Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Yes! Isn’t that thing awesome? I just got one in Sand recently and I can’t stop wearing it. Seriously I’m having to force myself to wear my other hats so they won’t be jealous. That’s a cool color and you wear it well. Congrats on a cool hat!

Thanks Gary! I've wanted one of these for years and finally stumbled across a used one in my size. I'm very happy with it.

Edward

Bartender

That's a gorgeous hat. The range of colours in these looks superb, too. I've been mostly wearing a couple of Akubra Capricorns as brimmed Summer hats for the last decade, but this is another level. Particularly, they real-leather sweatband is attractive. The Akubra are great, but as the pleather sweatband in one of mine broke down over time, the surface peeled off and left little black marks all over my shaved head. Ended up peeling off the band and relying on just the cloth seam-cover underneath. The colour range is also wider here; could see me in one of each.... Booked marked the Stetson site on these to watch out for an end of season sale, fingers crossed. All being well, work trips to Beijing in hotter weather will recommence in 2023 after a pandemic layoff. These would be ideal for same...

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
Cap day
293655937_6557004941000622_676255261765615141_n.jpg
293704051_6557004937667289_3112408904087149098_n.jpg

The Shoe

One Too Many
I’ve been seeing quite a few hemp Stratoliners on here recently. I’d be interested to know how they compare with the Milan straw Stratoliner that I got recently.
I know Eric @Short Balding Guy has the Milan version, too. Does anyone here have both?

I got rid of the few "Florentine Milan" Stetsons I've owned because I found them heavy and didn't like the glossy finish. I felt like I was wearing a plastic bucket on my head, especially in the sun.

I don't own any Stetson Hemps, but have two made by Peters Bros and find them to be lighter and considerably more ventilated.

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars
I’ve been seeing quite a few hemp Stratoliners on here recently. I’d be interested to know how they compare with the Milan straw Stratoliner that I got recently.
I know Eric @Short Balding Guy has the Milan version, too. Does anyone here have both?
I have the Hemp Strat and a Milan Latte if that helps. There’s a 1/2” difference in brim but otherwise I think they’re similar enough to compare materials.

I love both but I think the hemp feels more airy and limber in general than the Milan. The hemp weave feels very resilient and durable, yet not as rough a texture as the Milan. I’m not saying rough as a bad thing, just different. You can really tell a difference when holding them in your hands. As for looks - in person the hemp looks more expensive to me than the Milan, which of course it is… but, both have a look that dresses down casual or could be worn with a tie. I love that about both of them. I’ve seen the comments from some who don’t like the sheen and say it looks like plastic. I respect that and maybe it’s just a matter of personal preference - but I don’t see anything negative there. I think it’s tasteful, not too hot for my liking, and just maybe it’ll not disintegrate in one of our inevitable Southern USA popup rain showers. That’s a plus in my book, and by comparison they say that hemp can’t be damaged by rain. I’ll try not to test that, but where I live it’s not a matter of if but when.

My hemp Stratoliner is the my first experience with a hemp weave hat, and I will definitely be seeking out another one next spring for the season. I’m still enjoying the Milan Latte too. Wearing it as I type this.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I got rid of the few "Florentine Milan" Stetsons I've owned because I found them heavy and didn't like the glossy finish. I felt like I was wearing a plastic bucket on my head, especially in the sun.

I don't own any Stetson Hemps, but have two made by Peters Bros and find them to be lighter and considerably more ventilated.

I have the Hemp Strat and a Milan Latte if that helps. There’s a 1/2” difference in brim but otherwise I think they’re similar enough to compare materials.

I love both but I think the hemp feels more airy and limber in general than the Milan. The hemp weave feels very resilient and durable, yet not as rough a texture as the Milan. I’m not saying rough as a bad thing, just different. You can really tell a difference when holding them in your hands. As for looks - in person the hemp looks more expensive to me than the Milan, which of course it is… but, both have a look that dresses down casual or could be worn with a tie. I love that about both of them. I’ve seen the comments from some who don’t like the sheen and say it looks like plastic. I respect that and maybe it’s just a matter of personal preference - but I don’t see anything negative there. I think it’s tasteful, not too hot for my liking, and just maybe it’ll not disintegrate in one of our inevitable Southern USA popup rain showers. That’s a plus in my book, and by comparison they say that hemp can’t be damaged by rain. I’ll try not to test that, but where I live it’s not a matter of if but when.

My hemp Stratoliner is the my first experience with a hemp weave hat, and I will definitely be seeking out another one next spring for the season. I’m still enjoying the Milan Latte too. Wearing it as I type this.
Interesting. I don’t find my Milan Strat particularly heavy, and compared to the Akubra Capricorn I wear on rainy days in summer, it doesn’t feel plasticy. My only experience with hemp is my Akubra Range, which is a great hat, but a very stiff hemp. I’m gues the hemp Strat is far softer, with a snap brim like the Milan.

Interesting. I don’t find my Milan Strat particularly heavy, and compared to the Akubra Capricorn I wear on rainy days in summer, it doesn’t feel plasticy. My only experience with hemp is my Akubra Range, which is a great hat, but a very stiff hemp. I’m gues the hemp Strat is far softer, with a snap brim like the Milan.

I was sitting outside at an air show in July several years ago wearing my Florentine Milan Strat, and after about an hour I just felt like I was baking under it. I told my wife I'd do better with a colander on my head - at least it would have holes! Never wore it again. Many here seem to like them, however. YMMV

My hemps are stiffer than a genuine Milan, for certain, and a little more rough to the touch, but I like them quite a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot