Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
Friday, the Ramenzoni Solis
83654632_3922016994499443_8207318405393416192_o.jpg

The Shoe

One Too Many
You wear it with the right attitude. Looks good and nice pics. And I'm sure more hats will find their way to you once you start hanging around the lounge and get a dose of the Hat Acquisition Syndrome.
Thanks. Although I said it’s a bit intimidating, it’s a great site...everyone is so generous in their comments. Not a trace of negativity. And I’m already catching HAS. I’ve got a Panizza on the way and I’m headed to Australia later this month so I hope to pick up an Akubra. The Hornskov & Agnoulita hats that I learned about on here look tempting, too.

Last edited:
Sun came out so sitting out on the patio watching the migrant birds and listening to music in the fairly new to me Dunlap Fifteen. I still can’t figure out what color it is, bit Man, I love this hat. Wonderful moldable clay like felt. I think it might be the Moss Green some people have posted, but it looks different in every light. Tried to get a picture in the Sun, but too much shade around the house with all the trees:

View attachment 210233

View attachment 210234

View attachment 210235

View attachment 210236
Very cool, Tim. Great shape on that hat.

Envy is one of the seven deadly sins, but for this one I'll take my chances. Fantastic, Greg.

Received it today and took it to dinner:) Stetson Fortune and Glory.
View attachment 210263 View attachment 210264 View attachment 210265
Nice catch, Héctor.

Wow, you guys have been bringing your A hat game today. Great hats all around, and I am glad to see Steve's pinup shot. Wasted time all day. I did not get anything accomplished I set out to do, but I did have fun. Decided to wear an old dimensional brim Stetson today.
View attachment 210275 View attachment 210276 View attachment 210278
Very nice, Reggie.
Gastropub date night with a Stetson Royal DeLuxe:
View attachment 210282

...and the wife.
Was she looking perhaps when you added that line? Great hat, Jonathan.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank y
That is a magnificent hat, Steve. Congrats. Mallory sure made a fine hat. My theory is that the different feel of the European and American hats has not so much to do with the felt, but more with the amount of shellac used to let them keep their shape. The American hats, I find, have more shellac in them in general than European ones. That could also be the reason why the American hatters developed the "oval" distinction (regular oval, long oval, etc), which the Europeans never did. That distinction makes sense if a hat is more stiff and doesn't readily take on the shape of ones head.

Thank you, Stefan. I'm really enjoying my first Mallory.
I think your theory has great merit to it btw.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Good to know you have your priorities in correct order.
Bet it’s the cheaper date, as well.
(Don’t tell her I said that.)
Nice lid! Can’t beat the Royal look of them Deluxe gills.
I dunno, she's pretty low maintenance. These vintage hats, on the other hand, can be a bit temperamental sometimes.

Was she looking perhaps when you added that line? Great hat, Jonathan.
She had already fallen asleep next to me on the couch. I didn't have to spend the rest of the night there.

A Cavanagh western 100? Wow.
Didn’t know they were in existence. Nice!

Thanks, Randall. This is the only one like this I’ve seen posted. Seems they may have been set up to compete with the OR style 100’s. Very much a dress weight felt. I posted more details on it when I’d did a side by side comparison with my Stetson 100.

Wow Greg, no words for that one !!

Thank you.

I like the first shot. What was the name of the young lady who only posted her hat and eyes?

Thanks, Jim. After I saw the pic I thought the same thing. Was it Celia?

Envy is one of the seven deadly sins, but for this one I'll take my chances. Fantastic, Greg.

Thanks, Stefan. I think that’s a sin most of us around here have committed.

That is a magnificent hat, Steve. Congrats. Mallory sure made a fine hat. My theory is that the different feel of the European and American hats has not so much to do with the felt, but more with the amount of shellac used to let them keep their shape. The American hats, I find, have more shellac in them in general than European ones. That could also be the reason why the American hatters developed the "oval" distinction (regular oval, long oval, etc), which the Europeans never did. That distinction makes sense if a hat is more stiff and doesn't readily take on the shape of ones head.

My experience with European hats is limited, so I can't comment on shellac, but I think some of the differences may also come from such things as quality of the water used in felting, as well as the inherent features of the local fur supply. Heck, the hare's, or beaver's diet may even play a part in the subtle differences in the felt.

PRobably just the engineer in me overthinking things, though.

There's something about an brown hat with a black ribbon that just works. Good one, Jim.

Thank you, Stefan. Nice "Fu" today!

Thanks, Jim. After I saw the pic I thought the same thing. Was it Celia?

That's it!

We need more women on this board, but they never seem to stick around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner