Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Snowman

Practically Family
A return to temperatures in the 50s provided the opportunity for felt again.
240E4A00-9A8D-49E0-A865-A570302BA423.jpeg
8B5363F9-141E-4D1D-AF61-4655AF470E5E.jpeg

Stevens.

quikrick

One Too Many
A look back today to my Dad who wore hats often and well. He took to wearing this cap a bunch in later years but had many others in the rotation. His service medal qualified him to be buried at Arlington but he opted for Calverton National Cemetery where his wife could join him. She died first and we visited quite often... a peaceful monument to the essence we all have in common. I still make the trip on most of my visits out East.

View attachment 338337

View attachment 338338

View attachment 338339

View attachment 338340
Beautiful Alan.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
What, no food? Excellent hats on both of you, Gary.

Beautiful hat, Marcel.

Fantastic find, Randall. Good to see you back by the way. Seems to be a misto felt we haven't seen before: M. Ble?
Looking forward to seeing the other hats.

Thanks, Stefan! First sight of one of your “Gu” hats made me decide to be on the hunt for one. 2 years later and finally! So lucky.
Still would like to know what Gorusgu means...
The over stretched elastic wind button kept falling off and was located too far back, so it got repositioned and re-sewn today. What is your estimation of its birthday?
The other hats will be posted soon as I can find time to get them in show condition.

Your lineup for this week is a grand affair! My favorite is the dove gray.
I’m a sucker for that color.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Wearing my latest rebuild. This is a Resistol Ridgetop in Silver Grey that a fellow Lounger gifted to me. I took this one apart and blocked it up from a 7 1/8 to a 7 1/4 LO. Except for the hat band, I reused everything that was original to the hat. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to fire my photographer. She and the poodle slept in this morning and I had to snap a couple of bathroom mirror selfies.

Ridgetop-Resistol-1-A.jpg

Before:
IMG-20210430-100816596.jpg

IMG-20210430-100742621.jpg

Reblocked from a 7 1/8 to a 7 1/4 LO on my RA block:
IMG-20210501-081347639.jpg

Brim cut to 3 inches with my Rick Walker brim cutter:
IMG-20210505-082107742.jpg

Finished:
Resistol-Ridgetop-12-A.jpg

Resistol-Ridgetop-6-A.jpg

Resistol-Ridgetop-7-A.jpg

I wanted to do something similar to the hat Clint Eastwood wore in the movie, "A Perfect World"
Resistol-Ridgetop-13-A.jpg

Great looking hat! Superb work, per usual!

Thanks, Stefan! First sight of one of your “Gu” hats made me decide to be on the hunt for one. 2 years later and finally! So lucky.
Still would like to know what Gorusgu means...
The over stretched elastic wind button kept falling off and was located too far back, so it got repositioned and re-sewn today. What is your estimation of its birthday?
The other hats will be posted soon as I can find time to get them in show condition.

Your lineup for this week is a grand affair! My favorite is the dove gray.
I’m a sucker for that color.
Gorasgus don't show up all that often. I have Jonathan @TheOldFashioned to thank for two of the three I have. So to find you do indeed need luck. I think you were right on the money with the mid-fifties to early sixties for your hat.
We still haven't come up with a good explanation for the Borsalino names. They don't seem to be completely random, but at this time it's still anyone's guess.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful find, Randall. Congrats my friend.

View attachment 338169 View attachment 338168 How’s everyone doing?
Been a while since being here to talk about hats, but have been busy enlarging my collection and working on a few. Also very busy with carpentry.
Might remember how that early on after coming to this forum, and seeing a few, I desired a Borsalino Gorusgu? Finally found one and she’s a tall, wide and tan hairy beaut! A full boat box ticker!
4 3/4” crown as creased and 2 13/16” brim. Not sure, but guessing a mid to late 50s model? Yet to fix the position of the elastic wind trolley, but this particular “Gu” only needed steam shaping, one stain removed and the rear seam resewn, since it had been taped, but not re-sewn in a repair made years ago—to my estimation, as the repair looked old fashioned.
So happy to at last have her crowning my humble collection!
Also have added a Stetson Imperial, Flagship, 40s Blueish Strat and a 40s Stetson top hat to the brood!
Still working on the 7X CB but can’t wait to share these and many others soon! I’m waiting on a new composite hat block from Randal Alan. Need it to complete the refurbishments some of them need.
The new block will be “square” sided with hardly any taper and Randal assures that it’s made with better, longer lasting material.
View attachment 338161 View attachment 338162 View attachment 338166

Now, if I can just find a Sweet Disney!
:)

Hope all here are doing better than well!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Hi folks. Just checking in to show that I haven't completely checked out.

Loading time on the FL has been driving me even more crazy, hence the lack of posts.

Anyway, summer temperatures hit Denmark this weekend, so too hot for felts. However, I was able to wear this very modern, lightweight at 61 grams, funky Borsalino felt for my evening walk today.

20210530_213914.jpg

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Hi folks. Just checking in to show that I haven't completely checked out.

Loading time on the FL has been driving me even more crazy, hence the lack of posts.

Anyway, summer temperatures hit Denmark this weekend, so too hot for felts. However, I was able to wear this very modern, lightweight at 61 grams, funky Borsalino felt for my evening walk today.

View attachment 338427

Thanks, Steve!
You’re lookin sharp in that funky fedora and European Members Only jacket!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Gorasgus don't show up all that often. I have Jonathan @TheOldFashioned to thank for two of the three I have. So to find you do indeed need luck. I think you were right on the money with the mid-fifties to early sixties for your hat.
We still haven't come up with a good explanation for the Borsalino names. They don't seem to be completely random, but at this time it's still anyone's guess.

Lucky for sure. I didn’t know it was a Gorusgu when I hit the “buy it now” button.
I knew it was a great hat at $140, but imagine the elation after it arrived and saw the inside tag!
And yes, so happy to finally have a misto that I can keep!

Mysteries are a good thing sometimes. Like Vita-felts. They likely wouldn’t be near as attractive if we knew their true composition.

Although, couldn’t somebody, like Brad, send one to a scientist and have them do a lab analysis? :)

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 338169 View attachment 338168 How’s everyone doing?
Been a while since being here to talk about hats, but have been busy enlarging my collection and working on a few. Also very busy with carpentry.
Might remember how that early on after coming to this forum, and seeing a few, I desired a Borsalino Gorusgu? Finally found one and she’s a tall, wide and tan hairy beaut! A full boat box ticker!
4 3/4” crown as creased and 2 13/16” brim. Not sure, but guessing a mid to late 50s model? Yet to fix the position of the elastic wind trolley, but this particular “Gu” only needed steam shaping, one stain removed and the rear seam resewn, since it had been taped, but not re-sewn in a repair made years ago—to my estimation, as the repair looked old fashioned.
So happy to at last have her crowning my humble collection!
Also have added a Stetson Imperial, Flagship, 40s Blueish Strat and a 40s Stetson top hat to the brood!
Still working on the 7X CB but can’t wait to share these and many others soon! I’m waiting on a new composite hat block from Randal Alan. Need it to complete the refurbishments some of them need.
The new block will be “square” sided with hardly any taper and Randal assures that it’s made with better, longer lasting material.
View attachment 338161 View attachment 338162 View attachment 338166

Now, if I can just find a Sweet Disney!
:)

Hope all here are doing better than well!
Outstanding beautiful, beautiful Gorasgu. Gorasgu has such wonderful proportions as you now know, Randall.
I’m impressed with how many different felts and finishes they come in. Angora, Silchi are two elegant long hair finishes with finely felted edge and over-welt edge respectively. Then the light as a cloud, dense thinly felted, bound edged Garasgu that crease with a sneeze are as nice a hat as can be found. Borsalino at their finest are the Gorasgu’s.
Congratulations on all your new acquisitions, i look forward to seeing more of them. Thanks for sharing.
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko