Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
Took the vintage Christy's Wildfowl to church for the first time today. I don't usually like feathers but today I thought they added a nice touch. Besides - my wife liked them so that settled it. I love the blending of the green and brown in the felt.

BTW I got this from fellow lounge member @stetsonofagun aka Andrew. Turns out we live pretty close to one another.

View attachment 144972 View attachment 144973 View attachment 144974 View attachment 144971 View attachment 144968 View attachment 144969 View attachment 144970
Great looking heather Bill

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I’m a day behind, but Optimo
Manhattan:

3954f00b46d8549943801107ae0df65d.jpg

ee949f39be848d1fd19291a0bbe1f32b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Nobody complains about Terry converting vintage western and Borsalino hats into fedoras. I just change the size of them a teeny little bit, keeping the same shape, ribbon, sweat, and liner, and Charlie and Mark call me heretic. Sheesh. [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Westerns are much more common,than some of the rare vintage hats you change...just my 2 cents.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You found the flaw in my argument! [emoji33]
You should be a lawyer.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Also, a western or Homburg that has been converted it no longer a western or Homburg. I have an Adam Homburg that is now a fedora. No one would think my hat is a Homburg. A modified Open Road, for example, would still most likely be considered an Open Road albeit not original. It could fool people.

But in my opinion they are your hats. Do with them what you will. Enjoy them. Just be aware that for those wanting original you have affected the desirability and therefore the value.

But in my opinion they are your hats. Do with them what you will. Enjoy them.
We are dealing with vintage objects of limited availability & lifespan. There aren't many Shore Clubs, Beachcombers, "100"s, "150"s, etc out there because there weren't many to begin with. Be a good conservator while it is under your ownership. That's all anyone is asking. If you want to resto mod something & destroy it's originality, or it's the vintage felt you're after than start with a vintage hat with no model name, in poor condition, etc. Don't permanently destroy a rare original piece.

Also, a western or Homburg that has been converted it no longer a western or Homburg. I have an Adam Homburg that is now a fedora. No one would think my hat is a Homburg. A modified Open Road, for example, would still most likely be considered an Open Road albeit not original. It could fool people.

But in my opinion they are your hats. Do with them what you will. Enjoy them. Just be aware that for those wanting original you have affected the desirability and therefore the value.

Well said, Bill. I’m a firm believer in individual rights, and while I might have a contrary opinion, I find it boorish and I’ll-mannered to lecture others on what they should do with their own belongings. I think you can express a passionate opinion and back it up with your reasoning, but I don’t like seeing people getting badgered. I get that this is a passion of ours and we become emotionally involved but grown men should not be lectured or harangued. In the end they are just hats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner