Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
An evening this week I was out wearing a vintage Stetson Medalist panama. This hat is very comfy and sees lots of head time.

i-b9SVcK8-M.jpg

I wore a Dobbs Cross Country to cross the yard and visit the scene of tomorrows wood splitting project.

i-XBCVtXN-M.jpg

Unlined goodness on a cooler summer evening.

Cheers. Be safe, be strong and see you on the street soon, Eric -

Last edited:
View attachment 256008

Dobbs Hanover Square
Grey/Silver/Green
5 inch open crown (4 1/2 as shaped)
2 inch silver grosgrain ribbon
2 1/2 brim with 3/8 Matching grosgrain binding

I stumbled upon this beauty... Dobbs Hanover Square. I have seen the some here who have this model enjoy them greatly. The Hanover Square clearly seems to have been Dobbs stab at Stetson’s ever popular Whippet of the 1950s. Man did Dobbs do a great job. If I am to compare the two.. the Hanover Square is a bit lighter softer felt as opposed to Stetsons stiffer.. but still very high quality felt. So probably a matter of preference there. I tend to prefer the softer felt on the Dobbs here... but I still appreciate the quality on the Stetson.

I had thought the felt was a light silver grey with a silver ribbon. But in stepping outside I also saw green tones to both. As is the case with a lot of these old felts the colors can shift in different lights.

This one originally sold for $11.95 at Popular Dry Goods Co. I’m thinking based on the manufacturing tag I would place this one in early to mid 1960s. Though curious to opinions.

View attachment 256011 View attachment 256012 View attachment 256013 View attachment 256014 View attachment 256015 View attachment 256017 View attachment 256016 View attachment 256009 View attachment 256010
Simply wonderful, Joe.
View attachment 256196

Tress and Co - London - Bowler - Chocolate Brown
4 1/2 hard crown
Approx 1 inch brown grosgrain ribbon And matching brim binding
1 3/8 brim front - 1 1/2 Sides

While the bowler/derby is not a style I wear often, the chance to add a brown English bowler wasn’t one I wanted to pass up. This Tress and Co - London - Made in England bowler has a rather short brim ranging from 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 and the ‘hard hat’ protective crown. This one I do not think is particularly old. However Tress was bought out by Christys in 1953 and closes by 1967. I do not know if Christys used the brand afterward. I do love the liner styling.

View attachment 256195 View attachment 256194
View attachment 256193 View attachment 256200 View attachment 256199 View attachment 256197 View attachment 256198
I can relate, Joe. I have several bowlers, because I like the craftmanship on them, but I almost never wear them.

Suprising to see how much the ribbon and bow define the look of a hat.

Hey folks!
Going green with this Rockel on a cold and foggy day.

View attachment 256317 View attachment 256318 View attachment 256319

Have a great day!
Looks good on you, John. Probably no chance this year to show it off come Oktoberfest though.

View attachment 256409 Could no longer resist taking this magnificent 50s Borsalino to the next level by becoming more fedora-ish and less homburg-ish.
Without hesitation, or reserve, I can pick a most favorite hat.
For reference, the last photo is how it used to look. Some may like it better. I did, for a while. View attachment 256408 View attachment 256407 View attachment 256406 View attachment 256405 View attachment 256404
Ps,
I suppose I should add that this was not a conversion. Only change made to the hat was when I fixed the rust stained ribbon...and now the brim’s shape.
It's gorgeous, Randall. Easy to see why it's a favourite.

Very nice, Perry. That bit of contrast with the ribbon makes it pop.

7X CBQ
View attachment 256479
Also ... New bash for this RD OR
View attachment 256480
Great look on both, Mike. The crease on the 7x is tight!

A D'Aquino which I completely tore down, reblocked, and rebuilt.

View attachment 256485 View attachment 256486
Good job, Jim. I like the colours.

ux2CqyP.jpg
7OheClW.jpg

Stingy Dobbs Pork Pie with a back bow. Nice little front brim dip gives it a western feel.
Dammit man.....that hat's got it and you are rockin' it.

And those raybans were made for that one
+1 !

A bit of rain today so I pulled out an ArtLite for work tonight.

View attachment 256616 View attachment 256617 View attachment 256618
Wonderful hat, Bill. Exquisite bow work.

View attachment 256701 Taking my dad’s riding mower to get fixed under this totally rebuilt 50s fairly tightly woven Richman Brothers.
Because the old stitching rotted I had to resew the original leather sweatband together and then sew it back in the hat. The grosgrain hat band is from a 50s Mallory. View attachment 256700
Very nice and good job on saving it, Randall.

Hey all!
This c. 1950 Stetson 3X Beaver Quality Mode Edge on a foggy day.
View attachment 256818

View attachment 256819 View attachment 256817

Have a great day!
Cool look, John. Great colour combination.

Ah, there's a volunteer back in the frame with you this time. Looking good, Yahoody!

We went from swelter to cellar this week, with some stormy weather to boot. Anyway; here are some of the hats.

Borsalino Caffe

IMG_2674.jpg

Baronet Nutria
IMG_2675.jpg

Storm and rain called for a resilient hat. While I have several bowlers, I almost never wear them. This time the weather called for it and it held up admirably.
Borsalino Giorgetto bombetta
IMG_2676.jpg

We went from swelter to cellar this week, with some stormy weather to boot. Anyway; here are some of the hats.

Borsalino Caffe

View attachment 257102
Baronet Nutria
View attachment 257103
Storm and rain called for a resilient hat. While I have several bowlers, I almost never wear them. This time the weather called for it and it held up admirably.
View attachment 257104

All great and each worn as if it grew on your head... including the bowler. I wear mine infrequently too but always enjoy them when I do.

I think that’s the nicest “standard weave” boater I’ve seen. I love the intricate Yeddos, but there’s something very elegant about this hat. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you, Brent. I’ve tried to diversify the weaves in collecting boaters and this style is the hardest not to duplicate. I do have several but agree - this Stetson seems to put the parts together exceptionally well, as Stetsons often do.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
A trio of nice lids, Stefan. The Borsa Bowler really suits you. I think we should all wear our Bowlers more often :)
View attachment 257142
You and @Stefan certainly make fine representatives for more bowler wear campaigns.
I happily wore mine last week, and hey, do ya think they’re called bowlers cause they look like wearable bowling balls with a brim? :)
If someone cut 3 holes in the top...

Uh oh. You think I may’ve just given Foquet another scary idea?

Last edited:

Borsalino Caffe

View attachment 257102
Baronet Nutria
View attachment 257103
View attachment 257104
Stormy weather aside.. three great looking hats

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
You and @Stefan certainly make fine representatives for more bowler wear campaigns.
I happily wore mine last week, and hey, do ya think they’re called bowlers cause they look like wearable bowling balls with a brim? :)
If someone cut 3 holes in the top.

My Oldham and Fogg Bowler has these ventilation dents, Randall. Closest I could find to a bowling ball Bowler :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner