Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

13EB03CE-DCF9-4318-B97A-8D2869224FA7.jpeg
Strat

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I'm still trying to lift my jaw up after it dropped looking at that Dobbs Twenty, Joe. Fantastic looking lid and one gorgeous looking colour. Nice catch, cudos to you and Jared for bringing that one to the FL.

View attachment 258463

Dobbs Twenty - Navy (1950s)
5 1/2 crown
1 7/8 matching grosgrain ribbon
2 inch brim with guild edge (with stitching)

When I opened the box from Jared I could see right away this was a special one. The blue felt almost seemed to glow as I pulled it from the box. (Maybe an angel choir in the background). Haha. Seriously though it is one beautiful hat in a wonderful dark blue color in a short brim style that I really enjoy wearing. Being a Dobbs Twenty I knew it would likely have a Guild Edge Brim (Dobbs version of Cavanagh Edge). At first glance though it appeared it was a beautifully done over welt. I then looked at the sweatband and saw the Guild Edge stamp. As I inspected more closely it appears the brim is a Cavanagh edge... with some small stitches around the top border of the Cavanagh edge. This stitching does not go all the way through the brim and appears it may be cosmetic. I have owned several Cavanagh edge hats and haven’t come across any with this type of stitching. Not sure if anyone else has seen them. Based on the manufacturing tag I’m thinking 1950s on this one. The sweatband features the Leisure Flex design which you can see some of in the manufacturing tag photo. The generous 5 1/2 crown and 2 inch brim Create a wonderful profile. And I just love the blue felt and ribbon. I am very grateful to Jared for this wonderful piece. Hats off to you sir... or hats on in this case!!

View attachment 258466 View attachment 258464 View attachment 258465 View attachment 258467 View attachment 258469 View attachment 258468 View attachment 258471 View attachment 258470 View attachment 258472
View attachment 258463

Dobbs Twenty - Navy (1950s)
5 1/2 crown
1 7/8 matching grosgrain ribbon
2 inch brim with guild edge (with stitching)

When I opened the box from Jared I could see right away this was a special one. The blue felt almost seemed to glow as I pulled it from the box. (Maybe an angel choir in the background). Haha. Seriously though it is one beautiful hat in a wonderful dark blue color in a short brim style that I really enjoy wearing. Being a Dobbs Twenty I knew it would likely have a Guild Edge Brim (Dobbs version of Cavanagh Edge). At first glance though it appeared it was a beautifully done over welt. I then looked at the sweatband and saw the Guild Edge stamp. As I inspected more closely it appears the brim is a Cavanagh edge... with some small stitches around the top border of the Cavanagh edge. This stitching does not go all the way through the brim and appears it may be cosmetic. I have owned several Cavanagh edge hats and haven’t come across any with this type of stitching. Not sure if anyone else has seen them. Based on the manufacturing tag I’m thinking 1950s on this one. The sweatband features the Leisure Flex design which you can see some of in the manufacturing tag photo. The generous 5 1/2 crown and 2 inch brim Create a wonderful profile. And I just love the blue felt and ribbon. I am very grateful to Jared for this wonderful piece. Hats off to you sir... or hats on in this case!!

View attachment 258466 View attachment 258464 View attachment 258465 View attachment 258467 View attachment 258469 View attachment 258468 View attachment 258471 View attachment 258470 View attachment 258472

I'm still trying to lift my jaw up after it dropped looking at that Dobbs Twenty, Joe. Fantastic looking lid and one gorgeous looking colour. Nice catch, cudos to you and Jared for bringing that one to the FL.
Thank you so much Steve. And agree with you on both accounts. Big time thanks to Jared.

I just absolutely love that shape, colour, thin ribbon, bow flow, and wind cord. There is only one thing I do not like about that hat, Jim: it's not mine :)

QUOTE="Frunobulax, post: 2710126, member: 34862"]The San Antonio gets pressed into service to have lunch with some coworkers I hadn't seen since March.

View attachment 258582 View attachment 258583
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Steve, and good to see you posting. And yeah, this one ticks a lot of boxes. A classic look, and one that always hangs close to the door.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Early morning dog soirree. We have been leaving in the dark and arriving back home in the early morning light. An unlined Stetson Playboy was my hat choice. The patina of the ribbon has it a purple-ish blue hue against the blue-gray felt. I could not have chosen a better ribbon color.

i-DQHkRdV-M.jpg

i-3mbbnMh-M.jpg

i-RVhbgc8-M.jpg

A yard walk-about while sipping freshly roasted coffee (peaberry from Hacienda LaManita in Costa Rica). I changed hats to allow the Stetson to dry out on a block. A Gannon Wanderer in granite is a perfect walk-about fedora.

i-GXtbM9N-M.jpg

i-LcgTWKK-M.jpg

i-BK97qZX-M.jpg

Cheers. Be safe, be strong and see you on the streets soon, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner