Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Escapades this morning in a VS Westen (named for the venerable Stetson Westen (Whippet with "mode edge") in artlite silvermist.

i-hGnrG48-M.jpg

i-sCr7dXF-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Michael. Exactly that: very easy to mistake it for a black hat.

Nice looking hat, Michael. Well, it isn't a beaver twenty for nothing I guess.
Thanks Stefan. I think when this one was made a Twenty wasn't quite what it once was, but still a nice piece of felt.

Outstanding homburg, Doug.

Lovely, Michael. The way it creases tells me a lot about that felt.

No matter what country it's from, a great hat, Max.
Thanks again, Stefan. It's been awhile since this one found it's way out of the box.

We're starting week four of German week. Let's start off with a goodie.
Hückel Special. It's rare I find another example of a hat I traded with someone, but this is an example. I had one before that was too large and went overseas to @moehawk. Very happy to find this one.

View attachment 236117 View attachment 236114 View attachment 236115 View attachment 236116
Very Special. I'm looking forward to the rest of Week 4.

Thanks,
Michael

We're starting week four of German week. Let's start off with a goodie.
Hückel Special. It's rare I find another example of a hat I traded with someone, but this is an example. I had one before that was too large and went overseas to @moehawk. Very happy to find this one.

View attachment 236117 View attachment 236114 View attachment 236115 View attachment 236116
I sure love the colors on this Special. I wear the one I got from you on a regular basis. Great hats, this one looks a little older than mine.

Yesterday, my Penman during parent visit, and then lawn maintenance later on.
View attachment 236160
Very nice lines on that Penman. I need more green hats...

Very 50s looking, or is it older? Nice rich brown and a cool logo in the liner. Aces Max.

Minty indeed Brent! I like the black imprinting on that beautiful sweat, nice

This week I will feature Echter Borsalino Hats which were made for the German Market. The hats will be from the late 1920s up to the 1950s.

Echter Borsalino "Amiata", Crown Open 5 1/2 inches, Brim 2 1/4 inches, probably late 1930s early 1940s. The Light Gray felt is medium weight, with a great smooth finish, and very pliable. There is contrasting black Band and light gray Binding. There is also a Looped Wind Cord which is uniquely wrapped. The hat is in mint condition and was sold by Ferdinand, Klan Hof i / B. (Bavaria).
49910956346_4c7acd905a_b.jpg

49910458123_b573736ca5_b.jpg

49911280502_3b675840d2_b.jpg

Gray Sweatband
Echter Borsalino, Deutsche Hutmacher-Zeitung, 02/09/1929
"Only the Genuine Borsalino Hat bears the Trademark Genuine Borsalino"
This one is really special Steve. My Bismuto version of this hat is very similar, but has the onion skin over the liner tip. Other than that, the details/dimensions are quite like this one. My question, when did we start seeing the onion skin protectors? Did this one have that early in it's life? You continue to amaze me.

50s Portis OR clone with a Runabout wool and cotton blanket liner Japanese fabric face mask.
Runabout is donating 1 mask to a local LA hospital for every one that they sell. My son in law is a charge nurse of the ECU in a West LA hospital and told me that they gratefully received a huge box of donated masks last week.
The trade winds returned today bringing showers most of the day. I put on a proper pair of shoes for the first time in months and took a serious 5 mile hike down the hill and along the coastal path on the daily Masked Corona Crawl. The rains let up in the late evening and it was nice and cool walking vigorously at sunset and into the night.
I've been looking for a classic 50s silverbelly Stetson Open Road with a cattleman's crease, but this Portis is a pretty nice hat with an imported beaver blend felt that takes a crease nicely with a little steam.
View attachment 236262
View attachment 236263
View attachment 236264
View attachment 236265
View attachment 236266
Great looking Portis. I like your crease choice on this one.

Class!

Escapades this morning in a VS Westen (named for the venerable Stetson Westen (Whippet with "mode edge") in artlite silvermist.

i-hGnrG48-M.jpg

i-sCr7dXF-M.jpg

Best, Eric -
Wonderful Eric! The grays play well with each other.

I've decided to call this one Mellow Feel
IMG_3892 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3893 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3902 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Another lovely cool day.
5-19-2020 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a good day,
Michael
Perfect description of the colorway of this beauty. It is truly a unique piece Michael. Love it!

No risky behavior this morning as I just went on a long walkabout in the woods. A classy VS in dark moss was my fedora for the jaunt.

i-dPqBVBq-M.jpg

Spring is natures way of reassuring us in the belief of tomorrow. Cheers, Eric -
Inspiring images Eric! You blend so well with your surroundings, not camo, but a symbiotic relationship. You da man!

Day 19 of 31 Hat Parade: As a Historian, working at the Archives of Oregon State, I found an image of a famous Beaver coach, Armory "Slats" Gill and had to recreate his iconic look. Another custom hat was developed with Mike Miller at Northwest Hats. The image was from c.1933 and appeared to be a Stetson Playboy style hat. Slats had the brim in a sporty "Hollywood" curl with one side down, and the other up. This hat is unlined, with a period mid width ribbon like the image showed. Being a B&W photo, the color is speculative. One of my favorite tribute hats to Oregon State College of a bygone era.

Slats curl bow 20Jul17.jpg
Slats Reversed 450x.jpg
Slats front view BW 1935 2.jpg
Slats tip logo 12Jul17.jpg
25Aug17 Slats front.jpg

50s Portis OR clone with a Runabout wool and cotton blanket liner Japanese fabric face mask.
Runabout is donating 1 mask to a local LA hospital for every one that they sell. My son in law is a charge nurse of the ECU in a West LA hospital and told me that they gratefully received a huge box of donated masks last week.
The trade winds returned today bringing showers most of the day. I put on a proper pair of shoes for the first time in months and took a serious 5 mile hike down the hill and along the coastal path on the daily Masked Corona Crawl. The rains let up in the late evening and it was nice and cool walking vigorously at sunset and into the night.
I've been looking for a classic 50s silverbelly Stetson Open Road with a cattleman's crease, but this Portis is a pretty nice hat with an imported beaver blend felt that takes a crease nicely with a little steam.
View attachment 236262
View attachment 236263
View attachment 236264
View attachment 236265
View attachment 236266
Great looking hat definitely fits the bill

Day 19 of 31 Hat Parade: As a Historian, working at the Archives of Oregon State, I found an image of a famous Beaver coach, Armory "Slats" Gill and had to recreate his iconic look. Another custom hat was developed with Mike Miller at Northwest Hats. The image was from c.1933 and appeared to be a Stetson Playboy style hat. Slats had the brim in a sporty "Hollywood" curl with one side down, and the other up. This hat is unlined, with a period mid width ribbon like the image showed. Being a B&W photo, the color is speculative. One of my favorite tribute hats to Oregon State College of a bygone era.

View attachment 236326 View attachment 236327 View attachment 236328 View attachment 236329 View attachment 236330
What a beautiful hat Mike. Excellent commission

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Day 18 of 31 Hat Parade: NOTICE - the first offer of $275 can own this fedora - Shipping at cost. 7 1/4 LO Size. I don't usually sell my customs, but here is your BIG CHANCE! Bespoke Week! This week I am going to feature my custom made hats. I have a stack of white boxes from Mike Miller of Northwest Hats in Eugene. Each one contains a hat with a story. This granite felt with burgundy appointments was an attempt at replicating the famous Stetson Whippet from the 1940s. It has a 2 5/8" brim and a 5 1/2" crown, classic measurements. The granite beaver felt is kind of a chameleon, some light it is greenish, some a deep gray. Dress weight (winter) felt worked today in the gray rainy gloom for a trip to the garden center.

View attachment 236133 View attachment 236134 View attachment 236135 View attachment 236136 View attachment 236137
If this was my size I'd say ship it north to me, Mike. Always a favorite!

This week I will feature Echter Borsalino Hats which were made for the German Market. The hats will be from the late 1920s up to the 1950s.

Echter Borsalino "Amiata", Crown Open 5 1/2 inches, Brim 2 1/4 inches, probably late 1930s early 1940s. The Light Gray felt is medium weight, with a great smooth finish, and very pliable. There is contrasting black Band and light gray Binding. There is also a Looped Wind Cord which is uniquely wrapped. The hat is in mint condition and was sold by Ferdinand, Klan Hof i / B. (Bavaria).

49911263822_340b0dd7df_b.jpg

49910956346_4c7acd905a_b.jpg

49910974256_4551987d15_b.jpg

49910458123_b573736ca5_b.jpg

49911280502_3b675840d2_b.jpg

Gray Sweatband

49911296367_fec072a7c4_b.jpg

Echter Borsalino, Deutsche Hutmacher-Zeitung, 02/09/1929

49911055521_3df7e9b816_c.jpg

"Only the Genuine Borsalino Hat bears the Trademark Genuine Borsalino"
These are going to be good and this one already a gorgeous example. And in outstanding condition as well.

Thanks Stefan. I think when this one was made a Twenty wasn't quite what it once was, but still a nice piece of felt.

Thanks again, Stefan. It's been awhile since this one found it's way out of the box.

Very Special. I'm looking forward to the rest of Week 4.

Thanks,
Michael
Thank you, Michael.

I sure love the colors on this Special. I wear the one I got from you on a regular basis. Great hats, this one looks a little older than mine.

Very nice lines on that Penman. I need more green hats...

Very 50s looking, or is it older? Nice rich brown and a cool logo in the liner. Aces Max.

Minty indeed Brent! I like the black imprinting on that beautiful sweat, nice

This one is really special Steve. My Bismuto version of this hat is very similar, but has the onion skin over the liner tip. Other than that, the details/dimensions are quite like this one. My question, when did we start seeing the onion skin protectors? Did this one have that early in it's life? You continue to amaze me.

Great looking Portis. I like your crease choice on this one.

Class!

Wonderful Eric! The grays play well with each other.
Thanks, Mike. Almost forgot that the Paavo Nurmi one is a Special as well.

I've decided to call this one Mellow Feel
IMG_3892 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3893 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_3902 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Another lovely cool day.
5-19-2020 Today's Clothes by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Have a good day,
Michael
Good name for that one!

View attachment 236326 View attachment 236327 View attachment 236328 View attachment 236329 View attachment 236330
Unlined, mid-ribbon and great colours. What's not to like? Inspired, Mike.

German week 4 day 2.
Wegener Super Special finish in dark grey
IMG_2519.jpg
wegener super_01.jpg
wegener super_04.jpg
wegener super_07.jpg
IMG_2520.jpg

And as a two hat day special a bit of a mongrel. Chisnall is very much an English brand. The hat was made in Germany however as shown on the label, which is from W+G Schuchart, a wholeseller. The hat could have been made by Wegener as well.
Chisnall Nutria in the colour zomo.
IMG_2521.jpg
chisnall_01.jpg
chisnall_04.jpg
chisnall_07.jpg
chisnall_10.jpg

Mike, Thank you! From my experience Onion Skin over the Liner Tip is post WWII. I am not sure when exactly but my guess is early 1950s.

Fantastic Northwest Hats commission piece from you today! The Felt finish looks great same with the color. Also really like the form and mid sized ribbon. Also congrats on passing the mid point of your month series!

These are going to be good and this one already a gorgeous example. And in outstanding condition as well.
Stefan, Thank you! Sorry for the late reply. I missed commenting on your Hückel Weilheim "Special" from yesterday. I really like the form and bow design. Hard to go wrong with Hückel Weilheim. Also a great duo from you today with the Wegener "Super Special" and the "Chisnall". Keep them coming!

Stefan, Thank you! Sorry for the late reply. I missed commenting on your Hückel Weilheim "Special" from yesterday. I really like the form and bow design. Hard to go wrong with Hückel Weilheim. Also a great duo from you today with the Wegener "Super Special" and the "Chisnall". Keep them coming!
Thanks, Steve. Will do. Still a few more to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112