Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

View attachment 211703 View attachment 211702

Here’s my Stetson Homburg-fedora conversion . Finished it yesterday. I liked it as a homburg, but I amassed three black homburgs recently (two Borsalinos) that looked exactly alike. One of them had to change. The Stetson was the better candidate.
I removed and reused the brim binding so it wouldn’t pucker underneath in the conversion process.
Hand sewing small stitches ain’t fun, but it turned out nice. Where the binding only covered an 1/8 “ on top and over a 1/2 on bottom, now it covers a 1/4” on both sides. I love how it turned out! It may now even compete in my top five picks.

Nice work, Randall!! I’ll bet it takes nerves of steel to do those tiny stitches all the way around. Top shelf, I say!!!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Wearing my refurbished 3X Resistol Western that I did some time ago, and sporting a new ribbon and bow work...I have more in the 'Western Anyone' thread
Montana-Resistol-1-A.jpg

Montana-Resistol-2-A.jpg

Montana-Resistol-3-A.jpg

Some Western tunes from 'Buster Scruggs'! (Tim Blake Nelson)

Marty Robbins live with his version

Last edited:

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Nice work, Randall!! I’ll bet it takes nerves of steel to do those tiny stitches all the way around. Top shelf, I say!!!
Thanks, @Blare and hatsRme!
The stitches aren’t completely uniform, but close enough for me. This being only my second attempt at brim stitching, maybe I’ll get better at it when I attempt to sew fresh silver binding to a really sweet dove gray Wormser. Unfortunately, the silver binding I purchased is a little too silver and in need of tinting, so I will be put off for a while till I get the shade problem rectified.
Your Stylepark looks Awesome, btw.
Great hats, right?

The most unfortunate thing is no matter how experienced a rider you are today the other drivers on the road take it away from you. A friend of ours who is a VERY experienced and safe rider of nearly 50 Years... a cross country rider... was returning from the convenience store to his camp ground at bike week. Got smashed by a car that blew a stop sign and broke almost every bone in his body. He was extremely lucky to survive and recover... and he decided his riding days were behind him.

Exactly. And a collision that is very survivable in a car or truck often isn’t on a bike. I think a lot of middle-aged men change from “live free or die” to “live long and healthy.”
Age old debate, but I just choose not to live life scared. You could say the same about people that skydive, mountain climb, race cars....
Age old debate, but I just choose not to live life scared. You could say the same about people that skydive, mountain climb, race cars....

Or juggle chainsaws, play Russia Roulette, or any number of dangerous things. We all have a level of risk we are willing to accept and we all have a self preservation instinct that keeps us from exceeding those limits. I’m all for personal freedoms, but when I do the risk vs gain analysis in my head I personally chose to not ride. I have no issue with those who chose otherwise.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Wearing my refurbished 3X Resistol Western that I did some time ago, and sporting a new ribbon and bow work...I have more in the 'Western Anyone' thread
Montana-Resistol-1-A.jpg

Montana-Resistol-2-A.jpg

Montana-Resistol-3-A.jpg

Some Western tunes from 'Buster Scruggs'! (Tim Blake Nelson)

Marty Robbins live with his version
Great look, T Jones! Makes me crave a Marlboro and I don’t even smoke.
Good refurb, too! Later on, I’ll be sending you a PM that will be asking for a few tips about sewing edge binding, if that’s okay with you.
I’ve noticed that your hand sewn stitching is near flawless.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
A little catch-up.
Borsalino nutria dattero
View attachment 211554

Borsalino Gorasgu
View attachment 211555

Knox Twenty
View attachment 211556
Beautiful Knox, but that Gorasgu....
Oh, man!! You know I like it, best.
As a matter of fact, that particular smile on your face is telling me: “Hey, Randall, I know you want one, but too sad, too bad!” LOL!
Just kidding. Three more great ones.
I’ve got one on its way that might fill the bill on my dream hat. Maybe.
A Hanover Square lookalike. I hope it fits and is all it looked to be in the sellers pics.

SteveFord

A-List Customer
We all go sometime and yes, I was very lucky to have made it out alive from that one. From where I blacked out (turning around to try and get back home) to where I wound up was a mile so it was miss rush hour morning traffic, jump a 6' ditch, plow through a corn field, went through a pair of big trees and the bike stalled in an erosion gully atop a hill right in front of a chain link fence with barbed wire on the top.
I woke up as it was pitching me off, I woke up again with gas smell everywhere, crawled away from the bike but the gas smell was on me, waiting to see what was going to happen next and when nothing did I crawled back to the bike, got the cell phone out of the top box and called 911 to come haul me away.
It's just astonishing and the next day I was out of the hospital with a stent and the day after that I rode a bike out to the tow company so they could follow me home with the crashed one.
Too ornery to croak, I guess.

I've been looking at that Stetson Bat Masterson model for a bit. I always thought that was pretty cool.
Does that have stiff felt crown like their current homburg or is it a soft felt? I have their current homburg but it doesn't feel like it fits quite right.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
We all go sometime and yes, I was very lucky to have made it out alive from that one. From where I blacked out (turning around to try and get back home) to where I wound up was a mile so it was miss rush hour morning traffic, jump a 6' ditch, plow through a corn field, went through a pair of big trees and the bike stalled in an erosion gully atop a hill right in front of a chain link fence with barbed wire on the top.
I woke up as it was pitching me off, I woke up again with gas smell everywhere, crawled away from the bike but the gas smell was on me, waiting to see what was going to happen next and when nothing did I crawled back to the bike, got the cell phone out of the top box and called 911 to come haul me away.
It's just astonishing and the next day I was out of the hospital with a stent and the day after that I rode a bike out to the tow company so they could follow me home with the crashed one.

I've been looking at that Stetson Bat Masterson model for a bit. I always thought that was pretty cool.
Does that have stiff felt crown like their current homburg or is it a soft felt? I have their current homburg but it doesn't feel like it fits quite right.
Harrowing story, Steve. Glad it worked out in favor of a longer life.
As one who has escaped death on a bike, too, my hat’s off to you, dude.

I bought mine used and it’s an older hat that’s fur felt. The current are wool and part of the buffalo line. It’s really just a wide brim homburg. My felt hat is on the firm side, but it’s nowhere near as firm as say 7X western felt. I don’t have a modern Stetson to compare it to.

I also really like the Sheridan, but it too is buffalo wool so I’ve passed on it.

Last edited:

SteveFord

A-List Customer
Please, a gentleman without a hat is something that's simply not done, ha, ha.
That giant Triumph Tiger gets so much of the credit. Both mirrors got ripped off (found one of them), the windshield and mounts were gone, one headlight was full of corn kernels and turn signals got destroyed and some "burn" marks on the bodywork, the hand guard and frame bobbins got a little chewed up and the right rear passenger mount got pushed in a bit.
That bike protected me and the long travel suspension just did it's thing. A sport bike would have probably just turfed me right off and that would have been the end of that.
My wife kindly pointed out (with an evil laugh) that they would have located me by the circling vultures...

And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Stents are great!!
Getting there is not!
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21