Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What does one wear with a leather jacket?

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
The general public is obviously not the best guide in such matters, but the only leather I have seen lately is on bikers, and the only other reference that comes to my mind is aircrew.

What do you typically wear with your flight jackets, bomber jackets, or other leather? I'd love to hear your descriptions or look at photos.

Feraud

Bartender
You can wear almost anything with an a2 and look good. I typically wear khakis, button down dark flannel or cotton shirts, fedora, or newsie style caps look great.
I also wear my a2 to work with a shirt, tie, and fedora.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Casual.

At least what I myself consider casual wear. Jeans, or other non-dress type trousers, the shirt and or sweater of your choice, as long as it does not hang out under the waist band of your A2! :eek: Shorts would look silly to me if the weather is cool enough to justify wearing a leather jacket. :eek: But fashion mistakes such as this are encouraged nowadays, and so this is why I like the past so much. :D I suppose a shirt and tie sort of look,...uhmm, what is known now as "business casual" attire would look ok too.
I would never under any circumstances wear a suit and tie under my leathers,...but that's just me. :rolleyes:

Feraud

Bartender
Here is my version of "business casual". ;)

THE_NATURAL_SPECIAL_EDITION-232.jpg

THE_NATURAL_SPECIAL_EDITION-226.jpg

Not an A2 but you get the picture.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Not my thing, but to each his own. I just can't wear a tie unless I am in the full dress suit mode.
"Business" and "Casual" are two completely different concepts to my old fashioned brain, so I can not mix the two together comfortably. :eek:
In fact I am being pressured into going to a wedding luncheon thing soon which I really feel wrong about attending, that requires the so-called business casual look! :eusa_doh:
I am in a quandary here. In the unlikely event that I do in fact attend this fiasco of a wedding thing, I will dress to the nines, as is my way for such events, regardless of the motives of the participants. [huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Maj.Nick Danger said:

In the unlikely event that I do in fact attend this fiasco of a wedding thing, I will dress to the nines, as is my way for such events, regardless of the motives of the participants. [huh]
Best just not to attend, as over-dressing is just as bad as under-dressing.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Best just not to attend, as over-dressing is just as bad as under-dressing.

Perhaps you're right,...:( and there is still time. Perhaps the whole thing will get called off.

(Sorry, I am way---> :eek:fftopic: Back to our regularly scheduled program.)

Doug C

Practically Family
My opinion for what it's worth is that Ties with a leather jacket looks terrific..though I never do it, just never have the occasion. It's a yen/yang thing where the juxt-o-position complements each other. Most often old black/white pics of leather jackets are being worn over ties, especially military ones. Also, I think a baggier pant makes for a better choice than tighter pants, ususally jeans - though I do that too. Really I think back in the old days the idea was to be dressy and use the leather jacket to balance out the outfit. Oh, another thing..I find it easier to wear a dressier shoe or laced boot with a leather jacket than sneakers, again JMHO.

Doug C

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Doug C said:
I find it easier to wear a dressier shoe or laced boot with a leather jacket than sneakers, again JMHO.

That makes sense to me; I've never liked the feel of sneakers much, and haven't worn them since middle school.

I don't think I would have thought to pair a leather jacket with a tie. I may have to try that someday. I work in a school, and to my knowledge I'm the only one that wears a tie every day.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My favorite looks with flight jackets are a denim shirt and felt hat, or turtleneck shirt/sweater and newsie cap. I'll add a heavy wool Filson vest if in need of extra warmth. Pants typically are moleskins or widewale corduroys (jeans OK too if not wearing the denim shirt), shoes, brown walking brogues.

I don't generally wear dressy clothes with my jackets - I find that look hard to carry off.

Jay

Practically Family
Fletch said:
...Pants typically are moleskins or widewale corduroys...

I can't remember...what are moleskin pants made from? Hopefully not those little notebooks. And where does one find a pair?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Moleskin (no final e) has no animal constituents, but is a heavy cotton brushed to a velvety napped finish. It's like the next stop on the road to corduroy - warm, durable and easier to dress up than cord. Pants and vests are the big articles made from it.

Traditionally it's a staple part of British country dress. In the states, your outdoorsy-elegant retailers, such as Orvis, would be most likely to do moleskins. I got a (black) pair from Brooks Bros several years ago. Brooks also do a brushed twill, which is lighter weight but still a fall material.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Feng_Li said:
The general public is obviously not the best guide in such matters, but the only leather I have seen lately is on bikers, and the only other reference that comes to my mind is aircrew.

What do you typically wear with your flight jackets, bomber jackets, or other leather? I'd love to hear your descriptions or look at photos.

Dscn3648.jpg

DSCN3630.jpg

Khakis. Or, with a G-1, sometimes jeans.

Atticus

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
A leather jacket is one of those things which either looks really good, or really bad. There is not much room in-between, for some reason.

The leather jacket with tie look can be great, I would say aim for the "rumpled" look with it. A more casual tie, shirt, not tied too tight or the shirt too well pressed.

Leather jackets also seem to benefit of being broken in. A new leather jacket is a little odd looking, in my humble opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred