Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Railbird

7FA5DFA5-9743-4872-9218-AEFFBED974E6.jpeg

The Shoe

One Too Many
My First post and my first hat with a brim larger than 1⅝". Just arrived yesterday. Purchased through etsy. It's a Dobbs with a 5" crown and a 2" brim. View attachment 428630
Welcome to the lounge. That’s quite a striking hat…but I was more surprised to see that little fraction on my screen! I had to go away and find how to do it. I was successful and can now write about my 7⅜ head rather than my 7 3/8 head. Truth be told, though, I usually write about my 59cm head.

Chaz

New in Town
Welcome to the lounge. That’s quite a striking hat…but I was more surprised to see that little fraction on my screen! I had to go away and find how to do it. I was successful and can now write about my 7⅜ head rather than my 7 3/8 head. Truth be told, though, I usually write about my 59cm head.
Thanks, glad you like it. Wish I could pinpoint a rough idea of how old it is, but after reading everything I can find my best guess is anywhere between the late 60's to now.
Glad I inspired you to figure out how to type fractions!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, glad you like it. Wish I could pinpoint a rough idea of how old it is, but after reading everything I can find my best guess is anywhere between the late 60's to now.
Glad I inspired you to figure out how to type fractions!
I second Gary's admiration of your Dobbs. Looks like it has been well kept.

Post more photos of inside the hat and any labels under the sweat. Dobbs aficionados might be able to pinpoint a closer date for you.

Welcome to the FL btw :)

My First post and my first hat with a brim larger than 1⅝". Just arrived yesterday. Purchased through etsy. It's a Dobbs with a 5" crown and a 2" brim. View attachment 428630

Welcome, Chaz! That is a nice looking hat. I don’t often like feathers on fedoras but this pairing really works. The lack of a metric size to go along with the US hat size makes me wonder if it isn’t at least a few decades old, but the rest of the hat does look quite modern. Sorry I couldn’t be of any real help there.

You’re indeed fortunate to be a size 7: if you’re inclined you can find some great vintage fedoras at bargain prices.

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
I'm wearing one of my favorite hats, the Tesi Manuel from JJ Hat Center. This is a sisol straw hat. Depending on the lighting in the room, the straw can look matte, glossy, or reflective. It also changes shades based on the light exposure. The straw is very stiff, and is easily reshaped with steam. This hat is based on the template for the Borsalino Anello. It has a 2 1/4" brim. I reshaped the center crease into a teardrop to match all my other straws. My teardrops are getting better.

DSC_0672.JPG

DSC_0673.JPG

DSC_0675.JPG

2022-05-25_12-26-13.jpg

Chaz

New in Town
The size thing is kinda funny. The first fedora I ever bought was brand new in the early 90's from the last Jewish Haberdasher on Spadina Ave in Toronto. He was in his 80's and I had my hair much longer than I do now. He spent a good 2 hours with me and I came away with a dark charcoal Biltmore Royal in a size 7⅛ Jump to a few months ago and my second fedora purchase a grey Mallory circa mid - late 60's also in a 7⅛. Now both of these hats fit the same -just a little loose.
Before I purchased the Malory I measured my head and found that it is 56.5 cm, 22¼". My next hat was a vinage Biltmore from approx the same period as the Malory, but in a size 7. Now I can wear it BUT it is definitely a 'snug-fit'.
Now this Dobbs is marked as a 7, but fits me between the two 7⅛ hats and the 7. In other words, where my fist 2 hats(both 7⅛) are a little loose and my third hat (7) is a little snug this Dobbs (7) is a perfect fit.
So I'm not sure what all this means other than it's best to try a hat on before you buy if at all possible. So there you have it, all that reaing for the most common sense and banal revelation.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner