Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
At this time, I’m afraid we’re lacking in the Mexicans or Italians department in this area of the deep, dark, damp swamp where I live in southern Georgia, so I’ll just have to go with the phonic version which sounds like:
Gore-us-goo? [emoji38]
Oh well, maybe I can’t say it , but I’d sure wear it proudly on my head if I could find one on the Bay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was a Georgia boy for about 6 years. Loved Georgia.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
At this time, I’m afraid we’re lacking in the Mexicans or Italians department in this area of the deep, dark, damp swamp where I live in southern Georgia, so I’ll just have to go with the phonic version which sounds like:
Gore-us-goo? [emoji38]
Oh well, maybe I can’t say it , but I’d sure wear it proudly on my head if I could find one on the Bay!

Gor ass goo

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Gore-us-goo? [emoji38]

Hmm... Okefenokee, huh?
Your neighbor Poggo Possum would know. Or Howland Owl. Albert and Churchy can barely speak English, so no.

RBH

Bartender
49301354656_efe6ed8678_c.jpg

Michael.. perfect...just as I knew it would be!
So glad it fit and so very happy you like it!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Hmm... Okefenokee, huh?
Your neighbor Poggo Possum would know. Or Howland Owl. Albert and Churchy can barely speak English, so no.

I think my neighbor shot Pogo years ago for robbing chicken eggs from his hen house!
Howland’s somewhere about, as I still hear him every other night.

Thanks for your help on the name, Max.
Although, I would’ve thought the sound of word should have more pizzazz to match the panache of the hat. [emoji57]

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I think my neighbor shot Pogo years ago for robbing chicken eggs from his hen house!
Howland’s somewhere about, as I still hear him every other night.

Thanks for your help on the name, Max.
Although, I would’ve thought the sound of word should have more pizzazz to match the panache of the hat. [emoji57]

It sounds better in italiano.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Winds are so strong this nearly blew across the prairie, or at least the parking lot. Optimo Manhattan.
1364bf8f889f1103361c84d6164f0c0b.jpg

Tomorrow I’m playing music at a 1920s themed party at a brewery. Anyone have any good suggestions for clothes to accompany a nice homburg or vintage bowler?

Jeff; Sounds like a fun gig. Suggestions from the cheap seats: High waisted dress slacks, white shirt, bold belly warmer (vintage tie) w/clip, coat w/lapel pin and spectator shoes. Probably could get away with hanging the coat on the back of your chair and performing in a waistcoat.

Last minute edit: How about a clip on black or bold bow tie?

Cheers early, Eric -

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
Jeff; Sounds like a fun gig. Suggestions from the cheap seats: High waisted dress slacks, white shirt, bold belly warmer (vintage tie) w/clip, coat w/lapel pin and spectator shoes. Probably could get away with hanging the coat on the back of your chair and performing in a waistcoat.

Cheers early, Eric -

All good suggestions SBG. And most definitely go with a bow tie!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up

Cheers early, Eric -

Great suggestions! Now I have to figure out what half of those things are. I do have a couple of vests (is that the same as a waistcoat?), lots of ties, and a few self tie bow ties. Is clip-on important? I’m rather lacking in the slacks department since I either wear jeans or a tux most of the time. I suppose I have a couple.
I’ve been looking up vintage photos , and now I’ll look up spectator shoes!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Great suggestions! Now I have to figure out what half of those things are. I do have a couple of vests (is that the same as a waistcoat?), lots of ties, and a few self tie bow ties. Is clip-on important? I’m rather lacking in the slacks department since I either wear jeans or a tux most of the time. I suppose I have a couple.
I’ve been looking up vintage photos , and now I’ll look up spectator shoes!

Waistcoat = vest (thinking of something more akin to the vest of a 3 piece suit)

Bow tie - Clip on so that when you get to cranking the swing tunes the clipped tie can hang jauntly from one side of the shirt collar. I suppose a tie bowtie could do similar.

Dark slacks work!

Specs - 2 types of leather or two color hues or combos.

i-rqjMHxV-M.jpg

i-NVk6ffx-M.jpg

i-ftVpb45-M.jpg

I googled up some 20's pics of bands and many seem to be uniformly in dark suits.

Eric -

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Waistcoat = vest (thinking of something more akin to the vest of a 3 piece suit)

Bow tie - Clip on so that when you get to cranking the swing tunes the clipped tie can hang jauntly from one side of the shirt collar. I suppose a tie bowtie could do similar.

Dark slacks work!

Specs - 2 types of leather or two color hues or combos.

i-rqjMHxV-M.jpg

i-NVk6ffx-M.jpg

i-ftVpb45-M.jpg

I googled up some 20's pics of bands and many seem to be uniformly in dark suits.

Eric -

Eric, those shoes are killer! I think I have one pair that might fit the bill. Whether they will match the rest of the ensemble is questionable. I like the clip-on rationale. That could definitely happen once we start burnin’.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Eric, those shoes are killer! I think I have one pair that might fit the bill. Whether they will match the rest of the ensemble is questionable. I like the clip-on rationale. That could definitely happen once we start burnin’.

Thanks.

You are in a different league, but when the 20-40's jazz/blues acoustic guitar music starts hopping, the bow tie is an easier wear than a tie or a tie bow tie for me. Plus it fits into a shirt pocket when I am standing at a mic with no free hand and no place to reach for.

All my "assistance" and I am recognizing that I am applying southern blues/country jazz that I am familiar with in the 20's. New Orleans like style. Your music, as I understand tends to be of a different region and genre. Hep cats can dress to draw attention, not be part of a group. I play with a bud, but we ere on the part of dressing more alike. Note: I am a passionate rookie and my buddy does lots more paying gigs. He is the pro and I am a "side-man."

Last edited:

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
This hat came to me sans sweatband. Only ID is on the liner as Royal Beaver Custom Made "20". I worked today on reblocking and flanging it and sewing in a new used sweatband.
IMG_0158 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_0157 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I shrank a size or so out of it, too, and now it's a nice snug fit.
IMG_0144 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Also wearing a new to me Pendleton jacket that was a lovely holiday gift from RBH
IMG_0155 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_0152 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a good evening all,
Michael

Great job on the refurb ! I did a quick search for ‘Royal Beaver Custom Made 20’ just to see, and nothing came up. Might have to remain a mystery hat, but looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy