Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Pearls before swine? :) I don’t know how many people I’d let touch that hat if it were mine. I’ve only ever handled one…these aren’t
Do you mean you handled a Churchill Vicuña, or another hat with Vicuña fibers?
I have "Vicuña Hat" on my eBay search list, and only Borsalinos show up sometimes.
Those listings say "15 % Vicuña". I wonder what percentage my Churchill has. The feel is different, softer.

A 1930’s Hairy Heather Royal Stetson Mode-Edge Feather Weight View attachment 401879
Beautiful!

View attachment 401949 View attachment 401950

Wormser Premier Quality Boater
3 1/2 inch Crown
1 3/4 blue and black ribbon
2 3/4 front 2 1/2 sides brim

I’ve had a passing interest in adding a boater at some point if the right one came along. This one however happened to be included with the Hopkins Panama so it kinda came in the back door. I knew going in this boater was going to need a little work to flatten its brim as the sellers photos showed a small bend. However the sellers photos did not even come close to showing how badly bent and somewhat cracked the brim was. I’m not sure if it got worse in shipping or if was just a shortcoming of the photos… as I couldn’t quite represent the damage even in my own photographs. Either way the brim was bent almost to a 45 degree angle in spots and the straw layers were separated like a Pillsbury flaky biscuit.

So my first experience with a boater turns out is in a reshaping exercise. I figured since the brim was so badly bent and already starting to crack…. I needed either a tremendous amount of steam…. Or actual get it wet to soften up the brim. I chose the later and just quickly ran both sides of the brim under the faucet which softened up the straw some. I then placed the brim flat down on the counter and slowly pressed it into a more flat shape. I then took my iron on highest setting with steam… placed a piece of parchment paper In between the brim and the iron to avoid burning the straw and worked my way around the hat pressing and flattening all the way round. Steaming out as much of the moisture around the way as possible as well. When it was done I set it out in the sun flat down on the brim to dry. Flipping it occasionally at it firmed up.

I did end up with a little bit of discoloration which is not too surprising but all and all I am very happy with the results. It might could use another ironing and maybe a dab of glue here or there for the long haul. But considering I was already figuring worst case scenario was that I steal the ribbon and sweat for another project… I’m gonna deem this one a success! “Happy Boating”

View attachment 401951 View attachment 401952 View attachment 401953 View attachment 401954 View attachment 401955 View attachment 401956 View attachment 401957

some Before Shots….

View attachment 401960
A save like that needs to be worn. Well done, Joe.

"Bellona", Back Bow, Wool, possibly 1920s. There is no company mark and the Crown Tip Patch is missing. The Crown is over 6 inches Open so this is a tall one. I found this hat back in July 2019.

51877589798_49a66d9e0d_h.jpg

51877507861_9f1dfc720b_h.jpg

51876604407_9247653058_h.jpg

Unfortunately the Crown Tip Patch is missing. You can see how the Wool collects Lint.

51877515966_c886bf9b7a_h.jpg

Appears to be a Sheep (Wool Felt) possibly surrounded by the letters "E" and "S".

51876558457_73fefdded6_h.jpg

Still has the Size Stamp.

51876555302_688b60c02f_h.jpg
Very nice woolfelt survivor, Steve.
I'm still very much a novice at this hat thing, but that didn't stop me from grabbing an open crown Premier Stratoliner on sale and blundering my way through my first full-blown bashing experience. I figured if a non-handyman type like me can bluff my way through plumbing and electrical projects repeatedly without destroying my house just by watching a few YouTube videos, I can handle shaping a fedora with minimal casualties.

I think it came out okay, taper not too severe, reasonably graceful lines. Getting the basic shape in place was a snap, nailed the teardrop on the first try. The fine tuning took some patience, especially getting the pinch dents totally symmetrical. That took a little longer than expected. I used a softball for the crown bubble, which seemed to work well enough.

The big question is: What the hell was I thinking getting a black fur felt hat when I have a white German Shepherd that jettisons enough hair every day to make at least a dozen dog felt hats if those were a thing. I'll be spending a lot of time plucking white hairs off of this lid View attachment 401980 .
Well done on the bash and the hat. Next time when the hat brushes are on sale: go for it!:)

Hey all!
This entry-level Homero Ortega Cuence isn't fine or fancy, but it is my first Panama, and also the cause for my catching the straw hat bug.

View attachment 402033 View attachment 402034 View attachment 402035

I have nicer straws, but this one is very light and comfortable on a warm afternoon like this.
Have a great day!
It doesn what it needs to do. Very nice, John.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Wearing another of my conversion projects. This one started out as a Resistol Western that was too small and had a 6 1/2 open crown with a 4 inch brim width. I converted it to a Bengals football cap and sewed in an adjustable plastic thingy in the back so I can adjust it to my size.

The new open crown height is 4 inches in the front with a rake sloping to 3 7/8 in the back. As creased, it's the same measurements.
The brim is now a bill. The bill length is 2 5/8 inches. I even let the dog chew on it to give the cap a nice distressed look.

Bengals-Hat-1-A.jpg

Before:
Longhorn-1-A.jpg

After:
Bengals-Hat-2-A.jpg

Bengals-Hat-3-A.jpg

Bengals-Hat-4-A.jpg

And may your Buffalo Wings be the best you ever ate ever this Super Bowl Sunday.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Another wonderful week of hats, Stefan. Some real beauties there, but the Tirard just keeps on stealing the show. The colour combo is just so eye-catching.
A Brummel's "Nice" on this grey Sunday. I don't know whether this one is named after the French town or the English word. Either way, it's a nicely shaped hat. View attachment 402078 View attachment 402079
Thanks, Steve. It's time for a new rotation next week. The Brummel's is a wonderful hat. Seems to have taken some styling pointers from Borsalino.

The week in hats. Let's see.

Borsalino Gulaela Lupo View attachment 402063

Cambiaghi
View attachment 402064

Resistol Majestic
View attachment 402065

Tirard GrandRaid Ceylon
View attachment 402066

Stetson 3X beaver
View attachment 402067

Borsalino Potassio
View attachment 402068

Dalton
View attachment 402069

I dig that black Resistol, the Tirard is exceptional, and the brim binding on the Dalton is superb!

Wearing another of my conversion projects. This one started out as a Resistol Western that was too small and had a 6 1/2 open crown with a 4 inch brim width. I converted it to a Bengals football cap and sewed in an adjustable plastic thingy in the back so I can adjust it to my size.

The new open crown height is 4 inches in the front with a rake sloping to 3 7/8 in the back. As creased, it's the same measurements.
The brim is now a bill. The bill length is 2 5/8 inches. I even let the dog chew on it to give the cap a nice distressed look.

Bengals-Hat-1-A.jpg

Before:
Longhorn-1-A.jpg

After:
Bengals-Hat-2-A.jpg

Bengals-Hat-3-A.jpg

Bengals-Hat-4-A.jpg

And may your Buffalo Wings be the best you ever ate ever this Super Bowl Sunday.

Who Dey!!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
French velour hat, worn these days with sun and overcast skies
Morreton Velurex 1.jpg

Black velour behaves totally differently
Morreton Velurex 8.jpg
Morreton Velrex size 59 or 7 3/8 US arrived until these days in excellent condition except for some "walk" of the moths on the back of the crown
Velrex 5.jpg
The felt is very light and soft with excellent handling.
Velrex 1.jpg
An imposing and very light velour hat, it has a very good finish, not common on the Morreton production
Morreton Velurex 9.jpg

Have a nice Sunday and many compliments for your hats

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
French velour hat, worn these days with sun and overcast skies
View attachment 402111
Black velour behaves totally differently
View attachment 402113
Morreton Velrex size 59 or 7 3/8 US arrived until these days in excellent condition except for some "walk" of the moths on the back of the crown
View attachment 402121
The felt is very light and soft with excellent handling.
View attachment 402122
An imposing and very light velour hat, it has a very good finish, not common on the Morreton production
View attachment 402123
Have a nice Sunday and many compliments for your hats
An excellent looking Morreton, Daniele. Nothing brings out the best qualities in velour than the light of the sun. Congrats.

Might it once have had a wider ribbon or is the higher ringmark perhaps due to stacking?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou