXL jacket for light to moderate rain (though it's withstood heavy rain no problem too) and a cap. Otherwise a trench coat for heavy rain with Akubra on top:
    Snapseed.jpg IMG_3164.JPG IMG_3419.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg

15. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

If it's raining hard I wear my Filson "Tin Cloth" Chore Coat and either my Akubra or XXX Beaver Montana Peak hat.

Worf

Cornelius and Zoo like this.
  16. JustinW

JustinW One of the Regulars

Barbour Beaufort:

32ABF301-76F5-443E-BE55-D7F3349A2816.jpeg

Imuricecreamman, handymike and JMax like this.
  17. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

On my feet goes my Carolina logger boots, but on my back depends on the heat. Warmer weather usually means either my baseball windbreaker jacket, or an umbrella if the heat would make it too unbearable. Otherwise it's my LL Bean A2, which adequately blocks wind and rain. On my head depends on the expected intensity of the wind.

18. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

Drizabone 3/4 coat for me, which I got on my trip to Oz. GoreTex-lined boots. Hate umbrellas, will only use if there is a torrential rain and I have to make a dash to a store or something. I would not wear leather in a steady, heavy rain.

JustinW likes this.
  19. phelan77

phelan77 New in Town

Goretex nubuck sneakers and my trusty Canali 3/4 coat made of Lori Piana rain system cloth.

20. B-Man22

B-Man22 New in Town

Baseball hat, A2 Jacket treated one time with waterproofing Pecards, and roughout repro US Army boots that have been daubed with waterproofing like snow seal, with jeans. Just about the time I get all this stuff on..........the rain stopso_O