Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Ran to the hardware store and this grab-and-go Stetson was my choice on a hot afternoon.

View attachment 234438 View attachment 234439
Great looking crown on that Stetson Brent. The bandit look is really catching on. You are such a trend setter!

Well Dressed Head hand woven Thai hemp cap with a Malaysian batik cloth face mask down the hill and along the coastal path on my daily Masked Corona Crawl today. The hemp cap is really just the thing for a windy day in the low 80s F.
The trades whip up the surf and things were quite choppy as I swam out well past the breakers, and still I had to pay attention for an odd breaking wave coming out of nowhere. Not too many bruddahs drove da pickup to da beach to surf today. Conditions were not good, and I hope some are back at work as we open up a bit from Stay
At Home, and transition to Safer At Home. The beaches are still only open for water exercise, but there are rarely big crowds at my local beach on this neighbor island, and these days it is deserted.
View attachment 234444
View attachment 234445
View attachment 234446
View attachment 234447
View attachment 234448
Great look, love the material on that cap. I just sit back and take your images in, kind of a mini-vacation in my head.

Nice wide pinch on that crown Perry. The felt looks so yummy!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday afternoon was cap time!

i-3CWVC2G-M.jpg

Be safe, be strong and see you on the streets soon, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Must be a little windy in your parts, it blew your hat off into the shrubbery! From what I see, I really love it.

Thanks sir. Even I am tired of seeing my mug in hat/cap pics. Not to mention Spring is actually here and the flora and fauna is more interesting to showcase by miles.

Stay safe and it is really nice to see and read your posts Mike.

Day 12 of 31 Hat Parade: Today will be my first Doctor appointment in the 'Rona Epoch. It will be by video over my phone since their office is still closed. Kind of makes the whole "turn your head and cough" thing kind of awkward I guess! What hat to wear? How about something a little different...a FEZ. Kind of a lounge hat. I did find some interesting information online "The origins of the fez, called the "tarboosh" by the Moroccans, are in dispute. Some claim that its origins are ancient Greece; others claim it comes from the Balkans. The wide acceptance of the fez stems from the Ottoman Empire extending its influence (never to Morocco however) in the early 19th Century". This Fez was a gift from my friend Stefan from the Netherlands a while back. It is an inexpensive "tourist" offering. Some are quite well made and very high end. The funny images are how I see myself in these weird times.

16Jan18 Fez.jpg
20Jan18 Fez.jpg
20Jan18 Fez inside.jpg
mehmed-talaat-pasha-shutterstock-editorial-9851176a.jpg
Smoking Hat 2.jpg

dixharp

New in Town
IMG_20200512_145309.jpg
IMG_20200512_145259.jpg

I bought this hat about ten years ago in a vintage shop in Covent Garden, London. It has no labels so I have no idea where it's from, though the shopowner told me she brought it back from a buying trip to the USA. The felt is lovely and soft, though I've only recently rescued the brim from its floppy state thanks to a YouTube vid by Kevin of JJ Hat Center in NYC.
IMG_20200512_143559.jpg
IMG_20200512_143607.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 234479 View attachment 234480

I bought this hat about ten years ago in a vintage shop in Covent Garden, London. It has no labels so I have no idea where it's from, though the shopowner told me she brought it back from a buying trip to the USA. The felt is lovely and soft, though I've only recently rescued the brim from its floppy state thanks to a YouTube vid View attachment 234482 View attachment 234480 View attachment 234483 View attachment 234483 by Kevin of JJ Hat Center in NYC.
Looks so comfy! That hat ribbon looks like it wants to creep up, it may need a stitch to keep it neatly in place. Cool hat, unknown origins notwithstanding.

dixharp

New in Town
Day 12 of 31 Hat Parade: Today will be my first Doctor appointment in the 'Rona Epoch. It will be by video over my phone since their office is still closed. Kind of makes the whole "turn your head and cough" thing kind of awkward I guess! What hat to wear? How about something a little different...a FEZ. Kind of a lounge hat. I did find some interesting information online "The origins of the fez, called the "tarboosh" by the Moroccans, are in dispute. Some claim that its origins are ancient Greece; others claim it comes from the Balkans. The wide acceptance of the fez stems from the Ottoman Empire extending its influence (never to Morocco however) in the early 19th Century". This Fez was a gift from my friend Stefan from the Netherlands a while back. It is an inexpensive "tourist" offering. Some are quite well made and very high end. The funny images are how I see myself in these weird times.

View attachment 234474 View attachment 234475 View attachment 234476 View attachment 234477 View attachment 234478

Nice! As my old dad used to say: "Fez any more of those I'll have one."

dixharp

New in Town
Looks so comfy! That hat ribbon looks like it wants to creep up, it may need a stitch to keep it neatly in place. Cool hat, unknown origins notwithstanding.

There are two stitches, to the right and left of the front middle, about 4 inches apart. So it won't lift any further than that.

View attachment 234479 View attachment 234480

I bought this hat about ten years ago in a vintage shop in Covent Garden, London. It has no labels so I have no idea where it's from, though the shopowner told me she brought it back from a buying trip to the USA. The felt is lovely and soft, though I've only recently rescued the brim from its floppy state thanks to a YouTube vid by Kevin of JJ Hat Center in NYC.
View attachment 234482 View attachment 234483
That grosgrain sweatband is similar to those on some of the Borsalino “pocket/coffin” hats

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Wow! What is your opinion about European velour hats vs anything put out by the US? Both currently (1960-present) and the golden era of the 30s and 40s. I value your wisdom. Love the Rockel brochure, truly a gift to us all during the 'Rona Times.
Mike, Thank you! I don't have any 1920s and older) American Velours but looking at photos I don't think they were on the same level as the finest Austrian/Czechoslovakian and German Velours. In reality there was only one Czechoslovakian Velour maker and that was Janyška, formed mid 1920s. All the others (JHS, AP, BB) in Czechoslovakia were Austrian owned (Neutitschein/Nový Jičín was part of Austria up to WWI) up to WWII. I don't have any French Velours but probably their finest were also on a higher level but not as high a level as the finest Austrian/Czech and German Velours. The Italians were mostly WWII era and later. As you move into the 1930s the Americans stop making Velour because they became less popular and they couldn't match what was coming out of Austria/Czechoslovakia (they were the major importing countries). I am not aware of any American company making Velour in the 1960s or later. Today I am only aware of Tonak (Czechia), FEPSA (Portugal) and PolkaP (Poland). There might be some others like Khust Felt Wears in Ukraine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21