Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Someone gave me a vintage thin ribbon Borsa that needed a lot of TLC....it was in pretty rough shape and was missing the sweat band. The felt, though, was still nice. Anyway, I attempted to reblock it two sizes larger to a 7 1/4 to fit me. I lost so much brim width in the size up that I decided it wasn't worth my effort to go any further with it. I still kept it as a reminder to how superior vintage felt was. So much better than anything made today. Felting is a long lost art. I came close to having a thin ribbon Borsa but it just didn't work out for me. The felt on that Borsa was every bit the way you described it.
Hi Terry,

I hope one in your size crosses your path. The first Borsalino I found many years back was a later production - 1970s I think - a late offering from old factory. The liner was no longer the raw silk variety and the sweatband was sewn with a reed, but the felt had much of the quality of the earlier versions, which I acquired later on. Hard to describe the differences from its American cousins but they are tangible. The lower priced Stetson thin ribbons are often light in weight but not that soft/supple and not very responsive to shaping. The high end beaver felt hats are immensely shapable and very well made, but feel a little heavy on the head to me. The Borsalino thin ribbon melds the best of both into one hat, beautifully executed in the hand of the felt and the finishings. My next favorite to wear and the early Stratoliners, which are modestly finished but have the lighweight formable felt down pat. Later Stratoliners (1950s) are too stiff IMO. The 7XCB is a marvelous felt for sure - just a little heavy/dressy and limited mostly to silverbelly. Just my person .02!

View attachment 234410 View attachment 234411 View attachment 234412 View attachment 234413 View attachment 234416 Greetings All:
Today...i wasn’t going to post this today because the light wouldn’t highlight the rich color and sparkle of this wonderful Borsalino which is it’s unique quality. This iteration is the Angora finish Gorasgu which is vastly different then some other Gorasgu models that seem to all be lovely.
i did manage to catch a little sparkle.
Be well and safe.
Bowen

Excellent rendering of a beautiful hat. Thanks for sharing, Bowen.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Michael. The ribbon is indeed on of its attractions.

Nice to see the Portis out again, Michael Works well with the suit.
Thanks Stefan. I liked the combo.

Yes! Always a joy to see that one, Michael.
Always a joy to wear, as well. Thanks Stefan.

Nice Borsalino Michael. It is cool that they imported such fine hats to Iowa. Love the boots.
Thanks Mike. Armstrong's was the premier department store in Cedar Rapids. The boots are Florsheims that I think date to around 1970.

Day 11 of 31 Hat Parade: Went on a drug run this morning. Not quite the same as it used to be though. Vitamins and flax seed oil for the folks, and other sundries, nothing illegal. Today was a first wearing of my Salvatore Ferragamo navy brogue oxfords. Another stray from Ebay, $850 shoes for $30 bucks! Grabbing an appropriate colored hat, I chose the Lee's of London 1950s fedora. This one has a beautiful bordello liner which I like very much. I had Mike Miller convert the brim to a whip stitch so it could be shaped like a true fedora with a "snap brim".

View attachment 234432 View attachment 234433 View attachment 234434 View attachment 234435 View attachment 234436 View attachment 234437
Very nice hat, Mike. I'm enjoying your 31 day jaunt through your collection. Great deal on the shoes. Are they shell cordovan?

Thanks all,
Michael

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
FB_IMG_1589300276441.jpg FB_IMG_1589300268004.jpg FB_IMG_1589300263111.jpg John Hanly cap I purchased on my last trip to Ireland

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up

mark balen

Familiar Face
Day 12 of 31 Hat Parade: Today will be my first Doctor appointment in the 'Rona Epoch. It will be by video over my phone since their office is still closed. Kind of makes the whole "turn your head and cough" thing kind of awkward I guess! What hat to wear? How about something a little different...a FEZ. Kind of a lounge hat. I did find some interesting information online "The origins of the fez, called the "tarboosh" by the Moroccans, are in dispute. Some claim that its origins are ancient Greece; others claim it comes from the Balkans. The wide acceptance of the fez stems from the Ottoman Empire extending its influence (never to Morocco however) in the early 19th Century". This Fez was a gift from my friend Stefan from the Netherlands a while back. It is an inexpensive "tourist" offering. Some are quite well made and very high end. The funny images are how I see myself in these weird times.

View attachment 234474 View attachment 234475 View attachment 234476 View attachment 234477 View attachment 234478

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 234479 View attachment 234480

I bought this hat about ten years ago in a vintage shop in Covent Garden, London. It has no labels so I have no idea where it's from, though the shopowner told me she brought it back from a buying trip to the USA. The felt is lovely and soft, though I've only recently rescued the brim from its floppy state thanks to a YouTube vid by Kevin of JJ Hat Center in NYC.
View attachment 234482 View attachment 234483
Nice hat Dix.
And what technique did Kevin at JJ’s use to remedy a floppy brim, if i may inquire??
B

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Hi Terry,

I hope one in your size crosses your path. The first Borsalino I found many years back was a later production - 1970s I think - a late offering from old factory. The liner was no longer the raw silk variety and the sweatband was sewn with a reed, but the felt had much of the quality of the earlier versions, which I acquired later on. Hard to describe the differences from its American cousins but they are tangible. The lower priced Stetson thin ribbons are often light in weight but not that soft/supple and not very responsive to shaping. The high end beaver felt hats are immensely shapable and very well made, but feel a little heavy on the head to me. The Borsalino thin ribbon melds the best of both into one hat, beautifully executed in the hand of the felt and the finishings. My next favorite to wear and the early Stratoliners, which are modestly finished but have the lighweight formable felt down pat. Later Stratoliners (1950s) are too stiff IMO. The 7XCB is a marvelous felt for sure - just a little heavy/dressy and limited mostly to silverbelly. Just my person .02!
Thanks Alan. That was very informative.

It was never really a beard, I found out. But I had often wondered if I could grow one
I found out that having a grey beard adds to your aura of authority and credibility. And if you grow it long enough people will think you're a wizard!

Outside watching a good ol' west Texas thunderstorm blow in. Northwest Hats covering the noggin.

View attachment 234414 View attachment 234415
Nice one, Roger. Better get it inside before it gets soaked.

View attachment 234410 View attachment 234411 View attachment 234412 View attachment 234413 View attachment 234416 Greetings All:
Today...i wasn’t going to post this today because the light wouldn’t highlight the rich color and sparkle of this wonderful Borsalino which is it’s unique quality. This iteration is the Angora finish Gorasgu which is vastly different then some other Gorasgu models that seem to all be lovely.
i did manage to catch a little sparkle.
Be well and safe.
Bowen
Can I just swoon over this one? Swoooooooon!

Day 11 of 31 Hat Parade: Went on a drug run this morning. Not quite the same as it used to be though. Vitamins and flax seed oil for the folks, and other sundries, nothing illegal. Today was a first wearing of my Salvatore Ferragamo navy brogue oxfords. Another stray from Ebay, $850 shoes for $30 bucks! Grabbing an appropriate colored hat, I chose the Lee's of London 1950s fedora. This one has a beautiful bordello liner which I like very much. I had Mike Miller convert the brim to a whip stitch so it could be shaped like a true fedora with a "snap brim".

View attachment 234432 View attachment 234433 View attachment 234434 View attachment 234435 View attachment 234436 View attachment 234437
Ah, yes. That one has a fabulous colour, Mike. I think the fedora look has improved it and made it more versatile. Good call. That is some deal on those shoes!

30:30 OT:33
Knox Flying Cloud

View attachment 234421

Knox Flying Cloud - Grey
4 1/2 crown as bashed
2 inch grosgrain ribbon
1 3/4 brim with Custom Edge (Cavanagh)

I bought this Knox Flying Cloud because of it’s very cool Flying Cloud liner which depicts the sailing cutter The Flying Cloud which set the world record for fastest sailing time from New York to San Francisco in 1854. A record held for over 150 years. This Flying Cloud is a very soft supple felt and a beautiful grey color. I have kept this one in what I assume is it’s factory crease with subtle side dents as it really seems to suit this hat. This beautiful hat with its short Cavanagh edge brim originally sold for $18.50 and came with the cool red Knox pin.

View attachment 234422 View attachment 234423 View attachment 234424 View attachment 234425 View attachment 234426 View attachment 234427 View attachment 234430 View attachment 234429

I recently picked up one of these in brown also With the Flying Cloud liner.
View attachment 234431
Lovely hat, Joe. That liner steals the show.

This week I will feature various shades of Grey German and Austrian Velours. Most will be from the 1930s.

Echter Rockel Velour, possibly late 1930s - 1940s. Originally new old stock. Really fantastic colors (felt, liner, ribbon) and a superb Velour finish. Rockel Alsfeld was unusual because they were a post WWI hat company. They were able to produce high quality Velour hats (and other hats) at a lower price which made them popular.

49884805688_39d709b666_b.jpg

49885643017_fa3aacc573_b.jpg

49885648442_65ce9374c1_b.jpg

49885653092_9facf34558_b.jpg

49884826648_8f383ee3fc_b.jpg

49885359396_ff8368fa91_b.jpg

Rockel "25 Years"

24081051233_59de9a1203_h.jpg

24081049683_b27b9e7625_h.jpg

24681698456_5506e19fdc_h.jpg

24590118912_ae88b0c854_h.jpg

A business one drives from without; but work is only where it is active for communication of reason from within.
-Paracelus

24681460006_457e73b523_h.jpg

ROCKEL & CO.
It's going to be a good week, Steve. Lots of petting hats on show I expect. That Rockel is a great example.

Day 12 of 31 Hat Parade: Today will be my first Doctor appointment in the 'Rona Epoch. It will be by video over my phone since their office is still closed. Kind of makes the whole "turn your head and cough" thing kind of awkward I guess! What hat to wear? How about something a little different...a FEZ. Kind of a lounge hat. I did find some interesting information online "The origins of the fez, called the "tarboosh" by the Moroccans, are in dispute. Some claim that its origins are ancient Greece; others claim it comes from the Balkans. The wide acceptance of the fez stems from the Ottoman Empire extending its influence (never to Morocco however) in the early 19th Century". This Fez was a gift from my friend Stefan from the Netherlands a while back. It is an inexpensive "tourist" offering. Some are quite well made and very high end. The funny images are how I see myself in these weird times.

View attachment 234474 View attachment 234475 View attachment 234476 View attachment 234477 View attachment 234478
To be worn with aplomb and panache. The velvet dinner jacket to go with it is an excellent idea, Mike.

Excellent, Fabio. Love the tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk